Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should I be able to defend my family in our own home without fear?

An incident occurred early this morning.
It started when hearing noises from next door and outside at 4am I thought the neighbours must be going away as sounding like must be going to from car.
At 4.30 came down to kitchen to get a glass of water noises start again walk to the hallway to find someone at the door trying to get in now put knife in hand as In kitchen.
I punch the front door telling them to fuck off voice comes over oh sorry blokes out his head either drunk or drugs.
Have sort of realised by now he probably not trying to break in.
Ring the police as the wife's telling me he still outside .
The scariest part for me in all this was if anyone was to enter our home they or me would be not walking out I'd be asking questions later and that if it was them lying on the floor half dead there is if only a slight chance I could end up in prison.
All for what i see defending the family.

Comments

• Options
    Blimey.
  • Options
    Smack them, don't stab them.
  • Options
    If some one invades your home that is grounds for self defence. Break the guys legs but don't stab him.
  • Options
    Buy yourself a cheap cricket bat or baseball bat from sports direct and keep it somewhere accessible
  • Options
    Krav Maga seems a bit gimmicky to me. Cricket bat should do the trick.

As for the above, sounds like a drunk couldn't find his home.
  • Options

So glad I don't live in London. Many parts now not safe imo.

Oi I live in Kent leafy bromley
    The bat was upstairs I was downstairs near kitchen hence the knife
    Lucky enough it come to nothing.
    It was when I was thinking afterwards you could top up I prison for keeping the family safe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can you get pepper-spray in The U.K. these days?
  • Options
    When I moved from Greenwich down to Gravesend I looked at crime figures. Burglary and car crime figures were largely the same in Kent as in London. Street crime (muggings, etc.) and drug crime far lower outside the capital.

If you're going to keep a baseball bat near your front door, just ensure you have a glove and ball nearby, should divert any questions about whether it was kept as a weapon or as a piece of sports equipment.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

So glad I don't live in London. Many parts now not safe imo.

Oi I live in Kent leafy bromley
    The bat was upstairs I was downstairs near kitchen hence the knife
    Lucky enough it come to nothing.
    It was when I was thinking afterwards you could top up I prison for keeping the family safe.
    You can do pretty much anything to an assailant if you fear for your life. What you can't do is beat him to the ground, go away, get a knife and stab him.

The link I provided is for my mates company, myself and my son have done about 20 hours of self defence with him. He is good.
    If you'd like to join us for a taster PM me.
  • Options
    The reality is you can do most things if they break in. Short of shooting a running man in the back with a shotgun that is.
  • Options
    I'd of asked him if he was a veggie before physically assaulting him.
  • Options

with a Brussel sprout.

• Options

with a Brussel sprout.

Waved a new blue at him
  • Options
    I had five guys in balaclavas carrying crowbars in my bedroom at 1am. If I'd tried anything other than talking I'd have been fucked. Sure, having a gun would have been amazing. But saying the right stuff meant nobody got hurt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get some dogs if you can. They'll wake you and everybody else up at the first sound of somebody approaching let alone trying to break in and they'll let any intruders know they've picked the wrong house.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about that CLB. I can understand how you feel, but I wouldn't be posting comments on the internet, "they or me would be not walking out". Should something happen, and should someone's lawyer see it, it could be taken as evidence of pre-meditated violence on your part (a long shot I know, but you never know what will happen and how things could be construed). I'd advise amending your post and when you have I'll delete this one.

Anyway here's hoping that it was just a one-off.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    agree .. no knife just a bat or possibly a mallet, something hard but not potentially lethal .. and if you're cornered or attacked, belt the fucker as hard as you like .. but always give them a chance to 'retreat' .. self defence is the key to causing an intruder serious injury and 'getting away with it' .. it's a VERY frightening experience having trouble in or around your home .. you gotta defend yourself and your family though
  • Options
    edited December 2016

agree .. no knife just a bat or possibly a mallet, something hard but not potentially lethal .. and if you're cornered or attacked, belt the fucker as hard as you like .. but always give them a chance to 'retreat' .. self defence is the key to causing an intruder serious injury and 'getting away with it' .. it's a VERY frightening experience having trouble in or around your home .. you gotta defend yourself and your family though

But luckily you've left the urban cesspit of Beckenham behind you now Lincs.

;-)
  • Options
    Uboat said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I had five guys in balaclavas carrying crowbars in my bedroom at 1am. If I'd tried anything other than talking I'd have been fucked. Sure, having a gun would have been amazing. But saying the right stuff meant nobody got hurt.

Join us after the break for more 'When rent boys go bad' here on Channel 5.
    Hilarious!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

But luckily you've left the urban cesspit of Beckenham behind you now Lincs.

;-)
    well, if you live in Beckenham, it would suit you, as it's a cesspit
  • Options
    Hammer, straight across the knees
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I don't care about the reprocussions of someone entering my house, they deserve all what they get in my eyes, they shouldn't of been there, I hope the situation never arises but if it did I hope the jury would find me not guilty because if I was on the panel I could never convict someone for defending their home no matter what happened to the scum.