Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Please lobby your MP to sign this Early Day Motion about a robust fit and proper person test

Graham Jones MP has tabled the following Early Day Motion in the House of Commons:

FOOTBALL CORRUPTION
Date tabled: 26.10.2016
Primary sponsor: Jones, Graham

"That this House is concerned by the widening detachment between the fans who love the game and a growing number of football owners, authorities and leading figures; is shocked that the England manager has resigned after just 67 days for what the Football Association has called inappropriate conduct and a significant error of judgment; is alarmed by a continued lack of transparency in football, given that a newspaper investigation was required to bring these allegations to light; is further concerned by the widespread nature of the problem, since there is evidence of improper transfer activity by a number of managers; notes the comments of Gary Lineker that it is time for a proper police investigation into such allegations and that the game is rife with corruption; further notes that the fans of many clubs including Blackburn Rovers, Coventry City, Leeds United, Charlton Athletic and Blackpool, including clubs in Scotland, have lost faith in their clubs' owners amid deep concerns about the future direction of their clubs; and calls for rapid progress from the Government in legislating to introduce a robust fit and proper persons test for those who seek to purchase football clubs which will require clearly defined business plans for how they will safeguard the club's future and which will mandate fan representation on football club boards."

An Early Day Motion very rarely results in the subject actually being debated in the chamber. It is more of an opportunity to register an opinion and gather support. Nevertheless, the number of MP signatures an EDM attracts does have an effect on the amount of publicity the issue it is raising receives.

Local MPs Matthew Pennycook and Clive Efford are unable to sign because tradition says that ministers and shadow ministers should not do so. BUT - if you live somewhere where your MP is a back bencher, please bring this (EDM 611) to their attention and ask them to support it.

The EDM has so far been supported by:

Amess, David Conservative Party Southend West 16.11.2016
Blenkinsop, Tom Labour Party Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland 16.11.2016
Brown, Alan Scottish National Party Kilmarnock and Loudoun 14.11.2016
Chapman, Jenny Labour Party Darlington 16.11.2016
Cooper, Rosie Labour Party West Lancashire 03.11.2016
Cryer, John Labour Party Leyton and Wanstead 08.11.2016
Cunningham, Jim Labour Party Coventry South 07.11.2016
Godsiff, Roger Labour Party Birmingham Hall Green 02.11.2016
Hollern, Kate Labour Party Blackburn 26.10.2016
Jones, Graham Labour Party Hyndburn 26.10.2016
Marsden, Gordon Labour Party Blackpool South 07.11.2016
Matheson, Chris Labour Party City of Chester 27.10.2016
Shannon, Jim Democratic Unionist Party Strangford 27.10.2016
Stephens, Christopher Scottish National Party Glasgow South West

Comments

• Options
    I can write to my home MP and my Uni MP ams I will do so. If someone more eloquent/sensible than me could built point a few things I should say and how to say them I will happily write to both.
  • Options
    Got excited about doing this...then realized I don't have an MP :/
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Got excited about doing this...then realized I don't have an MP :/

The A Team must be local to you, if you can find them...
  • Options
    Clive Efford is no longer Shadow Minister for Sport. Rosena Allin-Khan took over that position in October.
  • Options
    Clive Efford's website still says he is Shadow Minister for Sport but that may be because he hasn't updated it. We have written to him again about supporting the EDM.
  • Options

I can write to my home MP and my Uni MP ams I will do so. If someone more eloquent/sensible than me could built point a few things I should say and how to say them I will happily write to both.

Canters - there are few more eloquent than you.

I would suggest you simply copy and paste the wording of the EDM and preface it with something along the lines of "as a football supporter I am dismayed by the increasing number of football clubs whose owners have blatantly ignored and alienated the communities in which their clubs are based and I therefore urge you to support EDM 611 which reads as follows:"
  • Options
    castrust said:

Clive Efford's website still says he is Shadow Minister for Sport but that may be because he hasn't updated it. We have written to him again about supporting the EDM.

http://www.parliament.uk/biographies/commons/clive-efford/165
    A bit more up to date. Clive resigned from the front bench in June along with a number of MP's to try and force Corbyn to quit.
  • Options
    castrust said:

Canters - there are few more eloquent than you.

I would suggest you simply copy and paste the wording of the EDM and preface it with something along the lines of "as a football supporter I am dismayed by the increasing number of football clubs whose owners have blatantly ignored and alienated the communities in which their clubs are based and I therefore urge you to support EDM 611 which reads as follows:"
    Ohh you're too kind *blushes*

Thanks for the tips I'll get on this and send something that both of them.
  • Options
    Done.

Colonel Stewart, MP for Beckenham better add his name to the list!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2016
    That's it - not voting for Bob again!

He may be prompt in replying to my email from his iPhone, but he said:

"addix",

Good to hear from you but honestly I will never sign an EDM again. They each cost about £350 a month and not one, to my knowledge has achieved anything. There are also hundreds of them so cost the taxpayer a huge amount. Some MPs don't care and sign them regardless (for peace?) but I cannot.

With best wishes,

Bob Stewart

Vote UKIP!

EDIT:

His reply to my response asking if there was anything he would suggest we do to rid ourselves of our owners:

Whilst these guys arrive in our country flashing massive cash that they have purloined somewhere we are sunk. Clubs go to the man with the dosh and morality, tradition and downright fan loyalty for many years take a back seat. Yuck
  • Options
    I went to the Eltham Labour Party office today where it was confirmed to me that Clive Efford is free to sign Early Day Motions. The guy promised to remind Clive to support this one. I said I was surprised that he hadn't already signed it.
  • Options
    addix said:

Done.

Colonel Stewart, MP for Beckenham better add his name to the list!

He's a proper hard bastard.
    At least, he was until John McClane blew up his plane.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Received a latter today from Jo Johnson , who says he unfortunately can't vote for the EDM as he's a govt minister.

He did however say that we "may be interested to learn that's Karen Bradley, 60 of state for culture media and sport, have spoken to the FA. The FA confirmed that it is investigating corruption throughout this Within the football industry. It is important that the FA demonstrates good governance, which includes pursuing corrupt practices and other illicit activities within its poor. Furthermore I Agree with the comment that corruption must be addressed all levels, regardless of each team is playing standards of finances ."

He continued to say that "more broadly you may be interested to learn of the UK sport and sport England recently launched a code of sports governance. UK sports bodies and organisations wishing to receive public funding must adhere to this new code, thereby helping improve ethical standards across national sport. The principles require sporting bodies to comply with all applicable laws and regulations, 20 take responsible financial strategic planning, and to establish appropriate controls and risk management procedures."

Johnson als commented saying that he "found the CAS Trusts article - which included the EDMs description- to be highly informative, particularly the section discussing the fans desire to improve football governance"
  • Options
    So we are asking MPs to Help advise the FA on what maybe a fit and proper person to run a football club? Maybe we could run it past the FIFA old school just to be on the safe side. ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2016

castrust said:

http://www.parliament.uk/biographies/commons/clive-efford/165
    A bit more up to date. Clive resigned from the front bench in June along with a number of MP's to try and force Corbyn to quit.
    Yeah saw some Twitter beef between him and Momentum a month or so ago, seems like they were trying to undermine him in response - it was all very Labour.