Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welcome Tom Rubashow - New CAFC Head of Comms

Comments

• Options

To be fair we know they spent hours arguing over the Slade statement. So Rubashow might have had an input and even won some battles within it, who knows, but Meire and Duchatelet's fingerprints are all over it. The consistent message is that they buy in advice but don't actually follow it, as Matt has written in his piece in VOTV.

I wouldn't interpret the delay as them agonising over the wording so much as Katrien realising as she was watching I'm A Celebrity that she'd forgotten to do something and rushing it out in an ad break.
  • Options
    He'll be gone by jan. He'll believe that he can turn round this cess pit of a football club, it will be a shining light on his cv. It won't take him long to realise everything that happens at this club is at the mercy of lunatic of an owner......working with KM will be a blast for his creative side, partnering with the woman whose sole input to the marketing side of the club has been to put in a fans' sofa, get your DRUM awards out now
  • Options
    Says it all really that the priority was to appoint a Head of Comms before a manager. The irony is that the PR mantra is all about the 33M 'investment' and engaging with fans, but everything they do just alienates the fans - including this appointment, which won't fool anyone into booking their next holiday in North Korea
  • Options
    I can see why he would want the job. His LinkedIn profile makes it look like he wants to work in football. This might be a step (on the basis that he will learn a lot about the internal running of a football club) to take a similar job at a bigger (presumably Premier League) club.

I have no idea but I suspect that the Premier League clubs have just as much idea of value for money in the backroom staff as they seem to for the playing staff. A year at Charlton now might make all the difference if/when Chelsea or Arsenal want to pay someone £250k a year to head up their Communications team.

I have no idea if this chap is any good at his job - it can't help, just now, that he looks about 12 but it does seem to be the RD way to appoint young people that are not experienced (nor capable) enough to do the job and they can learn in post, or be moved on if they can't cut it.

Chances are that a move to Charlton now will mess up his career but if he is confident enough he won't believe that - Just look at Scott Parker when Chelsea came sniffing around.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

I can see why he would want the job. His LinkedIn profile makes it look like he wants to work in football. This might be a step (on the basis that he will learn a lot about the internal running of a football club) to take a similar job at a bigger (presumably Premier League) club.

I have no idea but I suspect that the Premier League clubs have just as much idea of value for money in the backroom staff as they seem to for the playing staff. A year at Charlton now might make all the difference if/when Chelsea or Arsenal want to pay someone £250k a year to head up their Communications team.

I have no idea if this chap is any good at his job - it can't help, just now, that he looks about 12 but it does seem to be the RD way to appoint young people that are not experienced (nor capable) enough to do the job and they can learn in post, or be moved on if they can't cut it.

Chances are that a move to Charlton now will mess up his career but if he is confident enough he won't believe that - Just look at Scott Parker when Chelsea came sniffing around.

Not always...
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Is he the Congo Chris of the PR world?

What was the reference of him working in Basketball? I'll ask around about him at the next London Lions game on Friday.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Is he the Congo Chris of the PR world?

What was the reference of him working in Basketball? I'll ask around about him at the next London Lions game on Friday.

Worked on the NBA UK account at Pitch.

Just read the statement, and I have to admit, if the club wasn't a shower of sh*te it's just the sort of comms we ought to have been putting out months (years) ago. Pity it's all too little too late.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Rubashow confirmed in PR week

Matt Wright's original article from VOTV131 on the club's use of consultants, which broke the story, is also now available in full online.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bevington. Must be leaking some serious cash to him. It's only 2% of fans though huh Katrien?
  • Options
    "In his new role Tom will devise the club’s integrated communications strategy and manage the communications department’s implementation of that strategy,"

Literally makes no sense.
  • Options
    Wow, wonder what Adrian Bevingtons rate is !
  • Options

"In his new role Tom will devise the club’s integrated communications strategy and manage the communications department’s implementation of that strategy,"

It is horrible PR speak but it is an article on PR Week so I presume that is how they speak.

But it does make sense to me.

"work out what we're going to do about comms and then manage the team to make it happen"
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Wow, wonder what Adrian Bevingtons rate is !

A bit cheaper than Alistair Campbell
  • Options
    I believe Bevington is on Twitter
  • Options
    It reminds me of the losing politicians who bemoan the fact that they didn't get their message across to the electorate, whilst not even considering that the actual issue is everything they do and everything they stand for.

Maybe Ms Meire would be better suited to career in politics, where her flexible approach to the truth would pass without notice.
  • Options
    also says to me they are a long way from giving up/selling up, and believe they can win..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's worked with some high profile accounts/clients - why the hell would he work with the car crash that is the Charlton SMT???
  • Options
    A challenge, but more likely lots of CASH!
  • Options
    Can't we buy some players instead?
  • Options
    If you are interested in what Tom Rubashow looks like, he is on the pre MKD tunnel cam video released by the club, seen chatting to Katrien Miere.
  • Options

I agree.
    Seems a bit bonkers to me that a club a few years ago was the envy of most outside the top half of the premier league has to now employ people who have to come up with a "strategy " to communicate with their customers (supporters).
    I would say they have lost the plot but it's clear they never tried to understand the plot and are now in a position where spending money has become their get out strategy.
    I hope Tom does a fine job a goes on to have a stellar career, though he might want to put on hold updating his LinkedIn account for a few months.
  • Options

It is horrible PR speak but it is an article on PR Week so I presume that is how they speak.

But it does make sense to me.

"work out what we're going to do about comms and then manage the team to make it happen"
    Sadly that is how pompous MBAs talk. They think it makes them sound clever and important!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

If you are interested in what Tom Rubashow looks like, he is on the pre MKD tunnel cam video released by the club, seen chatting to Katrien Miere.

I wish I hadn't viewed that.
    Kat in shorts, was she hoping to play?