Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Very disturbing music headline

2»

Comments

• Options
    I was never a Genesis fan, but he was an ace drummer I do have to say.
  • Options
    I am obviously in the minority on this one. I like the post Gabriel Genesis (loved the original stuff) and Phil's early solo work was ok. Genesis were the first band I saw live I think in 86.
  • Options

Against All Odds is one of my guilty pleasures musically.

Take a look at yourself
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I'd like to be as shit, talentless and poor as him.

Talentless? Hmm.

As a jazz/funk musician, I'm gonna have to disagree. His drumming is pretty much exactly what everyone wants - highly nuanced and developed sense of rhythm; great "groove"; responsive to other musicians; and some very very solid chops.

Not my choice - I much prefer Tony Williams; Buddy Rich; and Sput Searight (for a more modern flavour) - but a quality drummer.

His songwriting is also pretty on point - Sussudio is a solid tune with clear knowledge of harmony and theory, even though I don't think he was the guy behind the horn arrangements etc in the big band version (which, btw, is far superior to the pop version imo).

If he can't drum nowadays, though, then that's a bit gutting.
    I was being sarcastic.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

I'd like to be as shit, talentless and poor as him.

Talentless? Hmm.

As a jazz/funk musician, I'm gonna have to disagree. His drumming is pretty much exactly what everyone wants - highly nuanced and developed sense of rhythm; great "groove"; responsive to other musicians; and some very very solid chops.

Not my choice - I much prefer Tony Williams; Buddy Rich; and Sput Searight (for a more modern flavour) - but a quality drummer.

His songwriting is also pretty on point - Sussudio is a solid tune with clear knowledge of harmony and theory, even though I don't think he was the guy behind the horn arrangements etc in the big band version (which, btw, is far superior to the pop version imo).

If he can't drum nowadays, though, then that's a bit gutting.
    I was being sarcastic.
    Ah, fair. T'internet doesn't always put sarcasm across well!
  • Options
    Went to see him live at a small venue in Brixton in the early 80s.
    He played (in the air tonight ) solo and his drumming was second to none
  • Options

Take a look at yourself

What can I say? I've sobbed many a drunken tear to that song........
  • Options

Take a look at yourself

What can I say? I've sobbed many a drunken tear to that song........
    You and many many others
  • Options
    I think our strikers are Phil Collins fans - they all love "I Missed Again".
  • Options
    After seeing him on The Jonathan Ross show on Saturday, I'm not convinced the gigs will happen. Phil Collins could hardly stand up & looked to be in a lot of pain hobbling around
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's in the air tonight.!
  • Options

After seeing him on The Jonathan Ross show on Saturday, I'm not convinced the gigs will happen. Phil Collins could hardly stand up & looked to be in a lot of pain hobbling around

agree , i felt very sorry for him ...surely he cant need the money that much ...i would hope his health means more to him
  • Options
    Here is a double wig out guilty pleasure for those inclined.
    Phil and a bit of ABBA wrapped up together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p98PjtSfNWo
  • Options
    I am a huge Genesis fan, both with Gabriel and without but I would not cross the road to watch Phil Collins sing solo.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Phil is a physical wreck and his voice didn't sound great either.

He came across as a bit of a twat & somewhat like the Wealdstone raider.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3417011/Frail-Phil-Collins-hobbles-Miami-walking-stick-continues-recovery-major-surgery-year.html
  • Options

"Phil is a physical wreck and his voice didn't sound great either.

He came across as a bit of a twat & somewhat like the Wealdstone raider."

Peter Gabriel's Amazon review of Face Value....

• Options
    Cancelled his Royal Albert Hall shows after a fall. Can't say I'm surprised
  • Options
    Shame - I'm a big Phil Collins fan & probably in the minority by saying I prefer the post Gabriel Genesis - Trick of the Tail gets in my ALL TIME top 10 albums with Face Value & No Jacket Required getting into the top 25.