Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football Manager 2017

Comments

• Options
    Has anyone got this yet? Was looking to but see a few bad reviews on Steam regarding high scoring games so was thinking if best to wait and see if it gets fixed.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Being Charlton on it is difficult, the games itself is fine. I've won the league but have 0% transfer revenue from sales, little wriggle room with wages and all down to club debt repayments, hmmmm. I do have a desire to leave with the next job offer though. Pretty much a reflection of true life, until RD leaves its doomed.
  • Options

Has anyone got this yet? Was looking to but see a few bad reviews on Steam regarding high scoring games so was thinking if best to wait and see if it gets fixed.

That can be down to the way you play. If you play attacking football, which a lot of people tend to do, you're more likely to have high scoring games.

I think the demo is out now, probably worth giving that a go if you're not sure.
  • Options
    Played it a bit last night, managed to get the wage bill down to £156,000 so far (still about £15,000 over). Got rid of Johnson to Scunthorpe and sold a clause on Jenkinson and Gomez to help out financially.

Got Gedion Zelalem on loan from Arsenal who should add some quality to our CM options (Arsenal paying his wages in full).

Also have Mason Holgate on loan from Everton. Wages being paid in full by Everton.

The board won't find me a senior Affiliate to help with cheap loans so your best bet is to look at youngsters at the top prem clubs as they're more willing to let players out and pay all the wages.

I have a few more friendlies to play but pre season has been good so far.

I've set up a 4-2-3-1 with Rudd, Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Fox, Crofts, Ulvestad, Holmes, Lookman, Botaka, Ajose.

I'll try Lookman behind Ajose to try and fit him in as well as Botaka and Holmes.

Plan B will be a 4-4-2 with Crofts and Zelalem in midfield rather than Crofts and Zelalem. Zelalem is a bit better going forward but weaker defending so he'd possibly make us a bit more vulnerable in a 4-2-3-1.

Just need to offload Ba and Tex now to get the rest of the wage down and possibly add 1 or 2 more loans.

Promotion should be really easy, it will get more interesting after that.

• Options
    Couldn't find the option to throw things on the pitch! Uncle Roly was being a tight-wad so I may have used the editor to get a bigger transfer budget and up the players attributes. A lot.
  • Options
    Is that kind of cheating?
  • Options
    Yep - but at least I get to see Charlton win something and get better players. I'm going to see if the editor lets me edit the owners and night-Meire too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    16 games into the season and I'm second with 32 points with Posh top on 33. Only down side so far is I'm struggling to get Ajose scoring regularly. He's on about 8 for the season but those came within the space of about 4 games.
  • Options
    On the demo still and it's not great so far, i have had 3 separate games where I go 3 goals ahead only to draw or lose. Ulvestad missed 2 penalties within 3 minutes against Everton in the EFL cup, bastard, and having played 12 games we have won 4, drawn 4 lost 4, sit 12th in the table.

Team is

Rudd
    Solly Browning Pearce Fox
    Ulvestad Crofts
    Ajose Zelalem Lookman
    Magennis

Lookman and Ajose are killing it on the wings, Browning in on loan as Bauer injured for 6 months, Tex sold to Braga, Ba sold to Caen, Johnson mutual termination
  • Options
    Hi, has anyone got any tips of some good players that you can get on a free? Just looking to strengthen my squad, no one too good though, preferably a centre back because I only have 6 of those.

Alternatively, if you find anyone who you think might be good based on their stats and require a pretty big fee, let me know and I will consider it, I already have some good players that teams want to buy, and I do like to gamble on players that aren't even known in their front room!

Thanks!

Thomas
  • Options
    Just remembered I also got Lynden Gooch (just for the name) and Jack Harrison on loan to add depth in wide areas.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    The government did not want brexit, they spent taxpayers money producing flyers to convince people to remain. If a detailed plan was produce in advance of Brexit and was shared with the public this may have encouraged more people to vote out.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Any success stories from virtual Charlton managers to cheer up someone who went to Swindon on Saturday?

I haven't got the game, but fear I'd be sacked in it for calling in Morgan Fox to numerous meetings to boo him to his face, putting Crofts and Jacko on 100% sprint training and fining Foley 2 weeks wages (approximately every 2 weeks) for 'nicking a living'.

(Mandatory disclaimer - I actually quite like Fox)
  • Options

Any success stories from virtual Charlton managers to cheer up someone who went to Swindon on Saturday?

I haven't got the game, but fear I'd be sacked in it for calling in Morgan Fox to numerous meetings to boo him to his face, putting Crofts and Jacko on 100% sprint training and fining Foley 2 weeks wages (approximately every 2 weeks) for 'nicking a living'.

(Mandatory disclaimer - I actually quite like Fox)

Fox is my most consistent player alongside Pearce.

Foley starts ahead of Solly, Ajose complains about being dropped despite him not scoring in 8 games whilst Magennis scored 11 in that time, Botaka is a machine with 12 assists already and Crofts loves a booking or 9 (just beat MK Dons 1-0 on boxing day, 23 games played)

Am second in the table behind Oxford, knocked out of the EFL by Bournemouth, the Checkatrade by Swindon and have drawn Norwich at home in FA Cup Third Round

Signed Diakite and Motta on free transfers as cover for the squad, sent Umerah, Muldoon, Kennedy, Lennon, Aribo, Mitov and Dijksteel on loan which freed up a tiny bit of wages
  • Options
    29 games in and top of the league on 61 points.

Signed Zelalem (Arsenal), Holgate (Everton), Harry Wilson (Liverpool), Fulton (Swansea) all on loan at the start of the season just to give the squad a bit more depth.

January window I signed Adam Armstrong on loan from Newcastle as Novak and Magennis got injured. Armstrong has scored 4 in 4 now. Ajose has been disappointing all season. I also signed Graham Carey from Plymouth for 175k as he only had 6 months left on his contract. I've been impressed with him in real life the few times I've seen him play and he looks a good buy so far.

Bauer has the best average rating in the whole league with a 7.46 rating and Botaka has the most assists with 16 so far.

Lookman our top scorer with 11 goals.

As I said in a previous post promotion will be very easy first season so I'm planning for next season now.

• Options

Signed Zelalem (Arsenal), Holgate (Everton), Harry Wilson (Liverpool), Fulton (Swansea) all on loan at the start of the season just to give the squad a bit more depth.

January window I signed Adam Armstrong on loan from Newcastle as Novak and Magennis got injured. Armstrong has scored 4 in 4 now. Ajose has been disappointing all season. I also signed Graham Carey from Plymouth for 175k as he only had 6 months left on his contract. I've been impressed with him in real life the few times I've seen him play and he looks a good buy so far.

Bauer has the best average rating in the whole league with a 7.46 rating and Botaka has the most assists with 16 so far.

As I said in a previous post promotion will be very easy first season so I'm planning for next season now.

what formation and tactics you playing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally I put them in control mode with fluid team shape, I then add instructions; drop slightly deeper, run at defence, lower tempo, retain possession, shorter passing, exploit the flanks, play out of defence, look for overlap, work ball into box, prevent short distribution.

I play 424 wide, which means my midfield gets a bit overrun at times, but Ulvestad and Crofts have the energy to withstand it, if Jackson plays I switch to 4123 Wide or 451 Wide
  • Options
    edited November 2016

I find it's best to keep it simple in the lower divisions with few instructions.

I'm playing 4-4-1-1, standard and fluid.

Team instructions are play out from the back and run at defence.

This needs to change during the match depending on how things are going. If I'm winning with 20 minutes left I'll change it about to defend the lead.

Player roles:

Solly and Fox as full backs with a support duty.
    Pearce and Bauer centre backs both with a defend duty.
    Holmes on the left as a winger with an attack duty.
    Crofts ball winning midfielder defend duty.
    Ulvestad box to box.
    Botaka winger with a support duty.
    Lookman Advanced playmaker, attack duty.
    Whoever plays upfront advanced playmaker.

We're currently about 33 games unbeaten in all competitions.
  • Options
    This year is not very realistic.

I'm in February. Haven't been sacked yet, haven't been told who to play, and Lookman still hasn't been sold.
  • Options

Is that kind of cheating?

Mrkinski said:

Couldn't find the option to throw things on the pitch! Uncle Roly was being a tight-wad so I may have used the editor to get a bigger transfer budget and up the players attributes. A lot.

Not really cheating - you can achieve the same effect in real life by getting your CEO to be very nice to Uncle Roly and by bringing in that top ranking coach he always recommends.!
  • Options

I find it's best to keep it simple in the lower divisions with few instructions.

I'm playing 4-4-1-1, standard and fluid.

Team instructions are play out from the back and run at defence.

This needs to change during the match depending on how things are going. If I'm winning with 20 minutes left I'll change it about to defend the lead.

Player roles:

Solly and Fox as full backs with a support duty.
    Pearce and Bauer centre backs both with a defend duty.
    Holmes on the left as a winger with an attack duty.
    Crofts ball winning midfielder defend duty.
    Ulvestad box to box.
    Botaka winger with a support duty.
    Lookman Advanced playmaker, attack duty.
    Whoever plays upfront advanced playmaker.

We're currently about 33 games unbeaten in all competitions.
    That's where we are going wrong we need to get Croft off his admire the opposition as they run past you duty.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Personally I put them in control mode with fluid team shape, I then add instructions; drop slightly deeper, run at defence, lower tempo, retain possession, shorter passing, exploit the flanks, play out of defence, look for overlap, work ball into box, prevent short distribution.

I play 424 wide, which means my midfield gets a bit overrun at times, but Ulvestad and Crofts have the energy to withstand it, if Jackson plays I switch to 4123 Wide or 451 Wide

Interesting use of Crofts and energy in the same sentence.
  • Options
    I play on FM Touch as I don't have the time for the longest form of the game.

I got promoted in the first season, finishing second to MK Dons :neutral:

Played 4-1-2-3 with Magennis up top on his own as a Defensive Forward (support)

Magennis was the top scorer in the league with 30. Jackson was our POTY, with Pearce and Botaka not far behind.

Sold Fox straight away as Leeds offered £1.2 million. Replaced him with a loan left back from Preston.
    I signed Samba Diakite on a free to share the CDM workload with Charles-Cook before Kashi returned from injury.
    Ulvestad got injured in December so I sent him back in January, and replaced him with Tom Davies from Everton.
    I tried to retain Foley for a few extra months, but he insisted on a 2 year contract, so I signed Reece Wabara on a free instead as right back cover.

Into the next season and I've not spent much, picking up a few good free agents in the summer (eg. Louis Thompson, Deji Oshilaja, Zeki Fryers) and a few decent loans (paying nothing) like Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Tom Davies, and Curro.
    Sold Ceballos (£750k), Jason Pearce (£2.2million), Dillon Phillips to Palace (£80k). Couldn't manage to sell Vetokele, Holmes or Ajose.

Current team:

GK - Ben Garratt (80k from Crewe)
    RB - Chris Solly
    CB - Patrick Bauer
    CB - Naby Sarr / Deji Oshilaja
    LB - Zeki Fryers
    CDM - Ahmed Kashi
    CM - Tom Davies / Curro
    CM - Louis Thompson
    RW - Ainsley Maitland Niles (injured) / Nicky Ajose
    LW - Ademola Lookman
    ST - Josh Magennis / Tony Watt

6th in the Championship at the moment (12 games) after a poor start, but I think midtable is realistic as the league is quite strong.

Bauer is unhappy as I priced him out of a move to Birmingham. Tried Watt as a False Nine, but results have been much better with Magennis up top. Lookman has no consistency, but occasionally has a 9+/10 game. Most of the Premier League is watching him so I might sell him in January.
  • Options
    Just started my game with Charlton having bought this yesterday, been pretty inactive in the transfer window... except for replacing all of my poached backroom staff.

Curbishley in as Director of Football (no idea what they do, but couldn't resist)

In;
    Zelalem in CM from Arsenal on loan
    Williams in DC/DMC/MC from Liverpool on loan
    Want to get a proper AMC in, but might just use Zelalem

Out:
    Relegation Roger out for £21k to Scunny
    Can't seem to ship out Ba

Going for the same formation as someone on here

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Pearce Fox
    Crofts Ulvestad
    Botaka Zelalem Lookman
    Ajose

Away from home will most of the time swap Zelalem (in AMC) for Williams (DMC) to the sound of boos for my negative tactics from the travelling faithful.
  • Options
    Promoted first season finishing top on 101 points.

Quite a large turnover of players in pre season. I sold most of my fringe players and managed to raise about 4 million in funds. Roland decided he wouldn't actually let me spend a penny of that though so I've just got the 1 million I had anyway.

Spent fees on John Fleck (Sheff Utd) , Josh Scowen (Barnsley), Sergio Tejera (Taragonna).
    Free Transfers: Ben Garratt (Crewe), Yaser Kasim (Swindon), Sammy Ameobi, Jandro, Adam Le Fondre and Lloyd Isgrove.
    Loans: Armstrong back again from Newcastle, he did well for me in the second half of last season.
    Kasey Palmer and Jordan Williams.

Just need a couple of more back up players in before the season starts now.