Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Playfair Qatar Weekend of Action

Hi everyone,

Had this through from a colleague of mine, so said I would forward it on,

On the weekend of the 15th of October, fans around the country will join together in calling on FIFA and Qatar to take urgent action to protect the rights and lives of the workers preparing the country to host the 2022 World Cup.

Qatar’s laws mean workers are effectively owned by their employers, so they can’t walk away from dangerous work. Now new laws mean employers can keep workers from leaving the country for up to five years.
Qatar is secretive, and independent researchers and journalists are harassed and even arrested when they investigate the treatment of workers, but Qatar’s own figures suggest that hundreds of young men may already have died building infrastructure required for the World Cup, with thousands more at risk as the major stadium building phase approaches.

Fans Make Their Voice Heard
We know that FIFA’s sponsors are rightly nervous about association with a World Cup built on the back of slavery and exploitation. However, only pressure from fans can really make them realise that sponsoring Qatar 2022 will – without urgent reform – be like sponsoring an oil slick.

The Weekend of Action
If watch – or play! – live football, you can help. We want fans to register their support for the campaign at games around the country, from Premiership clashes to keenly fought Sunday friendlies.
Contact us for some of our Playfair Qatar posters, use the reverse of this leaflet or print your own from our website, then take a photo with them at your game, either a selfie or with fellow fans or players, and send them to photos@playfairqatar.org or tweet them using #playfairqatar

We’ll also have bigger meet ups at Arsenal, Barnsley, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Newcastle and others that weekend, so if you’re a fan of the home team or the visitors, keep an eye out for more information.

If you’d like to get more involved in the campaign:
email stephen@playfairqatar.org.uk
or tweet @playfairqatar

Print your own posters at: www.playfairqatar.org.uk/get-involved

Comments

• Options
    Nice one Thommo - should have thought to post this myself as Stephen is a friend of mine and he's asked me to take part at the Coventry game. Important campaign, this.