Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A potential idea - Good or bad

As we know the new Football League Trophy is in a group stage with 3 games with in a league format with 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw plus a bonus point for winning a penalty shoot-out. They did the same thing in a 4 game league format in the new Scottish League Cup in the group stages. Now just imagine if that started happening in the Premier League and Football League. That could potentially make a difference to who wins the league, goes up automatically, makes the play-offs and who survives relegation. In the case of the Premier Leugue who wins the title, Gets into the Champions League or Europa League and who saves off relegation. Last season we had on the last day Middlesbrough v Brighton to see who took the last automatic place and who had to go through the horrible lottery of the play-offs. Both level on points and Boro only needed a draw to go up automatically and they got it. Brighton went on to miss out in the play-offs. Now with the bonus points system they probably would have not been level on points. It may well have been a quite bigger gap. But just say for argument sake they were. With a draw in the main game Brighton may still have had the chance of going up by getting te bonus point. That would have meant Boro would have needed to win to guarentee automatic promotion without a shoot-out.

But I think it may well be worth a consideration. To date of this post we have 5 draws and how many of those would have given us a bonus points?

There would be big advantages and big disadvanrtages. At this stage I am speculating and letting my imagination run riot. I would just like other peoples' opinion on the matter. I am sure it will probably be a devided opinion but I woldjust like to know what people think of whether such an idea would work in a 20 to 24 team division.

Comments

• Options
    I'm undecided.
  • Options
    Evening katrien.
  • Options
    Run that past me again mate can you? :wink:
  • Options
    I'd rather we could just win a game in the 90 minutes
  • Options
    Rubbish idea, i thought the Boro v Brighton game was class with both sides needing a result for promotion on the last day, rather than artificial excitement for 12 yards in a league match.
  • Options
    Whats being asked is in the Football League Trophy you get a point for a draw automatically yet the game goes to a penalty shootout meaning the winners get an additional bonus point (So end up with two points).

Whats being asked is it that became applicable in League matches, how many additional points would we have after drawing so many games
  • Options
    Please no
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are not American
  • Options
    What was the middle bit again?
  • Options
    Fair enough
  • Options
    Chris Waddle.
  • Options
    Take the Euros as the ultimate example... the majority of the teams at the Euros werent good enough to win any of the matches, knew they werent good enough to win any of the matches so sat back and held out for the draw as three draws would surely get you through to the Knockout stage.

Once there teams knew that if they held out for 120-mins they'd get to a penalty shootout and then it would be 50/50 as to who won... The result was that Euro 2016 was awful, few goals were scored and the matches were mostly boring as fuck, the only saving grace was that the Euros only lasted a month so can be ignored allowing us to move on with our lives.

By having a penalty shootout after a League draw, it would give lesser teams hope of getting more than just a point and League Football would suddenly go from all out attack, to all out defence as the likes of Charlton try to hold out for a draw in the hope they win a penalty shootout and so get an extra point... Translation it would kill Football.

If Football was to take on board any bonus point type system it should be like cricket where teams get extra points based on different scenarios i.e. if a Hat-trick is scored or if a team scores four or more goals yet if a game ends 0-0 its treated the same as a defeat (i.e. neither team gets a point!!)
  • Options
    Scrap points. Only count goals.

Result? Open, attacking, exciting football, from the first minute to the last.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Scrap points. Only count goals.

Result? Open, attacking, exciting football, from the first minute to the last.

What an have Goal Difference as the deciding factor?
  • Options

As we know the new Football League Trophy is in a group stage with 3 games with in a league format with 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw plus a bonus point for winning a penalty shoot-out. They did the same thing in a 4 game league format in the new Scottish League Cup in the group stages. Now just imagine if that started happening in the Premier League and Football League. That could potentially make a difference to who wins the league, goes up automatically, makes the play-offs and who survives relegation. In the case of the Premier Leugue who wins the title, Gets into the Champions League or Europa League and who saves off relegation. Last season we had on the last day Middlesbrough v Brighton to see who took the last automatic place and who had to go through the horrible lottery of the play-offs. Both level on points and Boro only needed a draw to go up automatically and they got it. Brighton went on to miss out in the play-offs. Now with the bonus points system they probably would have not been level on points. It may well have been a quite bigger gap. But just say for argument sake they were. With a draw in the main game Brighton may still have had the chance of going up by getting te bonus point. That would have meant Boro would have needed to win to guarentee automatic promotion without a shoot-out.

But I think it may well be worth a consideration. To date of this post we have 5 draws and how many of those would have given us a bonus points?

There would be big advantages and big disadvanrtages. At this stage I am speculating and letting my imagination run riot. I would just like other peoples' opinion on the matter. I am sure it will probably be a devided opinion but I woldjust like to know what people think of whether such an idea would work in a 20 to 24 team division.

• Options
    I bet @The_President would be all over this. All change is good after all.