Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would have been their birthday today...

edited September 2016 in Not Sports Related
There are lots of "RIP" threads on CL where we can pay tribute to a famous, infamous or important person who has recently died. It gives everyone a chance to reflect, for a few hours or a few days on how they died; then their thread - like the person - slips away, rarely to be seen again. But often, it's better to remember how they lived, what they did when they were alive and what they were like at their very best. So, this thread is simply a way of remembering the great and the good who, although they might have passed away, did things worth remembering. And what better day to remember them, than their birthday?

The idea is to post a tribute on the day someone would have been celebrating a birthday. All posts on one thread. And all posts about how they lived at their best and not dwelling on how they died. You won't know who is being celebrated until you open the thread. And you can post about anyone who has passed away, on their birthday. It might be nice to see a new, happy, celebratory post on CL almost every day.
«134567

Comments

  • Happy birthday Freddie - would have been 70 today.
  • Raquel Welch 76 today
  • Happy birthday to one of my all time heroes and someone I commemorate on a very regular basis.

    Happy Birthday Jack Daniel.
  • Chizz said:

    Happy birthday Freddie - would have been 70 today.

    I can't believe he would be 70. Getting older is strange, it's as if my age doesn't change so I'm surprised when other people do (if that makes any sense). I still feel 25 until I catch sight of myself in those bloody mirrors in shops.
    Those two reasons are exactly why I posted this. First because I was shocked he would have been seventy - SEVENTY! And second because I still imagine I'm the same age as I was when I saw him, and Queen, at Live Aid.
  • Without being glib about death, it is a fact of life we all have to deal with and can be tragic and horrific of course. However when you are talking objectively about icons like Freddie, Elvis, James Dean and I suppose Lady Di; there is a certain kind of comfort in the fact that they never got old and will always be remembered in their prime.
  • This thread wasn't there last week. But Michael Jackson would have been 58 last Monday 29th. Sad life in many ways and a huge talent. Music wasn't always to my (mainly 70s) taste but RIP.
  • Sir Len Hutton, died this day in 1990, great cricketer pre & post war captain of England & Yorkshire never managed to see him play live, but early fifties used to listen to all the tests matches on the wireless
  • Sir Len Hutton, died this day in 1990, great cricketer pre & post war captain of England & Yorkshire never managed to see him play live, but early fifties used to listen to all the tests matches on the wireless

    And he captained England after injuring his arm during the war which meant one arm was shorter than the other.
  • Sponsored links:


  • Just been listening to the Queen II álbum. 'Fraid I am one of the old gits who followed and loved Queen in the seventies, but thought they drifted off as time went by. Freddie Mercury though, will always be a voice in a billion, and their music is something extraordinary.
  • Sir Len Hutton, died this day in 1990, great cricketer pre & post war captain of England & Yorkshire never managed to see him play live, but early fifties used to listen to all the tests matches on the wireless

    Len Hutton beating the Aussies... This video includes the odd sight of Aussies pulling up the stumps as souvenirs, even before the winning runs are hit, then sheepishly having to put them back.
  • Chizz said:

    Sir Len Hutton, died this day in 1990, great cricketer pre & post war captain of England & Yorkshire never managed to see him play live, but early fifties used to listen to all the tests matches on the wireless

    Len Hutton beating the Aussies... This video includes the odd sight of Aussies pulling up the stumps as souvenirs, even before the winning runs are hit, then sheepishly having to put them back.
    Nice to see that video thanks
  • Chizz said:

    Chizz said:

    Happy birthday Freddie - would have been 70 today.

    I can't believe he would be 70. Getting older is strange, it's as if my age doesn't change so I'm surprised when other people do (if that makes any sense). I still feel 25 until I catch sight of myself in those bloody mirrors in shops.
    Those two reasons are exactly why I posted this. First because I was shocked he would have been seventy - SEVENTY! And second because I still imagine I'm the same age as I was when I saw him, and Queen, at Live Aid.
    It's frightening how old the Live Aid generation are now. Live Aid is as far away from us now as it is from Doris Day's Secret Love being Number 1 in the charts. Freddie Mercury's day of birth is as far away from us now as it is Benjamin Disraeli being Prime Minister.
  • Stig said:

    Chizz said:

    Chizz said:

    Happy birthday Freddie - would have been 70 today.

    I can't believe he would be 70. Getting older is strange, it's as if my age doesn't change so I'm surprised when other people do (if that makes any sense). I still feel 25 until I catch sight of myself in those bloody mirrors in shops.
    Those two reasons are exactly why I posted this. First because I was shocked he would have been seventy - SEVENTY! And second because I still imagine I'm the same age as I was when I saw him, and Queen, at Live Aid.
    It's frightening how old the Live Aid generation are now. Live Aid is as far away from us now as it is from Doris Day's Secret Love being Number 1 in the charts. Freddie Mercury's day of birth is as far away from us now as it is Benjamin Disraeli being Prime Minister.


    *goes off for a cry*
  • Stig said:

    Chizz said:

    Chizz said:

    Happy birthday Freddie - would have been 70 today.

    I can't believe he would be 70. Getting older is strange, it's as if my age doesn't change so I'm surprised when other people do (if that makes any sense). I still feel 25 until I catch sight of myself in those bloody mirrors in shops.
    Those two reasons are exactly why I posted this. First because I was shocked he would have been seventy - SEVENTY! And second because I still imagine I'm the same age as I was when I saw him, and Queen, at Live Aid.
    It's frightening how old the Live Aid generation are now. Live Aid is as far away from us now as it is from Doris Day's Secret Love being Number 1 in the charts. Freddie Mercury's day of birth is as far away from us now as it is Benjamin Disraeli being Prime Minister.
    Some of us who were there have aged well Stig
  • This thread started on Sept 5th, which is my birthday. Not yet resting in peace ;-)
  • TeslaGirl said:

    This thread started on Sept 5th, which is my birthday. Not yet resting in peace ;-)

    Belated happy birthday!
  • I was thumbing through Matthew Eastley's excellent "Charlton Athletic On This Day - history, facts and figures from every day of the year". The entry for 7 September 1934 reads -

    Ten minutes after the arrival of his sister and mother at his bedside in a Torquay hospital, Charlton goalkeeper Alex Wright, 30, dies from the injuries he received in a bathing accident at Torre Sands. Wright suffered a broken neck and fractured spine after diving off a raft into three feet of water and forcefully hitting his head on the sea bed. Charlton Manager Jimmy Seed said: "Alex lived for his football and was a grand team man". Chairman Albert Gliksten added: "He was liked by everyone and had a brilliant career ahead of him". Fifteen thousand people lined the three-mile route of his cortège at his funeral in his home town of Kilmarnock.

    As an aside, another item for September 7 - this one in 1985 - was the day that Charlton fans arriving for the home game against Crystal Palace were handed a hastily written sheet of paper informing them that this would be the penultimate match ever played at the Valley. The paper was received by fans with "shock, anger and bemusement". By the way, we won 3-1.
  • Sponsored links:


  • Rock Legend Keith Moon died on this day in1978 aged 31
    I never got to see The Who play live despite them playing twice at the Valley, which I regret, will always remember him in Tommy with Oliver Reed there must have been some serious drinking during the making of that film.
  • Happy birthday Buddy Holly, who would have been 90 today.

    Although he died at 22, he left an enormous legacy and influenced many top artists in the years to come. John Lennon and Paul McCartney were huge fans - McCartney owns his publishing rights - Bob Dylan saw him play in concert three days before Holly was killed. And, while performing in Woolwich, one young fan in the audience was obviously inspired to embark on a music career himself: Mick Jagger.

    7th September? That'll be the day.
  • I think Buddy would have been 80 today.
    Never knew Mick Jagger was in the audience at Woolwich, Mick is one year older than me so would have been 14 at the time, my best concert ever seeing Buddy that night.
    Oh Boy Happy Birthday Buddy
  • I think Buddy would have been 80 today.
    Never knew Mick Jagger was in the audience at Woolwich, Mick is one year older than me so would have been 14 at the time, my best concert ever seeing Buddy that night.
    Oh Boy Happy Birthday Buddy

    Oops! You're right, he would have been 80. I'll leave it like that so Lifers in ten years time can marvel at the prediction.
  • Chizz said:

    Happy birthday Buddy Holly, who would have been 90 today.

    Although he died at 22, he left an enormous legacy and influenced many top artists in the years to come. John Lennon and Paul McCartney were huge fans - McCartney owns his publishing rights - Bob Dylan saw him play in concert three days before Holly was killed. And, while performing in Woolwich, one young fan in the audience was obviously inspired to embark on a music career himself: Mick Jagger.

    7th September? That'll be the day.

    Not forgetting that he was Big Rob's Nan's bingo partner. Of course, this was before BR had the paper shop, moved to France, had a kidney op that he doesn't like to talk about and became the moderators' moderator.
  • Stig said:

    Chizz said:

    Happy birthday Buddy Holly, who would have been 90 today.

    Although he died at 22, he left an enormous legacy and influenced many top artists in the years to come. John Lennon and Paul McCartney were huge fans - McCartney owns his publishing rights - Bob Dylan saw him play in concert three days before Holly was killed. And, while performing in Woolwich, one young fan in the audience was obviously inspired to embark on a music career himself: Mick Jagger.

    7th September? That'll be the day.

    Not forgetting that he was Big Rob's Nan's bingo partner. Of course, this was before BR had the paper shop, moved to France, had a kidney op that he doesn't like to talk about and became the moderators' moderator.
    And your point is?
  • Happy birthday Otis Redding

  • Gary Speed would have been 47 yesterday.

    R.I.P
  • Johnny Summers was born at Shepherds Bush on 10 September 1927 - died in London from leukaemia in London aged 34. He played 182 games for us between 1956-61.

    image
Sign In or Register to comment.