Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Walsall v Charlton | Sat 20 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Walsall v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 20th August 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Christopher Sarginson (Staffordshire)

Introduction

Three games played, four points on the board and ninth place. Following matches against Bury, Northampton and Shrewsbury that is exactly how our performance back in League One stands. Of course there will be some that’ll say it’s a disappointment (and could well be right) as we’ve played two teams who finished in the bottom half of this Division last season, whilst there was one game against a team promoted from League Two last season.

Naturally there will be some people (no doubt including the Manager) who believe we’ve had a steady start to life back in the third tier… Having lost many key players in the summer it was always going to take time the squad to get going and hopefully after the Shrewsbury game last Tuesday night, that is about to happen. This Saturday we travel to what could be one of the hardest away matches of the season, three points against Walsall can be a statement to the rest of the Division that Charlton Athletic mean business. Failure to win three points and there still shouldn’t be much despair, it’s a long old season!!

The Opposition
Name: Walsall | Manager: Jon Whitney
Stadium: Banks Stadium | Current Position: 12th

As always Football is a game of fine margins… Along with Burton Albion and Gillingham last season, Walsall were one of three surprises in League One, remaining in contention for automatic promotion to the Championship right until the death they were pipped to 2nd spot by Burton and just a single point. Finishing third they of course received the “easiest” opponent in the Play-Offs (the team that finishes 6th), sadly this time round they faced a rampant Barnsley and were annihilated 6-1 over the two legs.

The Walsall summer (like Charlton) has seen Jon Whitney having to rebuild his side after the majority of his key players left for various Championship clubs (Striker: Tom Bradshaw to Barnsley and Creative Midfielder: Romaine Sawyers to Brentford). Yet rebuild they have, joining the ranks was Erhun Oztumer (joining on a free from Peterborough) the obvious danger man to watch out for, whilst this might be a rare occasion for Charlton fans to see Franck Moussa who was so often injured during his spell at the Valley.

Charlton Team News
Having comfortably beaten Shrewsbury on Tuesday night and with the squad coming through unscathed you’d expect to see very few changes being made. Having appeared on only one occasion (in an U21 match): Patrick Bauer will probably be left on the bench, whilst the obvious question will be whether Ezri Konsa can handle much tougher opposition.

Rudd
Solly … Bauer … Pearce … Fox
Foley … Crofts … Jackson … Holmes
Magennis … Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips … Johnson … Konsa … Holmes-Dennis … Novak … Botaka … Lookman

Prediction
Walsall have had a very similar start to their season… They comfortably beat Wimbledon on the opening day of the season yet haven’t won since with defeat coming on Tuesday against Chesterfield and Ched Evans. Jon Whitney in his first full season could well struggle as Manager, yet with the strength of the Walsall team you’d expect them to be a threat throughout the whole of the season.

A draw wouldn’t be the worst result in the world as defensively the Addicks are still a little suspect when it comes to set pieces, yet at the same time three points wouldn’t just be appreciated yet could go a long way in issuing a statement to our rivals.

Comments

• Options
    Continued success 2-0 to us
  • Options
    think we'll kick on and win this 0-2

Adjose and Lookman
  • Options
    late kick off?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

late kick off?

Cheers (Facepalm)
  • Options
    No Ricky, no Vicky-tory. Walsall 2-1 Charlton
  • Options

Taxi for Nick ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    One way trip to Dignitas for CL... 2-1 to the Polaks
  • Options
    Ajose has not scored yet in the league, I can see a 1-1 draw.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Claustrophobic Subuteo kit ground when I was last there in our 2000 promotion season when we ran out 4-2 winners with a brace for both Hunt and Kinsella. Since then the home end now has a two tier stand.

It's an old cliche but not an easy place to go to and we need to carry on from where we left off on Tuesday evening if we are to take something from the game COYRs (Charlton of course as a change of strip will be required).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hope Holmes isn't injured, but if he is I imagine Slade will start Botaka on the left, Foley on the right as it seems he's averse to starting Lookman. Tricky place to go but have to win if we're to be considered serious promotion contenders. I'll say 2-1 to us, Ajose x2.
  • Options
    3-2 thriller, Ajose goal that he bundles over, Pearce header at a corner and a late winner from Botaka
  • Options
    1-2 to the Addicks, Ajose to open his account
  • Options
    I think we might see a few changes, as at least three players are carrying knocks (Holmes has been targeted, and Fox got a nasty whack on Tuesday too), and we have to start rotating our team to stop burn out.

I think we might line up -

Rudd
    Solly
    Konsa
    Pearce
    Holmes-Dennis
    Foley
    Crofts
    Jackson
    Charles-Cook
    Magennis
    Ajose

Substitutes: Phillips, Johnson, Bauer, Botaka, Lookman, Novak, Muldoon.

I'd probably settle for a point: 1-1.
  • Options
    One step forward. Two backwards.
    2 - 0 to Walsall
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Pedro45 said:

I think we might see a few changes, as at least three players are carrying knocks (Holmes has been targeted, and Fox got a nasty whack on Tuesday too), and we have to start rotating our team to stop burn out.

I think we might line up -

Rudd
    Solly
    Konsa
    Pearce
    Holmes-Dennis
    Foley
    Crofts
    Jackson
    Charles-Cook
    Magennis
    Ajose

Substitutes: Phillips, Johnson, Bauer, Botaka, Lookman, Novak, Muldoon.

I'd probably settle for a point: 1-1.

If that is our midfield we might as well not turn up
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    hope you enjoyed your honeymoon @ForeverAddickted .. the team is having a bit of a honeymoon period right now, BUT it could disappear behind the clouds at any minute .. the 'peace' is a fragile one

I like your line up and it'd be good if Bauer is fit as we have needed a bit more height at the back ..
    the team is coming together nicely, even the worrisome midfield is clicking along in good gear with Jackson in goal scoring nick and Crofts and Foley doing good jobs, Crofts especially is more creative and energetic than I expected ..

The defeats at Bury and Cheltenham should be behind us and the season could turn out to be a successful one (we all hope, well, most of us at least) ..

Holmes, Ajose and Magennis are promising to be three terrific signings .. keepit up youse ADDICKSAAAAAAAAHHHH

Walsall 0 v CAFC 2
  • Options
    Can see a win here. Wouldn't drop Konsa. 2-1
  • Options
    Who knows? 0-0 I guess?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't think we'll lose, and hopefully sneak a hard thought 0-1.
  • Options
    Another hard fought win and a clean sheet. Nicky Ajose gets his goal.

Walsall 0. Charlton 2
  • Options
    If bauer fit he shd start
    1-2
  • Options
    2-1 Walsall, never really in it.
  • Options
    1-3 Ajose hatrick
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I don't have that much of an influence.

0-2. Ajose with both
  • Options
    As uplifting as Tuesday's win Was;
    One Swallow doesn't make a blow j Summer.
    2-1 Walsall, still need the creative mid-fielder.
  • Options
    Next three fixtures are as tough as they come this season IMO, start by getting something up here will be welcomed!

The next three after that are winnable.

Hard thought 1-1, Magennis to notch an equaliser in battering ram style.
  • Options
    If he can I think Slade will name an unchanged lineup. If not, Lookman is obviously an excellent replacement for Holmes.

No idea how to call this one. Suspect we'll keep it tight in the first half and try to spring on the counter. The problem is as we saw in the first three games is that we don't have a lot of players capable of that little extra bit of skill. Holmes certainly showed that on Tuesday night, and we know Lookman has it in flashed.

I think we're on our way to being a solid if unspectacular side, which may be changed with a couple additions in midfield.

I'll go 1-1, Franck Moussa to score a blinder for them.
  • Options

Don't think we'll lose, and hopefully sneak a hard thought 0-1.

Next three fixtures are as tough as they come this season IMO, start by getting something up here will be welcomed!

The next three after that are winnable.

Hard thought 1-1, Magennis to notch an equaliser in battering ram style.

Where's all this hard thinking come from?