Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rod Liddle in todays Sunday Times

I know Rod Liddle is not everyone's cup of tea on here but this is a very supportive piece. And yet more evidence that across the football world, people are supporting us in our attempts to rid us of our current owners.

It looks like the valley of no return for Charlton

Charlton Athletic are one of the favourites to be promoted from League One this year — the odds presumably drawn up by people who have never heard of Roland Duchatelet. Once the epitome of the well-run, overachieving family club, they now more closely resemble the owner’s country of birth, Belgium: divided, fractious, home to nobody famous, on the slide and so on (fill in more Belgian jokes here please, ed).

Duchatelet’s regime has overseen six managerial changes in two years and relegation from the Championship.

He has enraged the supporters — most recently by insisting that one chap who wanted a season ticket should sign an “Agreed Behavioural Contract (ABC)” promising he wouldn’t slag the owners off any more on social media.

Charlton’s team, comprised of people whose mums still buy them clothes from Mothercare, lost their first league game last weekend at Bury, were dumped out of the League Cup and squeezed a draw against Northampton yesterday.

They have the look of a Blackpool about them — despite having, in Russell Slade, one of the best managers of the lower divisions. Slade isn’t sounding confident right now and one wonders how long it will be before he, too, effects a swift Brexit.

Charlton’s fans are in ferment. It is less the relegation that offends them — after all, they are not unfamiliar with their current surroundings — simply the epic mismanagement, the undoing of so many years of good work.

I have racked my brains, much as have Charlton’s fans, trying to work out what Duchatelet is trying to achieve, what his plan is. “Nothing” and “there isn’t one” is the best I can come up with. I hope Charlton do challenge for promotion this season — it’s a great club with a huge fanbase, especially in Kent. But I wouldn’t bet on it right now.

Their southeast London rivals (and my club) Millwall sat atop the division yesterday morning, although a better measure of their chances may have been their 2-2 draw at MK Dons. But my guess is the ’wall will be in the playoffs at least come May, especially if they hold on to Lee Gregory who, remarkably, has not yet left for a bigger club.

It is a tough division this season — again. Sheffield United are the red-hot favourites to go up, as they are every season. Just as in the Championship, Rotherham, seven miles down the road, are always favourites for relegation. Somehow, each year, the Millers cling on and the Blades deliquesce into a puddle of mediocrity come late winter.

Bolton will surely be there or thereabouts, and so too MK Dons, Bradford City and Coventry City. Nor would you bet against a strong challenge from at least two of the promoted teams, Bristol Rovers and Oxford United. Such big clubs: I wonder if the average attendance, come May, will eclipse one or two European top divisions?

This year will mark the first time that AFC Wimbledon will face the MK Dons franchise on an equal footing. One would hope the games will be full of rancour and schadenfreude and nasty chants.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Wimbledon, despite holding the moral high ground in most fans’ estimation, struggle this season, along with Fleetwood and Shrewsbury. If those three teams are relegated next May and are replaced by Luton, Portsmouth and Plymouth (which I reckon is eminently possible), then League One’s attendances the season after might begin to resemble those of La Liga.

Comments

• Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2016
    Good comments - dig about the fan base being in Kent, but this is Rod Liddle and he is Millwall. It shows the level of the own goal PR gaffe right accross the media spectrum regarding ABC. It should make Meire & Kehone & the new ex police stadium safety person think again about going further down the ABC path but I doubt that it will. They are very good at digging their own hole and keep on digging themselves deeper & deeper. Give them enough rope....
  • Options
    Good article.

He's still a spanner prat though
  • Options
    Never had any time at all for Rod Liddle but fair play - he could have rubbed our noses in it but instead produced a well balanced and supportive piece.

I was pleasantly surprised and I endorse the earlier comments made by others - the wider football community and the football media is coming to recognise how much damage is being done at Charlton. It's a pity the EFL were not up to speed before they nominated Katrien Meire onto the FA council thus strengthening her position.

It hurts a bit to say it but well done Rod Liddle.
  • Options
    Good for him, I actually like a lot of the stuff he writes, can be controversial and I often disagree with him, but never bland.
  • Options
    Can't stand the man, but fair play.
  • Options
    Millwall propaganda that. A shit piece imo
  • Options
    I always liked him in Rainbow. Good to see he's still earning a living.
  • Options
    Fair play to the man. The question he raises is the crux here: what is RD's profit in all of this? I suggest something along the lines of removing the existing fan base, selling the ground for development and relocating to some development area such as Thamesmead. A ten thousand capacity ground could be built relatively cheaply I guess?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fair play to the man. The question he raises is the crux here: what is RD's profit in all of this? I suggest something along the lines of removing the existing fan base, selling the ground for development and relocating to some development area such as Thamesmead. A ten thousand capacity ground could be built relatively cheaply I guess?

Fuck Thamesmead. You need an armed guard to go there
  • Options
    Yes, he can buy the land etc but he needs a club in the league to make it pay. This way, he builds up from scratch almost
  • Options
    The contract debacle saw a spate of summary articles like this. I'm guessing a bit here, but it seems like the editors had pieces ready to go, in case another Charlton story popped up. Either way, of the high profile writers that have commented on our plight, I found this the weakest piece. I find his writing just as shit whether it's in our favour or not.

He didn't slag us off a great deal which makes a change, but I don't think that was his choice, or at least his purpose this time. Not complaining though, it's all good for us.
  • Options
    At least he didn't try and claim our fans are paedophiles this time...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Off_it said:

Decent piece, from the arrogant wife beating dirty looking millwall tosspot.

Wife beating? Harsh accusations there. Care to elaborate? But be careful, he could be reading ;-)
  • Options
    He usually rips us to bits. This was the magnanimous-looking-down view. Pleased guilty to assaulting his 20 week pregnant missus in 2005.
  • Options
    Don't need or want Rodney s help
  • Options

He usually rips us to bits. This was the magnanimous-looking-down view. Pleased guilty to assaulting his 20 week pregnant missus in 2005.

Pleaded guilty or accepted a caution? Big difference. One is done in a court of law, one is done in a police station.

• Options
    I wish Duchatelet was the sort of person who looked at the criticism from us and others and as a result set out to prove people wrong! He does the opposite. He is an arrogant fool. Whether she does of lots of unseen great work or not, you can see how poor he is by not changing a CEO who has become toxic and now has to avoid making statements! Having said that, we are probably only a couple of midfielders away from challenging, but promotion, if it were to come, will only be getting us back to where we were. I doubt he will address the midfielder issue, but I suspect we won't be relegated this season. If things stay the same, maybe that is for next season!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't like him, he's a Spanner!
  • Options

Pleaded guilty or accepted a caution? Big difference. One is done in a court of law, one is done in a police station.

Does it matter? He punched his pregnant girlfriend. Or are you suggesting it was her fault, or all made up? Maybe she was asking for it? That's the standard reaction from your scumbags isn't it?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Off_it said:

Wife beating? Harsh accusations there. Care to elaborate? But be careful, he could be reading ;-)
    Yep, wife beating. Technically his girlfriend and not his wife, if you want to split hairs. But in my eyes it's the same thing.

Oh, and she was pregnant at the time. Want any further clarification?
  • Options

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Yep, wife beating. Technically his girlfriend and not his wife, if you want to split hairs. But in my eyes it's the same thing.

Oh, and she was pregnant at the time. Want any further clarification?
    She's his wife now. Can't have hit her that hard, eh?
    It doesn't really work like that.
  • Options
    A lot of what Liddle writes is amusing and accurate, a lot is drivel .. this article should be filed under 'drivel' ... jump right back off the bandwagon Rod and stick to criticising/applauding the team you profess to love
  • Options
    As ValleyGary would say......Bermondsey's Josef Fritzl.
  • Options
    Quite a good article imo. He is giving us a bit of support in the same way that some of us support Millwall's ongoing cause to avoid being turfed out of the New Den (i.e. selling off the land around the ground). At the end of the day we will always measure our progress against Millwall and palarse. As Liddle says, we are sinking quite fast, Millwall are on the up and palarse are out of sight in the land of milk and honey. Hmm, maybe we should now be measuring ourselves against Leyton Orient, jeez what a dismal thought. (Sinks into further depression.)
  • Options

As ValleyGary would say......Bermondsey's Josef Fritzl.

He's a dirty, greasy, weasel looking Bermondsey nonce.