Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tonbridge v Charlton FA Cup 1972

Bored, angry and depressed about the present regime so taking my solace in the past.

Any Lifers at this FA Cup tie in '72?

Comments

• Options
    I was there. 5-0. Lots of trouble. Muddy pitch.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I too was there, standing on a grass bank if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    Yup I was there, fair bit of trouble at the game
  • Options
    Tonbridge are or were the Millwall of non league for some reason with their 'element'
  • Options
    I was there with my dad, but remember very little. Anyone remember the team?
  • Options
    I was there It was in the park behind the station if I remember rightly
  • Options
    I was there. If I remember right, the crowd was separated from the pitch by a rope ! Anyone remember that. An, yes it was game that was marred by trouble before, during an after the game.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Tonbridge are or were the Millwall of non league for some reason with their 'element'

Never heard that. Not true now.
  • Options

From Jome and Away: Dunn, Jones, Warman, Hunt, Reeves, Shipperley, Bond, Davies, Flanagan, Horsfield, Peacock. Sub: O'Kane

Goals: Horsfield 11, Peacock 21, 86, Flanagan 51, Gilchrist (og) 52
  • Options
    I was there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The team was.
    Dunn, Jones, Warman, P.Hunt, Reeves, Shipperley, Bond, P.Davies, Flanagan, Horsfield, Peacock Sub (not used) O'Kane.
    Goals. Peacock 2 Horsfield, Flanagan and Gilchrist og.
    Taken from Home And Away
  • Options
    I too was there with a friend and his dad. Seem to remember the stand that was at an angle to the pitch. It's all bathed in a glow of nostalgia and I wish I could jump back there for a while!
  • Options

I was there.

Any memories Shooters Hill Guru?

• Options
    Who was the trouble between?
  • Options

From Jome and Away: Dunn, Jones, Warman, Hunt, Reeves, Shipperley, Bond, Davies, Flanagan, Horsfield, Peacock. Sub: O'Kane

Thanks. Was that Paul Gilchrist, our old player?
  • Options

Not sure - do you mean the one that later went to Southampton?

• Options
    If was there ... Thought I remembered a goal by Davies ... Obvs not
  • Options

Not sure - do you mean the one that later went to Southampton?

Yes, that's him, short curly hair, may have played in the cup final for Southampton.
  • Options
    I was there.
    The trouble was with Gillingham
  • Options
    I was there too. I remember one Black bloke (Tonbridge fan) scaring off twenty or thirty Charlton fans, of which I was one................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was there.
    Seem to remember there was no problem getting on the pitch after the final whistle.
    Gave King Arthur a pat on the back - had to lay a hand on my hero of the time.
  • Options
    My memory is that the off-pitch opposition was supposedly mainly Chelsea who were vastly outnumbered by the visiting Charlton support. I also remember the Mercury devoted more space to the trouble than the match itself. Mind you, the game was very one-sided played on a pudding of a pitch.
  • Options

I was there.
    The trouble was with Gillingham

Gillingham my arse, we were met at the station by about 30 Chelsea and had it with them most of the evening.
    Coming from Orpington we had quite a few more encounters with them over the years at London Bridge.
    I still feel like giving em some now but at 61 years of age ,maybe not lol
  • Options

My memory is that the off-pitch opposition was supposedly mainly Chelsea who were vastly outnumbered by the visiting Charlton support. I also remember the Mercury devoted more space to the trouble than the match itself. Mind you, the game was very one-sided played on a pudding of a pitch.

Yup it was primarily Chelsea
  • Options
    Blimey. I was there, I remember it was like playing in a park with a very flimsy fence between fans and the pitch. I don't remember any trouble though.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Never heard that. Not true now.
    Based on the words of relatives involved with other clubs and friends related to players from other clubs.

This was indeed quite a while ago and was meant to be in response to the comments regarding trouble at the FA Cup tie above.
  • Options

Blimey. I was there, I remember it was like playing in a park with a very flimsy fence between fans and the pitch. I don't remember any trouble though.

If you don't remember the trouble i doubt you was there.
  • Options
    I was there and remember the trouble and it was with Chelsea fans...
  • Options
    Chelsea have always had an element from the Tunbridge area, who would of course go to the big Tunbridge games - was always fun and games vs Maidstone.

I wouldn't say they're renowned for an element now though Len, for the odd game maybe but they're not in the Wealdstone/Nunenton etc league as far as I'm aware.
  • Options
    The game was played on the Angel Ground at Tonbridge which no longer exists - it is now a supermarket I believe.