Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Not A Jelly Fish Attack!

One person dead and two fighting for their lives after a jelly fish attack in Camber Sands.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/24/swimmer-stung-to-death-by-jellyfish-at-camber-sands-6025971/

Comments

• Options
    Madness. Was down there this morning and saw all the helicopters and the emergency cars.

Heard it was a 19 year old man
  • Options
    BBC and Sky News not reporting Jelly Fish as the cause
  • Options
    Was about to say something funny. Now someone has died it takes on a whole new meaning
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Was about to say something funny. Now someone has died it takes on a whole new meaning

Same here.

Utterly tragic really, I've got great memories of the beach down at Camber. Hard to imagine something so sad happening at a day on the beach.
  • Options
    Same up here in Norfolk yesterday sadly. My boy got to Sea Palling beach to see police, air ambulance etc on the beach. 54 year old got swept out by a Rip Current (swimming away from the lifeguard patrolled area) and he didn't make it. Two others in hospital.
  • Options
    It's not a jelly fish attack... Don't believe all you read in papers
  • Options
    Sadly someone is still missing
  • Options

It's not a jelly fish attack... Don't believe all you read in papers

What is it ?
  • Options
    rip tide.
  • Options
    Inspector Mark Evans, of Sussex Police, said: "We are working to establish who these two men are and trace their family and friends."

He added: "It seems this has been three people who have got into trouble while swimming with the changing tides and coastline."

Police dismissed reports the men had been stung by jellyfish.

The force wrote on Twitter: "To clarify the men got into difficulty in the sea at Camber & were not stung by jellyfish as is being reported in some places."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cambers pretty dangerous for getting isolated when the tide comes in. It seems to come in leaving isolated blocks of beach which probably doesn't help matters.
  • Options
    Was down at Rye Harbour mid afternoon and the tide was coming in and flowing quickly across the wetlands. I'd imagine that if you were near that end of Camber then the rip tides could be really dangerous. Didn't realise then that this incident had happened just a short while earlier. Just shows how careful you need to be.

RIP to the poor lad who died, speedy recovery to those in hospital.
  • Options
    Yesterday me and the boys went boating along the river crouch in Essex. Few miles from Chelmsford. The river was full of jelly fish! Slightly un-nerving until one of the boys picked one up by mistake and realised it didn't sting. They spent the next 3 hours catching them with their hands and tossing them back in to the water......weird swimming with them in Essex though!
  • Options
    awful today, no idea what is going on
  • Options
    Awful. Seen a lot about rip tides recently (if this is the cause) and the advice to swim parallel to the shore.

RIP. Very Sad.
  • Options
    Seems very strange - sea has always seemed calm when I've been there.
  • Options
    The story of the dad and his two year old girl getting swept away is also heartbreaking. The sea is an absolute no go for me.
  • Options

The story of the dad and his two year old girl getting swept away is also heartbreaking. The sea is an absolute no go for me.

Likewise.

A few sources saying this latest tragedy doesn't add up. Some suggesting immigrants as they were fully clothed.

The sea is our master whatever sad story unfolds.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't get this "rip tide swimming accident" stuff.

I was at camber last week with my kids and all 3 spent a couple of hours every day in the sea without coming close to any harm. I know they were swimming at low tide & when the tide comes in there are 2 or 3 sand banks that are very deceptive and could get you in trouble - but today the sea was pretty calm, no big waves - in fact probably the opposite.........so how come FIVE people end up drowning ??

much more to this than meets the eye & wouldn't surprise me if drink and/or drugs are involved
  • Options

Was down at Rye Harbour mid afternoon and the tide was coming in and flowing quickly across the wetlands. I'd imagine that if you were near that end of Camber then the rip tides could be really dangerous. Didn't realise then that this incident had happened just a short while earlier. Just shows how careful you need to be.

RIP to the poor lad who died, speedy recovery to those in hospital.

I've never seen a rip ride at Camber. These days I won't go there for the opposite reason, the tidal flow across that part of the channel is minimal, I found myself swimming in sea full of algae and what felt like effluent, it has the lowest tidal flow surely of anywhere in the uk?

Very unusual for those people to get ripped out off there. Awful and unexpected.
  • Options
    Five young guys on a day trip from London, very sad.
    Hope they get to the bottom of it.
  • Options
    Salad said:

Five young guys on a day trip from London, very sad.
    Hope they get to the bottom of it.

5 young Sri Lankan lads from London, who drove down for a day at the seaside. They were playing games in the sea & got caught out when the levels rose quickly. RIP.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Two weeks back fishing off rocks between Dover/Folkstone no wind but every so often a wave would hit the rocks much harder sending the spray 5 foot in the air---- tides cant be underestimated.

Was at Camber on Monday very windy --- red flags flying --- didn't stay long.

RIP
  • Options
    It's probably beside the point now but 'Jelly Fish Attack' would be a bit of a misnomer given that Jellyfish not only don't attack people, they literally can't. If you get stung by one it can be very bad news but they basically just float around hoping something will hit their tentacles.

Still, any death is a tragedy and just goes to show how dangerous the sea can become and how quickly.
  • Options
    Camber normally has nothing more than a slight west to east drift.

But it does have lots of sandbanks, has a very low tide and has a river coming out of it nearby.

Any beach with those variables can have a rip, soft sand or a random wave from no where.

It's still shocking that so many people died in such a short space of time.
  • Options
    No lifeguards there apparently.
  • Options

No lifeguards there apparently.

There was a petition signed by 100s of people in the last few weeks asking for lifeguards, but it was rejected
  • Options
    The lovely Katie Hopkins covering herself in glory on Twitter regarding this tragedy. Is there nothing she wont do for publicity?