Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Interesting Garry Nelson interview

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14322762.Big_interview__After_25_years_of_new_adventures__ex_Albion_star_is_coming_back___for_his_Amex_debut/

I just found this interesting interview with Nelse from earlier this year. It's not especially about Charlton, but covers more his exit from Brighton and post football career. It also has this great photo!

Comments

• Options
    Ugh, he looks just like my old Spanish teacher.

That's no surprise as "Miss Nelson" is his daughter.

Hated her.
  • Options
    He was a real game-changer, a proper impact sub, and a nice fella.
  • Options
    Garry Nelson was one of my all time favourite players. I met him once or twice and he is a really nice bloke.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Genuine team player who worked really hard for the Charlton cause, chipping in plenty of goals and assists over a 5 year career with us.

Also got his book, "Left Foot Forward", a diary of day to day life behind the scenes at Charlton in the days of Curbs and Gritty as joint manager.
    Every Charlton fan should read it.

Really warm and friendly bloke.
    Went out of his way to give several Charlton momento to my son when he was young.

• Options
    He was a really nice bloke. He always gave 100% and when you read his books, I have to say a much better player than he gave himself credit for. By the way, two great reads Left foot forward and Left foot in the grave. You can get cheap off ebay and you won't find better for your holiday reading.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Ugh, he looks just like my old Spanish teacher.

That's no surprise as "Miss Nelson" is his daughter.

Hated her.

went to school with her, used to bug her asking questions about Charlton and she had no interest in football.
  • Options
    He was my favourite player when I first started going as a kid. Great player, great book and great bloke.
  • Options
    Left foot forward was written around a season at Charlton - Some very interesting insights. Left foot in the grave chronicles a season when he was assistant manager at cash strapped Torquay. John Gittens a complete star in this book. you won't find any better football books than these!
  • Options
    Hated his diving antics though
  • Options
    A real character who always gave his all. Did picture framing as well as being a Charlton forward if I remember right.

Been meaning to read his second book for years and not got round to it, need to put that right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hated his diving antics though

I once raised the question about an incident during a match. I saw it as a blatant dive and said so. He looked me in the eye and told me that he was caught by the defender's foot.
    I had to take his word for that one.
    Nice fella, hard working forward.
  • Options

He was a really nice bloke. He always gave 100% and when you read his books, I have to say a much better player than he gave himself credit for. By the way, two great reads Left foot forward and Left foot in the grave. You can get cheap off ebay and you won't find better for your holiday reading.

I respectfully disagree...
  • Options
    boggzy said:

A real character who always gave his all. Did picture framing as well as being a Charlton forward if I remember right.

Been meaning to read his second book for years and not got round to it, need to put that right.

Correct, I have a 93/94 signed team photo, framed by Garry Nelson Enterprises!

Both books are good, especially the first one Left Foot Forward.

The second one does show you what's it like at the bottom of the football league, training in parks etc
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    boggzy said:

Second book is even better than the first as a read IMO, although focuses on Torquay. Hard to put down! First was great though and if you were a Charlton fan at the time, you will love the insight it gives.