Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The worst Euro finals tournament

Comments

• Options

Portugal were so lucky, if Iceland had not beaten Austria in the last minute, Portugal would have had to face England and we would have beat them with our great set pieces

Yeah, that lucky team that went unbeaten throughout the tournament.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I do wonder if the European season is just so tiring now that by the time we get to end of season tournaments the players are just shattered. I think that's the only element of the Qatar World Cup that I'm looking forward to, that it'll be mid-season and thus the pace should be quicker as most players will be in their prime.

Quicker if they don't melt before the games end.
  • Options
    I quite enjoyed it. A lack of classic games admittedly, but plenty of good underdog stories.

For once, I think UEFA have made a good decision in opening the tournament up to more countries. Perhaps a little unfortunate how the draw panned out, with almost all the pedigree countries on the same side of the draw, it's unlikely to work out like that again though, or at least not to the same extent.

Still think that England can have a bright future as well. So disappointed with the Iceland performance, which I think had more to do with inexperienced players losing their heads than any tactical ineptitude. There's a lot of talent in our squad though.
  • Options
    This was definitely a Euros for the taking, and a number of teams will look back with massive regrets, as there was no stand out side

It's funny how the Euros has regularly produced shock winners, whereas the WC doesn't, even when it has most of the same top teams

• Options
    Valley11 said:

Agree with the op. Terrible standard of football perhaps except Wales and France. The likes of Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay must be laughing their tits off in anticipation of Russia 2018.

Not forgetting the likes of Chile, Columbia etc...could include the Yanks too...there no mugs.
  • Options
    I thought it was alright. some good goals. some underdog stories. I actually felt the group stages were interesting as every team had a real chance of qualifying. which gave the smaller nations something to go for.
  • Options
    Arguably the decision to increase this to 24 teams was vindicated by the fact that a 3rd placed team won the tournament. Admittedly all the other 3-placed teams that qualified were KOed in the first round.

However as others have said, this tournament was long and dull. The winner only managed to win one game in regulation time. Players were looking tired towards the end and the fact that yellow cards carried over from the group stages was a point of contention. If I was looking at improving the game from a football perspective, here is what I'd suggest:

1) Return to 16 teams
    2) 2 yellow cards = 1 game suspension. Bookings are reset after the group stage.
    3) Employ a new points system as the 3/1/0 system in a round-robin of 4 teams does not encourage exciting or attacking football. Up in the air the best way to implement it but perhaps differentiating between score-draws and goalless draws (maybe a 4/2/1/0 system for wins/score draws/goalless draws/losses respectively?)

Obviously none of this will never happen due to advertising/stubbornness etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tournament did seem to go on and on. A few teams like Italy were in transition and were probably pleased with the progress made.

Interestingly people moan about too many small countries being involved yet Iceland and Wales provided the best memories. Also the pundits moaned about lack of traditional centre forwards and wouldn't you believe it...the winning goal for Portugal is wracked in by a typical big no. 9.

But agree the defences shone.

Even in 2004, when Greece somehow won it, there was a number of very good games including the outstanding Holland v Czech Republic. Maybe we were those crazy orange clad fans and their often entertaining team.

• Options
    I'd like to see a return to 16 teams. Either that or go the whole hog and have 32. I really don't like having third placed teams qualify. And on this occasion at least, it seemed to produce a very unbalanced set of fixtures in the later rounds.

Agree about the cards reset. If you have it later than that there'll always be decent players getting bans.

I wonder if making goals scored rather than goal difference the second level decider would encourage more attacking football.
  • Options
    I'd also hold a penalty shoot out (best out of ten so that everyone's involved) at the start of every match. This way the team losing on pens would know that they have to attack.
  • Options
    England tanked, deservedly, they weren't good enough. There were some fantastic games, Germany Italy, Italy Spain, Wales vs England and Belgium, Belgium Ireland and probably several more that I didn't get to watch. The larger format was great, more football to watch during the group stages and there were no routs of small nations, just England at the hands of one.
  • Options
    I think people are jumping to the wrong conclusions about the expansion causing the perceived lack of quality. Last Euros we still had Czech Rep and Greece (and England) qualifying from the groups to the last 8. Essentially you still had the same nations getting through to the latter stages this time and let's be honest, not many of them are that exciting to watch. France showed glimpses of it, Germany were largely poor throughout, Spain are not the team they once were and everyone has already had their moans about Italy and Portugal being negative.

I like the fact that going into the last round of group games there is still something to play for, how many times have we moaned in other tournaments about the dead rubbers? As I said in another post some of the best parts of this tournament have been the likes of Iceland, (begrudgingly) Wales and at times both Irelands who perhaps if it was a smaller number of teams wouldn't have even been there. Hungary and Portugal (arguably game of the tournament) both wouldn't have been there.

And I also don't get the moans about Portugal. Ok I understand that people dislike them past games v England and Ronaldo but we have a brand new winner and a team that were the underdog in all but the Wales match who came through to win. If offered before the tournament that we'd have a winner that had never won it and would be the underdog in the final we'd probably have taken that.

Personally I think there's a general lack of quality or at least depth of quality in most nations at the moment. You have teams slowly changing in Spain and Germany. France have a mostly young team that will mature in time and Italy are really struggling to find world class players at the moment. I think it's just in a cycle at the moment that given a few years we could see some top players coming through again.

That said I still enjoyed it mostly. Sure there were some poor games but I enjoyed the tactical battles and the general unpredictability of it. Some seem they would have only been happy if it was Germany or Spain winning again.
  • Options
    The negativity towards Portugal is really annoying me. They were involved in the best game I watched in the Torny and scored in all but 1 game. They don't have a midfield with Rui Costa, Paulo Sousa and Luis Figo and they don't have a out and out Goal getting striker (although Ronaldo might play that role more in the later part of his career) so what did they do? They played to their strengths became hard to break down with the full backs staying back rather than bombing forward . They done that very successfully. Yes they only beat Wales in 90 minutes but everybody knows the knockout format of the game is played over a potential 120 minutes and penalty shootout, I'd also argue the that had it been 2 teams qualifying then they would have gone for the jugular in the Hungary game rather than settling for a draw in the last 10-15 minutes. Well done Portugal the deserved winners and I'm over the moon for Ronaldo now he's finally got what he deserved and won something on the international stage.
  • Options
    was happy portugal won, the french as a nation really annoy me, witnessing it 1st hand sitting in bars out there and me and couple of pals had more interest in the match than they did, they spent more time outside the pub with these silly moustache things on chanting over and over again allez les blues, wasnt just a 1 off, saw all 3 french group games on tvs, even after beating germany there fans were so brazen that it was theres, delighted for ronaldo as hes a special player and love him or hate him, hes not got a load more chances left to get a big prize on the international stage.
  • Options
    Zzzzz
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Fiiish said:

1) Return to 16 teams
    2) 2 yellow cards = 1 game suspension. Bookings are reset after the group stage.
    3) Employ a new points system as the 3/1/0 system in a round-robin of 4 teams does not encourage exciting or attacking football. Up in the air the best way to implement it but perhaps differentiating between score-draws and goalless draws (maybe a 4/2/1/0 system for wins/score draws/goalless draws/losses respectively?)

1) Too few teams I think, maybe have four groups of 5 with just the top 2 going through.
    2) Prefer 2 yellows in three games = suspension(with an exception for the final as now) e.g. yellow in game2 & game4 = suspension, yellow in game1 & game4 does not.
    3) so two score draws = win, less incentive to win ... would have to be 6/2/1/0
    Stig said:

I'd also hold a penalty shoot out (best out of ten so that everyone's involved) at the start of every match. This way the team losing on pens would know that they have to attack.

there is a flip-side to that ....

• Options
    I'm a big fan of the 0 points for a goalless draw, both a tournaments and in the league, so that's 3/1/0/0, you don't score then you don't get any points.

Like the 2 yellows in 3 games idea too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's not try change our great sport too much with American like points systems.....I do think the 2 through from groups of 5 would make for more teams looking to win games though. One team might have a disadvantage of not playing in the final games meaning they don't know what they have to achieve to progress.
  • Options
    how do you remove half written drafts without using a full stop?
  • Options

I'm a big fan of the 0 points for a goalless draw, both a tournaments and in the league, so that's 3/1/0/0, you don't score then you don't get any points.

Like the 2 yellows in 3 games idea too.

Only problem with no suspension for 2nd yellow in game 3 is everyone will be cynically fouling because they know that it will get wiped for the next game. This rule would be an incentive for fouling.
  • Options
    I thought that Croatia were the best team in the tournament.
    Their fans were responsible for the screw-up against Czech Republic, but the players bottled it against Portugal in the last 16.
    I doubt they'll get a better chance to win a major tournament - that team had everything.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    1StevieG said:

Only problem with no suspension for 2nd yellow in game 3 is everyone will be cynically fouling because they know that it will get wiped for the next game. This rule would be an incentive for fouling.

no this is rolling e.g. a yellow in game three still matters in game 4 and game 5 but not game 6.

Croatia were very good, I suppose you have to think of ways to give an extra-time advantage to attacking teams e.g. consider one of reduce teams by one player to create more space, 5 min sin-bin for extra-time yellow cards, silver goal, free kicks can be moved 10 metres in any direction, ....

• Options
    The positives.

It was unique....not the kind of unique that particularly strikes a chord with me, as the OP indicates, but it will be a tournament that will be very much remembered for a long time for quite a few reasons.

Kind of like the last 2 years at Charlton.
  • Options
    There were some good goals, some decent games and for Iceland and Wales a good fairytale.

But as a tournement it was pretty lame.
  • Options
    I thought Germany were good to watch again, until they ran out of players. Wales made good entertainment, Italy were interesting, if not thrilling. There were some good games - the end of Portugal's group especially.
    Fiiish said:

Arguably the decision to increase this to 24 teams was vindicated by the fact that a 3rd placed team won the tournament. Admittedly all the other 3-placed teams that qualified were KOed in the first round.

I actually think it was the opposite of vindication. A team that didn't win a single group game won the tournament.

As shitty as England were, we played three teams who were happy to try their luck on three points. Third place qualifying in a four team table is an awful idea. 70% of games played to knock out 25% of the teams or something like that. Madness!

I can't see the points system ever changing, but that's fixing the wrong part anyway - it's only necessary if you're trying to improve a 24 team format. Teams playing for draws in the group stage isn't much of an issue in the World Cup.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

No great goals??? Of all the things someone could complain about that is about number 177 on the list.

In terms of excitement I guess it was poor but I found the whole tournament pretty intriguing. Tactics wise there was a lot to admire, Italy and Portugal both played it perfectly. Then we had the underdogs of Wales and Iceland. One of the best shootouts ever with Germany and Italy. Mentalness with the Croatian fans and the great support from the Iceland fans. We also had the usual England capitulation.

I guess it's what you think of as quality, lack of excitement and goals yes but there was a lot else to admire. I do sometimes wonder why people bother watching football. The vast majority of games don't end up 5-5 and in reality a lot are hard work to get through. Stop moaning and just be happy we had 51 games over the past month.

Agree.

I've never known a football forum where so many people really don't like football that much.
    Think you might have hit it on the head mate. I'm just falling so far out of love with football it's not true. Easy given our trials and tribulations at club level but I'm barely watching match of the day these days and the euros lost me completely after the first ten days.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Valley11 said:

Agree with the op. Terrible standard of football perhaps except Wales and France. The likes of Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay must be laughing their tits off in anticipation of Russia 2018.

No-one's scared of Brazil anymore