Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is technology largely passing you by?

Comments

• Options

Fiiish said:

The single worst addition to modern technology staples is the digital camera/camcorder.

The joy of film was you know you had to make 30 photos last at least a few weeks. Make every photo count. Now every phone comes with these as standard. The result: going to a wedding and half the guests are constantly taking their phones out to record the event, instead of just enjoying the day. Or people constantly uploading selfies of themselves begging for approval or likes.

This! I went to the 2013 FA Cup final with a Bulgarian guy who was so excited to be at Wembley that he was constantly updating Facebook and sending pictures to friends. Whilst he was updating his friends, Ben Watson scored in injury time and my Bulgarian friend asked me what had happened having missed the game's only goal.
    This sums up most public events now like sports, concerts, weddings etc. I went to a local firework display last year and there must have been a couple of thousand people in the field watching the main display and half of them were filming it on their phones.....why???

I used to be guilty of filming at concerts etc but now always make sure I turn my phone off when I go in.
  • Options
    I read an article the other day about death by Satan where drivers slavishly follow the instructions even if they can see they're driving into a lake or off a cliff or whatever.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    seth plum said:

I read an article the other day about death by Satan where drivers slavishly follow the instructions even if they can see they're driving into a lake or off a cliff or whatever.

• Options

Curb_It said:

I am absolutely staggered by the cashpoint thing.

really? cashing cheques is probably the only thing I still use my chequebook for.

Just find it makes it easier for me to plan / budget my month. If I know I've a party or something coming up in a couple of weeks, I'll make sure I spend less leading up to it, or if I've a big month leading up (like my birthday / kids birthday), I know I have to have a cheap one the month before to generate some excess. Can't do that so easier if regularly drawing out / putting things on your card. You must have to check your balance every week.
    Checking your balance takes 5 seconds.

Cashing a cheque can take half an hour if the queue at the bank is long.

I haven't had a chequebook for about 8 years now. I hardly ever use cash for anything either any more.
  • Options

I've been f****d since they scrapped teletext.

Try the self check out at B&Q for a mornings entertainment.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I started reading this thinking I'm the same. I don't make the most of all the technology I have. (Who can say they use every function their device offers?)

But the more I read the more stunned I got. How are you alive without using a cash point or buying stuff online. Even my mum can do that and she is bloody useless.

Do you live in a Yurt?
  • Options
    Do you even Internet bro?
  • Options
    Do many people actually bother with Blu-ray? I have never seen the point in spending an extra £5 or so each time you buy a film, probably why DVDs are still very much out-selling blu-rays
  • Options

I've been f****d since they scrapped teletext.

Try the self check out at B&Q for a mornings entertainment.
    Only use them b@st@rds to check my dogs microchip hasn't moved! ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So many really simple pieces of technology have made life easier/better.

Online banking app on my phone - can check and manage balance etc on the move at the touch of a button.

City mapper app - don't have to worry about getting lost in London - tells you what busses, tubes, dlr trains whatever to take.

Bus time app - my favourite - tells you when the next bus is coming so you don't leave the house/pub and then wait for 20 mins at the stop

Sky plus app - can send things to the box to be recorded when out and about

Edf and British Gas apps - meter readings, bookings etc

Uber - already mentioned but it's cheap and easy to use.

Plus all the social media, football score apps, FaceTime etc etc to keep in contact and up to date with the outside world.

• Options
    LouisMend said:

Online banking app on my phone - can check and manage balance etc on the move at the touch of a button.

City mapper app - don't have to worry about getting lost in London - tells you what busses, tubes, dlr trains whatever to take.

Bus time app - my favourite - tells you when the next bus is coming so you don't leave the house/pub and then wait for 20 mins at the stop

Holmesdale online- avoiding lengthy queues for Cup Final tickets.

Plus all the social media, football score apps, FaceTime etc etc to keep in contact and up to date with the outside world.

:)
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

LouisMend said:

Holmesdale online- avoiding lengthy queues for Cup Final tickets.

:)
    Scandalous!

I only went for the free press food.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Technology I have no problem with . Flat pack furniture and the instructions is a whole different story.
  • Options
    I certainly use my phone to check football/cricket scores on the move, whereas before if there wasn't a radio, you'd have to go home and look up Ceefax...

I use the Bluetooth function on my car stereo, being able to stream continuous music from my phone to it is so much more convenient than having to carry CDs out to the car, especially on a long journey, and my 99p charger keeps it topped up too!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Seem bizarre to me that so many 18-24 young folk can hack into Classified Government information but 66% of them don't have the ability to walk 300 odd yards/meters to put an X on a piece of Paper to remain In Europe, if that was their preference.

It wasn't the baby boomers and old people who decided the Result to remain or leave

It was the couldn't be arsed to vote if i can't do it on my phone, laptop or tablet.

Not just the 18 to 24's fall into this malaise.

modern technology:
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.

A tale of two outlooks.
  • Options
    There should definitely be an app for voting.

There is for voting on X factor.
  • Options

The Uber thread has got me thinking about what a philistine I am in terms of the progression in technology.

Other than using social media, I've never really embraced much in terms of developments, and most conversation on here on things like Kodi are alien to me.

I've got an iPhone but it's the first one I've had and I only probably scratch the surface on its potential. I don't have any music on it, use Siri or anything like that. A few basic apps (less than 10) and that's it really.

I've never used eBay either for buying or selling, I've never bought off Amazon. I've no idea what Bluetooth is or how it works, I've got a basic 10yr old tv, ditto DVD player and no music system. Blue Ray sounds like a geezer from down the pub. I've rarely bought anything online and have only ever used a cash point about a dozen times.

Shutting my curtains involves pulling the curtains and putting the heating on involves flicking the switch. On line check ins baffle me and always involve a phone call to the company afterwards to check if done it right.

So am I running a lap behind the pack or am I more the norm than perhaps I think I am?

You should be asking yourself whether you think your life would be improved by embracing technological advances. Would you do without a 'fridge and a gas/electric cooker? Do you do your washing by hand? I suspect the answer to those questions is 'no'. So, look at the advantages of newer technology, compare them against the disadvantages, and decide.

For me, on-line checkin is a boon as you don't have to queue at the airport, whereas closing my curtain by anything other than physical effort seems pointless, at least until I'm bedridden and can't actually reach them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Seem bizarre to me that so many 18-24 young folk can hack into Classified Government information but 66% of them don't have the ability to walk 300 odd yards/meters to put an X on a piece of Paper to remain In Europe, if that was their preference.

It wasn't the baby boomers and old people who decided the Result to remain or leave

It was the couldn't be arsed to vote if i can't do it on my phone, laptop or tablet.

Not just the 18 to 24's fall into this malaise.

modern technology:
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.

A tale of two outlooks.

Don't mention Outlook!
  • Options

I'm very technology focused.

I've an Android phone, am constantly using Ebay and always looking for things to make my life easier, for example have Philips Hue lightbulbs which I operate with my phone and can be turned on when I'm out plus I've the Hive Heating system so can operate the heating without getting off my arse (Plus it saves me a ton of money)

You turn your lightbulbs on when your out? Do you record TV programmes and play them back when your out of the room?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Fecking predictive text technology.
    For Satan read SATNAV.

• Options

Summin that did get me, the last time I was back in the UK, was me brother paying for beers in the boozer by touching his phone down to the credit card machine.

I've got that set up on my phone but I don't dare to use it. Reckon I'd look a right prat if I did it wrong.
    Strangely reassuring to an old luddite like me given your occupation! :wink:
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I see just sooo many 'youngsters' trancing' along the streets eyes down and peeled to their 'devices', they are oblivious to what's going on around them .. more addictive than crack .. FaceBook, Twitter and the rest of the mega advertisers now rule the world of the under 25s

For my part, I often buy and sell and control literally all of my finances thru the internet .. I have a five year old. soon to be replaced laptop and an older standby .. that is the extent of my technological usage apart from radio, TV, car, and extensive use of NHS equipment without which I would not be alive.

We are all dependant on technology and do not perhaps realise or admit to what extent .. electricity, gas, sewage, water supply, internal combustion engines, etc. etc. .. the knack is to use IT and to not let IT use you
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    LouisMend said:

There should definitely be an app for voting.

There is for voting on X factor.

In your lifetime and my kids without a doubt,

Would it just be better to start a Petition ?
  • Options

The Uber thread has got me thinking about what a philistine I am in terms of the progression in technology.

Other than using social media, I've never really embraced much in terms of developments, and most conversation on here on things like Kodi are alien to me.

I've got an iPhone but it's the first one I've had and I only probably scratch the surface on its potential. I don't have any music on it, use Siri or anything like that. A few basic apps (less than 10) and that's it really.

I've never used eBay either for buying or selling, I've never bought off Amazon. I've no idea what Bluetooth is or how it works, I've got a basic 10yr old tv, ditto DVD player and no music system. Blue Ray sounds like a geezer from down the pub. I've rarely bought anything online and have only ever used a cash point about a dozen times.

Shutting my curtains involves pulling the curtains and putting the heating on involves flicking the switch. On line check ins baffle me and always involve a phone call to the company afterwards to check if done it right.

So am I running a lap behind the pack or am I more the norm than perhaps I think I am?

You should be asking yourself whether you think your life would be improved by embracing technological advances. Would you do without a 'fridge and a gas/electric cooker? Do you do your washing by hand? I suspect the answer to those questions is 'no'. So, look at the advantages of newer technology, compare them against the disadvantages, and decide.

For me, on-line checkin is a boon as you don't have to queue at the airport,
    This for sure, booking plane seats as your booking is confirmed is invaluable. The last thing I want when going on holiday is a 13 hour flight sitting next to my wife FFS. ;)
  • Options

I'm very technology focused.

I've an Android phone, am constantly using Ebay and always looking for things to make my life easier, for example have Philips Hue lightbulbs which I operate with my phone and can be turned on when I'm out plus I've the Hive Heating system so can operate the heating without getting off my arse (Plus it saves me a ton of money)

You turn your lightbulbs on when your out? Do you record TV programmes and play them back when your out of the room?
    It's not unknown for people to leave a light on to deter burglars if they leave the house empty at night. If you leave the house before it gets dark and want to do this, you can save electricity by not having your lights turn on until after the sun goes down. You could also turn on your lights just as you are getting to the front door so you are not fumbling around in the dark.

Or, you could not tell your wife that you have them installed and make her think she is losing her memory and/or there is a ghost in the house.
  • Options
    Thank's AFKABartram, thought I was alone in hi-tech passing me by.

One accomplishment I am proud to have finally mastered is the customer check out at the supermarket. Used to really piss me off.
  • Options
    I have only used a cash machine once. Just get cash back at the till. Less chance of having card cloned.