Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is technology largely passing you by?

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I find the world of technology fascinating but am always wary of it. I think there's a lot to be said for the natural skills that we tend to use a lot less as we rely more on the technology we have at our disposal. I know people who can't drive to work without sat nav, spend more than five minutes with their own thoughts without checking facebook and would probably freak out if spell check wasn't working on their computers. I also think that the speed and ease at which everything is so accessible these days generally makes us a lot more impatient.

I think we were just more skilled before because we had to rely on ourselves more. So, I think you're better off, AFKA.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

You cannot have reached your sizeable age having only used a cash point half a dozen times, I'm just not having it.
    And as for the rest, don't you work in IT?

He's probably the bloke that tells you to turn it off and turn it back on again
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

You cannot have reached your sizeable age having only used a cash point half a dozen times, I'm just not having it.
    And as for the rest, don't you work in IT?

This is what gets me. I tend to pay for nearly everything on debit or credit card and use contactless where possible and even I can't get away without visiting a cash point at least once every few weeks...
  • Options
    Having read the OP I realise I use technology a fair bit but because I have to.

Don't want a smart watch as they look ugly and prefer to wear a classic swiss railway watch

When the DVD player broke started using the son's Xbox1 instead which is fiddly but why buy something else?

Use a computer for work because I have to.

Discovered by chance had contactless payment on my bamk card and now use it when it is accepted.

I was amazed when in New York how many stores didn't have chip and pin and even had to sign a slip a couple of times so I clearly do expect a fair level of technology but have just come to accept it.

I use spotify but also my very old Ipad.

No idea what Kodi is. Sure if I needed it someone would have told me.

I do wish I knew how to download songs as ringtones on my Samsung galaxy ace for free though.
  • Options
    We are truly living in revolutionary times in human history, the ability to easily access and interchange information has gone off the scale from where it was only 20 years ago.
    To think of all those previous generations who couldn't see the funny cat videos that now are just at our fingertips....
    But I get the feeling mankind is on the verge of becoming part cyborg, with Augmented Reality and our increasing skill at replicating limbs and organs, and yet people in some parts of the world still have next to nothing.
    Fundamentally, with all the incredible technology now at our disposal, not sure it has changed us for the better. Yet.
  • Options

I'm most curious about the fact that you've only used a cash dispenser a handful of times. I can only assume that you robbed a bank and keep the money under mattress.

@Fumbluff said the same. Didn't think it was unusual to be honest. I'm on a relatively tight budget so once a month I cash a cheque out over the counter for what will be my spending money for the month, and then that's it a case of making that last to the next month. Occasionally get caught out near the end of the month (like when the trains are shite and I end up going for 8 pints with @DaveMehmet) but only rarely.

Don't trust the things and worry about the card getting cloned using them.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Don't want a smart watch as they look ugly and prefer to wear a classic swiss railway watch

When the DVD player broke started using the son's Xbox1 instead which is fiddly but why buy something else?

Use a computer for work because I have to.

Discovered by chance had contactless payment on my bamk card and now use it when it is accepted.

I was amazed when in New York how many stores didn't have chip and pin and even had to sign a slip a couple of times so I clearly do expect a fair level of technology but have just come to accept it.

I use spotify but also my very old Ipad.

No idea what Kodi is. Sure if I needed it someone would have told me.

I do wish I knew how to download songs as ringtones on my Samsung galaxy ace for free though.

Use something like Audacity (it's free) to cut bits of your favourite music to use as ringtones.
    Edited to add: see here for an explanation. http://lifehacker.com/212232/geek-to-live--make-a-ringtone-from-any-mp3
  • Options
    I could bore on for ages on this topic.
    However one observation about two great pieces of technology, dishwashers and washing machines.
    Now these machines come loaded with features but for the washing machine it is either 40 degrees for mixed and 60 degrees for whites...only ever one adjustment to make, and for the dishwasher you load it, put the tablet in and turn it on. Does anybody ever use pre sets or timers on a dishwasher?
    AFKA sings to me when he says that we have technology loaded with stuff we never use, and probably don't need.
  • Options
    P.S. My old man used to say:
    'If it ain't there, it can't go wrong '.
  • Options
    On the subject of technology you don't use, my car like most new ones these days can park itself if you let it, and I won't let it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I use my credit card a lot as I travel around frequently for work and other reasons and thus need petrol regularly. Ditto cash machines.

Computers are a necessary evil for work purposes but other than that I only use to send and receive emails, read Charlton Life and a few other sites. I sometimes use my daughter's online betting account and recently signed up to Twitter which for me was an achievement equivalent to travelling to the moon. Mobile phonewise I can make and receive phone calls, send text messages and take a photograph. Anything else is way beyond me. As for supermarkets I have a pathological fear of self- service after extremely traumatic and stressful experiences on the two or three occasions I've been stupid and gullible enough to follow the exhortations of others to 'try it.' Absolutely and categorically never again.

Technological matters do not come naturally to me and just thinking about them typing this reply is beginning to make me feel stressed!

• Options

have only ever used a cash point about a dozen times.

Is that bit true? Banks are always closed.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

However one observation about two great pieces of technology, dishwashers and washing machines.
    Now these machines come loaded with features but for the washing machine it is either 40 degrees for mixed and 60 degrees for whites...only ever one adjustment to make, and for the dishwasher you load it, put the tablet in and turn it on. Does anybody ever use pre sets or timers on a dishwasher?
    AFKA sings to me when he says that we have technology loaded with stuff we never use, and probably don't need.

Don't you care about the environment - or your electric bills?

Everything gets washed at 30° in my house.

I love gadgets and technology so I actively look for reviews of what's coming out and as I live just with my 12 year old son we, naturally, have a house full of them. However, the one technological advance that I find the most useful and would least like to be without (other than the mobile phone) is the Sat Nav. Please tell us you have a Sat Nav AFKA?

I never bothered with KODI, I did have XBMC on a couple of Raspberry Pi for a while but the wireless adapters were poor and the remote's were fiddly to set up and use so I went and bought a handful of WD HDTV Live Hubs and they work out of the box without the need for any Linux coding (which I had to keep referring to because I never really learned Linux). The ability to watch, literally, anything in any room at any time had untold benefits - especially when you have children that, it would seem, are no longer willing to be dictated to by the TV schedules.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

have only ever used a cash point about a dozen times.

Is that bit true? Banks are always closed.
    He never buys a round :smile:
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I have to say that I only use the same two settings on the washing machine. As for dishwasher, we hardly ever use it - I actually like washing up. Mind you, I've downloaded some really nice ring tones to the washing machine which plays random hits by the Beach Boys when the wash cycle is completed.
  • Options
    I use Bluetooth or the Internet for playing my music from my computers external hardrive to our Cambridge audio system, I use Kodi via our curved smart tv. There are a couple of iPads around the house my wife uses to listen to her music elsewhere on a Bluetooth speaker, I haven't been to a bank since moving here 3 years ago. Although I was confused as hell by our induction hob in the kitchen!! (What a strange room that is) ;) The car has alsorts of voice activated bits and bobs as well the normal Bluetooth and sat nav. Can't see the point of this new watch and would have trouble explaining to my wife the Tissot one she bought me on holiday wasn't good enough anyway. Used contactless payment over here for the first time last weekend but abroad for a couple of years. Love to play with technology but to be honest I'd rather be out with our dogs.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

The single worst addition to modern technology staples is the digital camera/camcorder.

The joy of film was you know you had to make 30 photos last at least a few weeks. Make every photo count. Now every phone comes with these as standard. The result: going to a wedding and half the guests are constantly taking their phones out to record the event, instead of just enjoying the day. Or people constantly uploading selfies of themselves begging for approval or likes.

This! I went to the 2013 FA Cup final with a Bulgarian guy who was so excited to be at Wembley that he was constantly updating Facebook and sending pictures to friends. Whilst he was updating his friends, Ben Watson scored in injury time and my Bulgarian friend asked me what had happened having missed the game's only goal.
  • Options

On the subject of technology you don't use, my car like most new ones these days can park itself if you let it, and I won't let it.

I never use the cruise control on ours, mainly because I always nearly crash trying to turn the bloody thing on. The parking cameras are handy though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

seth plum said:

I have to say that I only use the same two settings on the washing machine. As for dishwasher, we hardly ever use it - I actually like washing up. Mind you, I've downloaded some really nice ring tones to the washing machine which plays random hits by the Beach Boys when the wash cycle is completed.
    I would be so tempted to get it to say 'bitch come empty me' - might end up with a black eye, but it would be so worth it.
  • Options
    I am absolutely staggered by the cashpoint thing.
  • Options
    One thing I don't understand is people who can't use computers working in jobs that are entirely computer based. I've worked with far too many Dorises who have no idea about right-clicking, copy and pasting or managing their log-ins.
  • Options

I'm most curious about the fact that you've only used a cash dispenser a handful of times. I can only assume that you robbed a bank and keep the money under mattress.

I cash a cheque out over the counter
    seriously? It must be 15-20 years since I last used a cheque
  • Options

I never use the cruise control on ours, mainly because I always nearly crash trying to turn the bloody thing on. The parking cameras are handy though.
    I generally use the cruise control on the motorway these days when we hit the 50 mph limit through roadworks
  • Options

• Options
    Curb_It said:

I am absolutely staggered by the cashpoint thing.

really? cashing cheques is probably the only thing I still use my chequebook for.

Just find it makes it easier for me to plan / budget my month. If I know I've a party or something coming up in a couple of weeks, I'll make sure I spend less leading up to it, or if I've a big month leading up (like my birthday / kids birthday), I know I have to have a cheap one the month before to generate some excess. Can't do that so easier if regularly drawing out / putting things on your card. You must have to check your balance every week.
  • Options

Do you find it keeps you on track, Henry?

• Options

Fiiish said:

The single worst addition to modern technology staples is the digital camera/camcorder.

The joy of film was you know you had to make 30 photos last at least a few weeks. Make every photo count. Now every phone comes with these as standard. The result: going to a wedding and half the guests are constantly taking their phones out to record the event, instead of just enjoying the day. Or people constantly uploading selfies of themselves begging for approval or likes.

This! I went to the 2013 FA Cup final with a Bulgarian guy who was so excited to be at Wembley that he was constantly updating Facebook and sending pictures to friends. Whilst he was updating his friends, Ben Watson scored in injury time and my Bulgarian friend asked me what had happened having missed the game's only goal.
    This sums up most public events now like sports, concerts, weddings etc. I went to a local firework display last year and there must have been a couple of thousand people in the field watching the main display and half of them were filming it on their phones.....why???