Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting the balance right between Protests & Supporting the team

After reading over the last couple of days a lot of mixed reviews and people strong feelings about the owners (wanting them to leave, not buying season tickets etc, shirts etc)

I'm all for the regime to leave, But I really hope fans do actually get behind the team this season, especially away from home, what are C.a.r.d view on this? In terms of protests at Away games and so on? Because I'm not so keen on the whole Roland out sang for 90 mins away from home and if the team is doing well , And I personly do think this would have a affect on the players regardless

I'm going to get fried for saying this, but I don't think I'm alone is saying it, I think towards the end of last season something had to be done, no question don't get me wrong, but I thought at time the aim was way to much at them, rarther then the team, I really struggled to find moment when we where actually singing for the team which regardless for me didn't help for the teams relegation (Although it's certainly not the main cause far from it)

And If we are to have a successful campainge, we have to find the right balance as fans between protest and getting behind the lads

Protest regarding the owners, I don't have any issue with this, but at the same time, let's make sure we give the team the right amount of vocal backing as well next season, it's going to be a hard season and a long one at that. And Russell Slade does deserve the right to earn our support, as do the players

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2016
    It doesn't have much to do with Card, my point with that was card's view with away games next season in terms of protests, as if mention above I don't feel last season we got the balance right between supporting the team and vocalising regarding the owners

And I also feel some people would stop attending games all together if the focus is just constantly at the owners 24-7 if you get my point?

• Options
    edited July 2016

It doesn't have much to do with Card, my point with that was card's view with away games next season in terms of protests, as if mention above I don't feel last season we got the balance right between supporting the team and vocalising regarding the owners

And I also feel some people would stop attending games all together if the focus is just constantly at the owners 24-7 if you get my point?

I do get your point, but I think it will play out satisfactorily on the basis you set out anyway. If there is no appetite for "24-7 protest" it won't happen. Equally it's not for people minded to "support the team" to the exclusion of any protest to dictate to others. If the team does well, it will be a non-issue during the games.
  • Options

I really don't see what the problem is. People respond to what's in front of them. If the team is worth supporting, it will be supported. I don't think it has much do with CARD to be honest.

I agree and disagree.

It's nothing to do with CARD but there are plenty of sheeple who will hang on your every word

I'd like to think general consensus will be to support the team every game. The sooner we get promoted the sooner Roland will look to cash-in/offload
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I really don't see what the problem is. People respond to what's in front of them. If the team is worth supporting, it will be supported. I don't think it has much do with CARD to be honest.

I agree and disagree.

It's nothing to do with CARD but there are plenty of sheeple who will hang on your every word

I'd like to think general consensus will be to support the team every game. The sooner we get promoted the sooner Roland will look to cash-in/offload
    I don't think that's the case. I was part of the protests, however have renewed my season ticket when CARD called for boycott. I have made up my mind that I won't take part in any RD out chants etc during (in the stadium) the first few months of the season, as it wouldn't be fair to the new team/manager.

Will likely join in outside/after the game if I want to.

• Options
    edited July 2016

Swisdom said:

The sooner we get promoted the sooner Roland will look to cash-in/offload
    I think that is rubbish personally, and being used as a soothing attempt by those that just don't like the protests and want them to stop.
    Not sure I agree as it's also coming from sources unsympathetic to the regime.

That said, until we were dead and buried Colchester was the only game I'd say most people didn't get behind the team and who could blame them?
  • Options
    Seeing as how we are likely to make a decent start (if not, then all bets are off anyway) in different circumstances regarding numbers, then mass protests and marches are probably going to prove unsuccessful.

I don't have a clear plan, but a kind of drip drip resistance is probably going to be the most successful approach.

By that I mean a clear message at any regime-fan communication. The continued pressure on sponsors. Every issue off the field highlighted and reacted to for media traction. A constant suggestion that even without mass protest, a flash mob potential will always exist like blocking the car park or other stuff. A visual reminder of our discontent with the regime with shirts, scarves and banners. A boycott of club catering, programmes, and events such as watch England or Fathers Day for £38....which anyway are a complete rip off.

CARD producing our own alternatives like scarves, programmes and shirts might even spread to travel (not sure about that one).
    It might yet still be appropriate to target specific games for bigger impact events, and to do so without impacting on player performance.

I am interested in the actual football, and the performance of my team, who wouldn't be? I am also interested in the veracity and credibility of my club within the sport and not as a vehicle for forces to exploit, including exploiting my connection to Charlton Athletic and my goodwill.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought the plan was to have the first home game abandoned?
  • Options

Swisdom said:

I think that is rubbish personally, and being used as a soothing attempt by those that just don't like the protests and want them to stop.
    I do want them to stop but the bottom line is the club needs to go up to even have a chance of him departing.

• Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

I thought the plan was to have the first home game abandoned?

pitch invasion?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

I do want them to stop but the bottom line is the club needs to go up to even have a chance of him departing.

I don't think that's true either. A few years of losing £8m-£10m in the lower divisions will also get rid of him, it will just be disastrous for us too.
  • Options
    I said in November last year "prepare for League One folks" - and people still held out hope of survival.

By the time of the Scunny game on 3rd Sept - we will have played 6 games (incl 1 cup) against average opposition.

Where are we in the table?
    Do we still have Lookman/Cousins/Pope ?

I think we will know by then, all that we need to know about the regime approach to this season and the ability of the team.

More than 10 points and a decent win at Cheltenham ? - then maybe things are looking up.
    But anything less will have me blowing up my beach balls in preparation.
  • Options
    Absolute minimum has to be 13 points and progress in the cup.

• Options
    seth plum said:

Absolute minimum has to be 13 points and progress in the cup.

So what happens if we get 12 but have won the last 4 in a row? Sack him?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    12 points would mean a team has beaten us.

With 41 games left a defeat would encourage at least 19 other managers to consider us beatable.

Obviously at that point you sack Slade and appoint Wim de Court.
  • Options

Go 2-0 down at Bury and you'll hear the first "We want Roland out" chants of the season.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

I think the bottom line is ......... and I think we all agree he's a businessman first and foremost?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Disagree.

If we were to end up mid-table this season and face another season in division three he'll lose more money.

The longer we stay out of the Championship the more chance he'll sell.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Disagree.

If we were to end up mid-table this season and face another season in division three he'll lose more money.

The longer we stay out of the Championship the more chance he'll sell.
    -any assets we still have left.

• Options
    Cuff said:

The team got amazing support last season- especially bearing in mind how bad most of them were. I would imagine it will be the same vibe next year.
    I'm not going in the Valley till Duchatalet and Meire are gone but will be going to away games

Same here. However, there is one team I will return to the Valley to show my appreciation to: