Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England side 2016 - as predicted in 2007

Comments

• Options
    Theo Walcott? LOL
  • Options
    So we're not the only ones who are crap at football forecasting then.
  • Options
    If no one can see the problem here then they're either blind or Colin!! ;)

Dean Parrett and Scott Sinclair both played for Charlton whilst James Henry was linked with Charlton, thats enough to scar anyone for life let alone dent their confidence / performances!!
  • Options
    Only 3 of them ever played for England.

• Options

Richards, Walcott, and...? Am I missing someone? Sinclair played for Team GB at the Olympics but never for England.

To give you an idea, Eric Dier and Harry Kane were 13 at the time, Delli Alli was 10, Danny Rose was a pretty highly rated 17 year old at Leeds playing as an attacking midfielder. It's nice to have a young squad not weighed down by past failures.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Richards, Walcott, and...? Am I missing someone? Sinclair played for Team GB at the Olympics but never for England.

To give you an idea, Eric Dier and Harry Kane were 13 at the time, Delli Alli was 10, Danny Rose was a pretty highly rated 17 year old at Leeds playing as an attacking midfielder. It's nice to have a young squad not weighed down by past failures.
    Typo - should have said 2.
  • Options
    Robbie Threlfall was a bit of a random choice, a guy who never made the Liverpool first team, and had ONE U19 Cap, so it's not as if he had a glittering youth career!
  • Options
    The Michael Johnson story is indicative of how much is expected of young talent - whether they waste that talent or not:

telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11529259/Manchester-United-v-Man-City-Michael-Johnson-the-fall-and-rise-of-last-Mancunian-to-play-in-the-derby-for-City.html
  • Options
    That team would get absolutely torn apart.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Michael Johnson story is indicative of how much is expected of young talent - whether they waste that talent or not:

telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11529259/Manchester-United-v-Man-City-Michael-Johnson-the-fall-and-rise-of-last-Mancunian-to-play-in-the-derby-for-City.html

Yeah, was gonna say what happened to Johnson is quite sad. He was a very good young player. But more importantly, he was a troubled young man. I'm heartened to hear he things if his problems had happened today, the set-up would be far better equipped to deal. That said, I'm a bit skeptical.
  • Options
    Saw a few comments on facebook after this was released that 'Micah Richards really should have done so much more'.

His technical ability has and always will be poor, tactically he is just as disastrous. Quick and strong at a young age got him England caps, nothing more.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Fiiiiiish said:

Saw a few comments on facebook after this was released that 'Micah Richards really should have done so much more'.

His technical ability has and always will be poor, tactically he is just as disastrous. Quick and strong at a young age got him England caps, nothing more.

Mostly agree, although he had periods under Sven and Mancini where he looked both an athlete and a footballer. I think he could have done MORE, but as Stuart Pearce once said, the biggest problem for Micah Richards is he pulls up to the stadium (at 19 or 20) and sees a huge photo of himself in the window.

The year City won their first championship he was excellent at RB, and was really, really unlucky not to be picked by Roy for the Euros. It was said that going into that year he'd really started taking his fitness and training seriously, which had been lax for years, particularly under Hughes. That said, the next couple years were beset by constant injuries, which is to be expected of someone so athletic and so young.

I've said it elsewhere, but the first thing I look for in a young English "prospect" is the "Micah Richards Syndrome." Is he actually a gifted footballer, or is he a very gifted athlete who plays football? Jack Rodwell is the other main culprit in this area. He was lauded for years despite the fact that I didn't really see anything that indicated he had the requisite technique or reading of the game.
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

There's a tendency, especially with young defenders, to get dazzled by power and speed, and attacking prowess going forward, rather than positional discipline and being able to hold up opposition attackers
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Typo - should have said 2.
    Wasn't having a go, just wanted to make sure Sam Hutchinson didn't sneak in there and get a cap during some friendly when I wasn't paying attention.

Completely agree @killerandflash, although I'd say there's a tendency toward the young, athletic players all over the pitch. To me, it feels like defenders are often caught out the most, as it's the position (aside from holding midfield) that required the best reading of the game. In the case of holding midfielders, like Rodwell, you can always turn them in to, or just claim they're "box-to-box," whereas defenders often have nowhere to hide.
  • Options
    Surprised they didn't get rashford right.
  • Options
    Almost as crap a back four as the real 2016 squad .
  • Options
    Scott Sinclair is the one that stands out for me, as the biggest waste of space.

He must look around his big house, fancy cars and lads mag Missus, and let out the biggest laugh ever heard.

So far in his 'career', he has been useless for everyone apart from a very brief spell at Swansea, which earned him another shot at the big time with Man City.

The sudden jump in wages, saw a direct correlation to young Scot's performance, as he turned into utter shite again, and earnt himself a move to downwardly mobile Aston Villa.

Even in a ship as rotten as that one, he managed to stink the place out, but who would bet that there isn't another sucker out there willing to take a punt on him in the PL?