Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roland Duchatelet - Frightening reminder of who this man is.

If this has already been posted up on here, forgive me, but I've just been re-reading this great piece by Darryl Chamberlain, written in December. It brings home to you the sheer cynicism and downright [for want of a better word] wrongness of the thinking of the owner and his servant, Meire.

Duchatelet is not a hypocrite, I mean I don't think he's ever lied to us. His record, at any rate, in Belgium, before he became our owner, was there for all to see. In a way, the openness and transparency just makes it worse.

What I really find most frustrating in all this is the lack of any defence able to be offered against such a man
by any football-related body in England. The only hope I can see now - apart from RD deciding himself to sell up [and there is a bit of hope there as Darryl Chamberlain says, in that he eventually gave in to the hostility of fans at Standard Liege] is that if we come out of the E.U.

Coming out of the E.U. would surely put an end to his ability to clog us up with useless players from Europe's poorest leagues.

Don't get me wrong, as a Brexit supporter, I'm very far from being a racist - I hate racism with all my heart - but having a Belgian turn Charlton into a feeder club and preventing Peter Varney putting money in, was an absolute disgrace.

Comments

• Options
    And here

If this has already been posted up on here, forgive me, but I've just been re-reading this great piece by Darryl Chamberlain, written in December. It brings home to you the sheer cynicism and downright [for want of a better word] wrongness of the thinking of the owner and his servant, Meire.

Duchatelet is not a hypocrite, I mean I don't think he's ever lied to us. His record, at any rate, in Belgium, before he became our owner, was there for all to see. In a way, the openness and transparency just makes it worse.

What I really find most frustrating in all this is the lack of any defence able to be offered against such a man
    by any football-related body in England. The only hope I can see now - apart from RD deciding himself to sell up [and there is a bit of hope there as Darryl Chamberlain says, in that he eventually gave in to the hostility of fans at Standard Liege] is that if we come out of the E.U.

Coming out of the E.U. would surely put an end to his ability to clog us up with useless players from Europe's poorest leagues.

Don't get me wrong, as a Brexit supporter, I'm very far from being a racist - I hate racism with all my heart - but having a Belgian turn Charlton into a feeder club and preventing Peter Varney putting money in, was an absolute disgrace.

And here's the article - https://medium.com/@darryl1974/how-roland-duchâtelet-and-katrien-meire-are-killing-charlton-athletic-dc8a9ed7e91c#.krn51e5f4
  • Options
    Its a good, long summary of the season by Darryl Chamberlain. Not sure how the EU Referendum affects Duchatelet selling up or not.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I have just re-read what you said - probably the first argument that holds water for leaving the EU that I have heard! :smiley:
  • Options
    No you go on enough as it is
  • Options
    vff said:

Its a good, long summary of the season by Darryl Chamberlain. Not sure how the EU Referendum affects Duchatelet selling up or not.

Algarve - thanks for the dim comment, not really necessary. I thought it would be interesting to raise this as a serious question, since the [to me] obvious link hasn't been made on here. Let's hope he just sells up. But isn't it true that his business model depends on the E.U? If it doesn't totally depend on the E.U., then it certainly benefits from it hugely.
    I suppose he would otherwise use exclusively African players......or else British ones from the lower and amateur leagues.
  • Options
    I disagree with the first point - I feel we have been lied to every step of the way by this owner and his CEO.
  • Options

I have just re-read what you said - probably the first argument that holds water for leaving the EU that I have heard! :smiley:

Stealth tactics by Brexit supporter!
  • Options

It's relevant to this discussion, that's for sure!

• Options

I make no bones about it, Ted. I'll repeat - without the E.U. would Duchatelet have even bothered looking at English football in the first place?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Darryl is pro - remain and I'm sure he be amused that someone is trying to use his old article to yet again start a thread supposedly about football when in reality it's about Brexit.

DFTT
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I make no bones about it, Ted. I'll repeat - without the E.U. would Duchatelet have even bothered looking at English football in the first place?

You are probably right. However, tis only a small cog in the bigger issue.
  • Options

You don't surely think CAFC's a small cog.
  • Options
    I'm a brexiter and leaving will have no impact on Roland or football in general at all.
  • Options

You don't surely think CAFC's a small cog.

Nope. I believe that you probably ain't that daft, you know where I'm coming from, 1969 person. XX
  • Options

vff said:

Algarve - thanks for the dim comment, not really necessary. I thought it would be interesting to raise this as a serious question, since the [to me] obvious link hasn't been made on here. Let's hope he just sells up. But isn't it true that his business model depends on the E.U? If it doesn't totally depend on the E.U., then it certainly benefits from it hugely.
    I suppose he would otherwise use exclusively African players......or else British ones from the lower and amateur leagues.
    No - I really meant it.