Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

James Milner

edited June 2016 in General Charlton
I am thinking that I must be out of sinc with general opinion, as he never gets criticised but I really cant see why Milner plays for England, and what he brings to the team. Can anyone explain what it is I'm missing here?

Comments

• Options
    100% player that can cover many positions, if he is going to play DM would have preferred Drinkwater, but I believe Roy wants to keep the players he has picked for the last 2 years if possible
  • Options
    "Water carrier" was Cantinas description of Didier Deschamps. Applies equally to Milner.
  • Options
    "Puts a shift in" doesn't he?
  • Options
    Bloke is a proper professional. Not the greatest but England can hardly be picky. He can pass, cross, track back and tackle. He makes sure he's available for a teammate whos on the ball. He isn't special but over the years he has got better and now I would find it difficult to leave him out of the squad.
  • Options
    Lallana should be in his place, he and Dier are playing the same role
  • Options
    Can play many positions

...not much good in any of them though.
  • Options
    He's the perfect 7th substitute because of the amount of positions he can cover.

Not sure why Roy starts him.
  • Options
    He's the best English crosser of the ball currently playing. He's not amazing at creating the space for it but when he gets it his delivery is excellent. I don't get why Kane is on set pieces ahead of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Since Wilshere came on for him we have seen exactly what Milner can't offer. He looks like he can create something from nothing with his passing.
  • Options
    Depends what you want as the manager.

A hard working midfielder on the right, who covers back and allows the right back to get forward on the overlap, in Milner.

Or an attacking midfielder/winger in Sterling, who is inconsistent, (or Townsend, who has been discarded).

Which one suits Hodgson?
  • Options
    Also he's lethal when he gets around the back. Most players just drill it like we've mostly seen tonight, but Milner always delivers.
  • Options
    Always think that Milners persona goes before his talent. 14 assists and 5 goals since January for a side that did the business is Europe. If we play two holding I'd play Dier and Wilshere but Milner has ability and is he epitamy of a squad player.
  • Options
    The only situation I'd want him is of we have a slender lead to defends for ten mins. Bring him on for an attacking player. You get a great hard working player who will cover the defense and you don't lose your outlet.
  • Options
    Boring as f@@k though isn't he. How many top national teams would he even get near? Answer = none.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Boring as f@@k though isn't he. How many top national teams would he even get near? Answer = none.

If England WAS a top national team that would be relevant. We aren't. Realistically we are and probably always will be on a tier below the very best, and someone like Milner is more than good enough for the team we ARE, if not the team we want to be (and the press like to pretend we actually are.)
  • Options
    I think tonight was more about the flaws in the tactics and system.
  • Options

One of the best form players in the Prem since Jan. People will laugh but the stats don't lie.

I'm not sure wheteher you're being sarcastic or not.

Milner is ranked something like the 6th best player in Europe isn't he ?

Stats definitely lie.

Just like CL ranked Makienok (in the player marks), above POTY Cousins.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Davo55 said:

That Twitter account is hilarious at times.

The real James Milner however is, as others have said, in the best form of his career and is rightly in the squad in my opinion.
  • Options
    James Milner is the new Owen Hargreaves... No one could understand why he was in the squad yet all of a sudden (2006 World Cup I think) he suddenly started playing really well and was probably one of our best players at that tournament.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

James Milner is the new Owen Hargreaves... No one could understand why he was in the squad yet all of a sudden (2006 World Cup I think) he suddenly started playing really well and was probably one of our best players at that tournament.

I was only 11 but I understood why Hargreaves was playing. He was a ball winner and played a role that would compliment Gerrard/Lampard rather than have them fighting trying to play the same role.

Milne does none of those things. Doesn't fill a gap where we have no one else. Doesn't compliment other players and doesn't suit our style of play.
  • Options
    Owen Hargreaves is nothing like Milner. for starters Hargreaves is a complete dick and he's Canadian.
  • Options

Owen Hargreaves is nothing like Milner. for starters Hargreaves is a complete dick and he's Canadian.

But Hargreaves did learn his trade in Germany and could therefore take a penalty
  • Options
    When Rooney was sent off against Portugal in 06, Owen Hargreaves played like a man possessed, covered every blade of grass and was a big part of why we took that to a penalty shoot-out.

Went from being a favourite of the boo-boys to a genuine favourite. Then unfortunately became a sicknote and hardly played for England again.
  • Options
    He can play in a number of positions. Doesn't get injured every 5 minutes. Hard working.
  • Options
    Milner won't be in the starting XI vs Russia, he's there because of what he brings to the squad overall.
  • Options
    i just find it suprising that hes earned more caps than Gascoigne, mind you thats probably more Gazzas (and Glenda's) fault.