Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Homophobia Tournament

edited May 2016 in General Charlton
Not seen this posted already, this weekend the Proud Valiants are celebrating one year in existence by hosting a three team tournament.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-vs-homophobia-proud-valiants-3120954.aspx#IyLzIZPjilUu8IXz.99

The fact that this group is recognized is one of the things that makes me incredibly proud to be Charlton. It is a great way to both show that the club does not accept homophobia, and, I imagine, to give LGTBQ+ people a solidified, formal place to go and be around people who both love football and are like themselves.

Comments

• Options
    It's had plenty of airings on Twitter.
  • Options

It's had plenty of airings on Twitter.

Yup, seen it a fair bit on there
  • Options
    I'm happy to use LGTBQ+, if such a description is needed, but it would be better if someone could come up with a better acronym or even word that was easier to say or spell than the above although why its needed I'm unsure. You wouldn't say my mate Mark, you know, the heterosexual one, so why is this needed? In some way by using such terms its discriminating, if you get my drift.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Potentially interesting thread.
  • Options
    Legitimate target for CARD..........
  • Options

Legitimate target for CARD..........

"Time to target Proud Valliants?"

Is the correct form : - :smile:

Not that they should be a target anymore than the Community Trust, who are playing, or the many other groups who've had charity matches this month.
  • Options
    Excuse my ignorance but what does the Q+ stand for?

I always thought it was LGBT.

Now I've also heard LGBTQIA - with I = intersex(?) and A = (asexual).

Hard to keep up with the latest thinking on this subject!
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Signifies inclusiveness
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Davo55 said:

Signifies inclusiveness
    What, like straight people?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

Davo55 said:

Q=Queer
    +=groups left out, intersexual, asexual, pansexual, etc.

Again, these are not unsubstantial groups of people who are only starting to be recognized, so you will see a fluctuation in accronyms and such given that there isn't (and may never be) an overarching term.

Thanks for asking, it's always nice when someone takes the time to say "I don't know can you please explain."
    I'd heard the term asexual but not intersexual or pansexual before. on googling the definitions I think I knew intersexual by a different term but have never heard pansexual before.
  • Options
    Good luck to them, hopefully Charlton can actually win this one given the opposition !
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

I reckon we'll come from behind.

Pathetic
    I thought it was hilarious
  • Options
    9am????? On a Sunday?

Bit early
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

In the States, we're currently having a national discussion about bathrooms, which is a distraction from the larger conversation that individual states are revoking the rights of the LGTBQ+ community as protected from being discriminated against (i.e. North Carolina's new bill makes it legal for anyone to discriminate against people based on their sexual or gender orientation).

I didn't know it was currently illegal in the US to discriminate based on sexual orientation etc. but for that to be the case and now have states wanting to turn the clock back is very worrying. What's next, saying it's OK to discriminate on grounds of sex or colour?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
  • Options

SDAddick said:

In the States, we're currently having a national discussion about bathrooms, which is a distraction from the larger conversation that individual states are revoking the rights of the LGTBQ+ community as protected from being discriminated against (i.e. North Carolina's new bill makes it legal for anyone to discriminate against people based on their sexual or gender orientation).

I didn't know it was currently illegal in the US to discriminate based on sexual orientation etc. but for that to be the case and now have states wanting to turn the clock back is very worrying. What's next, saying it's OK to discriminate on grounds of sex or colour?
    Unfortunately, in around 30 states it is still LEGAL to discriminate against people for their sexuality. Basically you can not hire them, fire them, etc if they're gay.

The federal Government, at the order of President Obama, has just made it illegal for anyone doing business with the federal Government to discriminate against people for their sexuality or gender identity. The end goal in this is to hopefully make it so that it is illegal in all of the US to discriminate on these ground.

That's a very simplified version of what's going on. There is a lot of back and forth between state and federal governments, and this is also a big part of the "culture war" in the US. I don't want to get into it here, because it's quite complex just from the legal perspective and I want to keep this about the Valiants and the general accepting culture around CAFC. Happy to start another thread if there's interest to go into what's going on in the US surrounding these issues at present.
  • Options
    M.
    Should we also add an 'M' for monosexual? And a 'C' for celibate?
    LGBTQMC+