Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aston Villa Have Sold Up, Why Can't Charlton?

I would be interested to know what Aston Villa fans are thinking after hearing the announcement last night that the club has been sold for 60 plus million,to chinese investors? obviously they are a far bigger club than we are , with a richer past of success , but surely every clubs available for a price, so Mr Duchatelet why are you blindly sticking to your guns, do the right thing and sell up please , and make a lot of people in south East London , and around the globe a lot happier.

If Aston Villa can be sold , surely so can we, the potential at this club with the fanbase behind is huge.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/10287003/aston-villa-sold-to-chinese-company-owned-by-dr-tony-xia

Comments

• Options

He doesn't want us sold to a Chinese owner as they are "foriegn".

Roland did qualify that by saying that yes he was foreign too but he doesn't count as he's Belguim.

And Katy talks about Racism in football.

Learner realised he's better off out of it and needed to cut his loses and sell for the sake of the club.

Roland has no interest in Charlton, just proving his mad experiment right.

And as he doesn't do failure he won't admit that his best option would be to sell now and limit his losses.

So he'll carry on with an underfunded squad and a new manager who will be undermined by Roland and his incompetent CEO.

He will fail again, Katrien will tell us "we underestimated League one but we've learnt from our mistakes" and then and only then will he think of selling.

Too late and the damage done will take 5 to 10 years to repair but he will sell eventually.

Let's all hope that day comes before the damage done is irreparable.
  • Options
    Aston Villa are one of the biggest clubs in the country, maybe not in overall attendance, revenue, silverware, stature or history, but a combination of all the above coupled with a consistency of top flight football. I would argue 60million is a bargain for Dr Xia, and they have only got that price because Lerner has had them up for sale for 2 years and was desperately trying to cut losses. Duchatelet is the exact opposite,he doesn't want to sell and is overinflating the price to ward people off
  • Options
    Villa are a big club. With sensible recruitment, they should easily get promoted back to the PL and the pot of gold there

We're now TWO divisions from the pot of gold. We'd be far more attractive to potential buyers as a Championship club
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Learner realised he's better off out of it and needed to cut his loses and sell for the sake of the club.

Lerner put the club on the market about 2 years ago at a ridiculous price and has only now found someone willing to buy (at a much reduced price).

• Options

Villa are a big club. With sensible recruitment, they should easily get promoted back to the PL and the pot of gold there

We're now TWO divisions from the pot of gold. We'd be far more attractive to potential buyers as a Championship club

I do not agree with the "Sensible Recruitment" comment. They have signed some dross, with the nadir being giving Tim Sherwood 40m to spend in the summer.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I do not agree with the "Sensible Recruitment" comment. They have signed some dross, with the nadir being giving Tim Sherwood 40m to spend in the summer.
    I never suggested that previously they've recruited sensibly! And I'm not sure that it was Sherwood who bought those players either...

Going forward though, for a club that size, and with parachute money, they really ought to be able to bounce straight back IF they buy the right players.
  • Options
    Quite simple, Lerner wanted to sell, RD doesn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 is spot on the reason RD isn't selling yet is because he doesn't want to. Bit of a silly question really if you don't mind me saying.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

SDAddick said:

I never suggested that previously they've recruited sensibly! And I'm not sure that it was Sherwood who bought those players either...

Going forward though, for a club that size, and with parachute money, they really ought to be able to bounce straight back IF they buy the right players.
    Ha sorry I read it as "Villa are a big club with sensible recruitment." Missed the period there.
  • Options

DA9 is spot on the reason RD isn't selling yet is because he doesn't want to. Bit of a silly question really if you don't mind me saying.

Ok i can see where you're coming from but if you ran a business that your heart wasn't in, that you were making so many basic errors , and your 'customer' base was extremely fished off, wouldn't you have the sense to say, do you know what, i'm out of my depth on this one?
  • Options
    I've never been to Villa Park for a football game but I went last year for a rugby World Cup game and I was very impressed with the ground, really top quality approach and walk up.

As someone who grew up in Coventry they will always be the Vile to me.

£60m if there is no debt to pay off does look like a bargain. You may have to spunk £200m for a couple of years but then if that works and you are back in the premiership Villa can be a good side.
  • Options

I've never been to Villa Park for a football game but I went last year for a rugby World Cup game and I was very impressed with the ground, really top quality approach and walk up.

As someone who grew up in Coventry they will always be the Vile to me.

£60m if there is no debt to pay off does look like a bargain. You may have to spunk £200m for a couple of years but then if that works and you are back in the premiership Villa can be a good side.

£60m for Villa vs £38m for Charlton...
  • Options

Ok i can see where you're coming from but if you ran a business that your heart wasn't in, that you were making so many basic errors , and your 'customer' base was extremely fished off, wouldn't you have the sense to say, do you know what, i'm out of my depth on this one?
    What you haven't factored in is the fact that Roland is insane.
  • Options
    RD will sell at the right price
  • Options

Maybe that's point, he/she have realised they are out of their depth, after blagging it the last 2 seasons.
    I HOPE relegation has given them the kick up the arse their obvious ignorance and inexperience deserves, for the good of our club I hope I'm right.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

RD will sell at the right price

He's in for a bit of a rude wakening if he thinks that holding onto the club and getting it back in the championship that he's going to get more money, the guy is deluded with his strategies.
  • Options
    I believe that London clubs will eventually dominate. Our club will be an attractive proposition to an overseas
    Magnate- it's when!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah it's a great money laundering possibility.
  • Options
    When we're 17th in February he will surely reach his 'bollocks to this' moment.
  • Options
    Has it been revealed whether he is taking on any debt in relation to the £60-70m or is that total price including debt?
  • Options

Lerner apologised for what had happened, said he did what he thought was in the best interests of the club. He admitted it didn't work apologised for it and took responsibility for that. Made changes at board and manager level then sold the club. Shows that he is a human unlike Roly. If our lot had a modicum of their class we would be alright.

But Roly is an alien sent from space solely to piss off Charlton fans.

The lore goes, and I think it's true, that Lerner has supported Villa ever since he was studying abroad the year they won the European Cup. He bought it with the best of intentions, and has been trying to sell for at least two years, and probably longer. I think it's why we didn't really see too many mass protests from Villa fans. They were saying "Lerner out" and he seemed to reply with "I'm trying!"

I think it's worth noting that ever since Martin O'Neill was at the club, they've struggled to balance their budget. O'Neill signed players on high wages and/or for decent transfer fees, and then discarded them. McLeish and Lambert also made very underwhelming signings, but there was a lengthy struggle to get some of O'Neill's players off the wage bill. For me, it's a cautionary tale against the traditional British manager role in football. It's clear that the Villa execs at the time didn't really understand what all was going on, and when O'Neill left, most of the footballing knowledge in the business left with him. Lerner did try to restructure things earlier this season, but by then it was re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic.

As for the price difference, I imagine Villa have some huge debts. They were apparently losing around 1m pounds a week at times this year. Remember the flat sale price quoted in the media is rarely the full encapsulation of costs.
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

He doesn't want us sold to a Chinese owner as they are "foriegn".

Roland did qualify that by saying that yes he was foreign too but he doesn't count as he's Belguim.

And Katy talks about Racism in football.

Roland has no interest in Charlton, just proving his mad experiment right.

And as he doesn't do failure he won't admit that his best option would be to sell now and limit his losses.

So he'll carry on with an underfunded squad and a new manager who will be undermined by Roland and his incompetent CEO.

He will fail again, Katrien will tell us "we underestimated League one but we've learnt from our mistakes" and then and only then will he think of selling.

Too late and the damage done will take 5 to 10 years to repair but he will sell eventually.

that cheered me up.
    !
  • Options
    edited May 2016

For me the most illuminating part of the whole Villa debacle, was the performance of the now departed American CEO on Five Live, when interviewed by the ever excellent Pat Murphy.

Asked what he would he would say to Villa fans perturbed at being ten points adrift at the bottom of the league, he actually said:

"I would urge them to look at the whole picture, the fact that our merchandise sales are up YOY, and that due to a staff restructure our operating costs have been reduced significantly - we are a much leaner organisation, than 12 month's ago."

This made me both laugh out loud and cringe, as I can well imagine a couple of beered up Brummie's in the Holt End tearing into the team, only to be pulled up by some nearby fans, who urge them to quell their tempers, and point out to them that operating costs are down at the club, and sales of Villa car stickers are at an all time high.

Villa and Charlton this season held so many similarities. An infrastructure full of people with no idea about football, a largely absentee owner, bargain European players with 'potential' scouted by committee.

The comment above is exactly the sort of bullshine that Katrien would come out with - in fact at the conference the other day didn't she say something like 'but we have the most affordable season tickets and we do community work'. Apart from the inaccuracies in that statement, it just shows that they really don't understand that all of that stuff is secondary to ambition and success on the pitch. It's why we're all there at the end of the day, why any of this exists.
  • Options

For me the most illuminating part of the whole Villa debacle, was the performance of the now departed American CEO on Five Live, when interviewed by the ever excellent Pat Murphy.

Asked what he would he would say to Villa fans perturbed at being ten points adrift at the bottom of the league, he actually said:

"I would urge them to look at the whole picture, the fact that our merchandise sales are up YOY, and that due to a staff restructure our operating costs have been reduced significantly - we are a much leaner organisation, than 12 month's ago."

This made me both laugh out loud and cringe, as I can well imagine a couple of beered up Brummie's in the Holt End tearing into the team, only to be pulled up by some nearby fans, who urge them to quell their tempers, and point out to them that operating costs are down at the club, and sales of Villa car stickers are at an all time high.

Villa and Charlton this season held so many similarities. An infrastructure full of people with no idea about football, a largely absentee owner, bargain European players with 'potential' scouted by committee.

The comment above is exactly the sort of bullshine that Katrien would come out with - in fact at the conference the other day didn't she say something like 'but we have the most affordable season tickets and we do community work'. Apart from the inaccuracies in that statement, it just shows that they really don't understand that all of that stuff is secondary to ambition and success on the pitch. It's why we're all there at the end of the day, why any of this exists.
    What name for The Valley would you suggest if someone does eventually buy RD out?