Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Team spirit

Watched Wimbledon last night and the team spirit they showed was such a contrast to the disjointed chaos at our club. Their team wouldn't give up and loved the celebrations of fans and players at the end - Ade Akinfenwa epitomised the character of the club.
I feel almost ashamed with Charlton at present and can't see any chance of building a cohesive team.

Comments

• Options
    It's definitely one thing we need to address. We win together and we lose together. Too many players have the attitude of "Well I did my bit"

Not wishing to sound xenophobic but we need a group of english/British players who all want to be a part of the New Charlton that we need to see from July. One that has an English manager who calls the shots. A core of young, hardworking English players prepared to run through walls for their manager and a sprinkling of older, wiser heads to act as mentors to the kids.

And a board of Directors who put their hands in their pockets and stop fucking around with the day to day running of the club.

Fund it and shut up.

We can but dream
  • Options

The spirit, that the Belgians dismantled and destroyed.

....and they don't even realise what they've destroyed
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited May 2016
    Swisdom said:

It's definitely one thing we need to address. We win together and we lose together. Too many players have the attitude of "Well I did my bit"

Not wishing to sound xenophobic but we need a group of english/British players who all want to be a part of the New Charlton that we need to see from July. One that has an English manager who calls the shots. A core of young, hardworking English players prepared to run through walls for their manager and a sprinkling of older, wiser heads to act as mentors to the kids.

And a board of Directors who put their hands in their pockets and stop fucking around with the day to day running of the club.

Fund it and shut up.

We can but dream

Blimey you've changed your tune, not loving the Belgians today? There will be no new Charlton with these idiots in charge, just the same shit as the last 2 years probably worse.
  • Options
    The Under-18's showed the same team spirit when they won their play-off final.
  • Options
    I think it's a bit unfair to dig @Swisdom out as a major supporter of Duchatelet and Katrien Meire.

As far as I remember his (assuming you are male) firm do some IT work with them. So there is some contact with senior management that most of us do not have.

It is helpful for all of us to remember that while we think the SMT are alien lizards in disguise looking to destroy the club in a fit of pique, this is probably about as true as they are potentially fantastic group who have made a few mistakes but going forwards it will all be alright.

My view is that Katrien Meire is incompetent with players, managers and in general. This is supported by a significant number of comments from (ex) managers, players and the outflow of senior staff.

My view is that duchetelt is deluded. He has got to the stage where, having no need to work any more, he his casting his originally active mind around and, because of his success he thinks his ideas in other areas carry some sort of superior validity despite the fact that he has been wrong so many times.

Roland, Katrien, if I had to work with you, if I was a hostage to fortune, I would attempt but I would expect to fail. No matter how good my work was, you would find a way to destroy it or make it irrelevant.

• Options
    Swisdom said:

You've just described Millwall's team, sad to say.
  • Options
    @Swisdom, as you meet with members of SMT on a reasonably regular occasions - more than the majority of us do - can you tell us if they actually know what mistakes they made?

They have been saying for a long time that mistakes have been made, but have never said what those mistakes were.

• Options
    alangee said:

@Swisdom, as you meet with members of SMT on a reasonably regular occasions - more than the majority of us do - can you tell us if they actually know what mistakes they made?

They have been saying for a long time that mistakes have been made, but have never said what those mistakes were.

To be fair to Katrien, she mentioned it last week; the main mistakes are regarding their selection of managers and players. Other than that, everything is great.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    alangee said:

I am afraid I can't confirm if they have actually learned from their mistakes - or indeed identified exactly what those mistakes were. I know someone who has posed those exact questions and received a politicians answer (and subsequently withdrawn funding)

The soundbytes about our targets and possible managers seem to imply they are aware that buying British is the way forward. The next showstopper is whether they will be left to seek their own transfer targets.
    Nug said:

Swisdom said:

Fund it and shut up.

We can but dream

Blimey you've changed your tune, not loving the Belgians today? There will be no new Charlton with these idiots in charge, just the same shit as the last 2 years probably worse.
    I neither love or hate them. I just believe their hearts are in the right place but they are either out of their depth, in need of assistance or a combination of both.

Swisdom said:

You've just described Millwall's team, sad to say.
    True - hadn't realised. But look how their season has turned out (and probably on a smaller budget than we will have) so it can be done