Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Browns comments on BBC London sum everything up perfectly...

edited May 2016 in General Charlton
https://audioboom.com/boos/4535392-icymi-cafc-steve-brown-gives-an-impassioned-reaction-to-his-former-club-s-fortunes

Love the point made about how the football league people love their prawn sannies and their exec box tickets to big games, but couldnt give a f*ck about a bunch of nutters running one their member clubs into the ground...

The amount of passion in Steves voice moves me to tears.

Comments

• Options
    Well worth a listen, both the presenter and Steve are totally on board with us.
  • Options
    Steve Brown told it as it is. Total respect for him.
  • Options
    Steve brown...

legend

Haven't listened yet but I'm sure it will further enhance his legend status

I remember speaking with him.

He said he was doing his coaching badges but no club would give him the break he needed. Said he applied countless of times to be a coach at charlton. Couldn't get his foot in the door. This convo was some amount of years ago though.
  • Options
    Brownie your a legend!!
  • Options
    Would love to see him back in some capacity when this shower have gone. As a player, a real gutsy performer giving it gravy every week. He never let us down! A great example for others to follow and knows what the Club and supporters are all about.
  • Options
    One of my favourite players. Seemed to always give a good performance yet was seen to be a backup a lot of the time under Curbs, which I thought was harsh.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Imagine if this was happening to Man United!

Obama would be involved by now!

Don't do yourself down mate - you're our Obama. No ifs, no buts.

xx
    Get moaned at for "doing myself up" and for "doing myself down"

You really are just here for the likes and lols aren't you!

• Options
    Talal said:

One of my favourite players. Seemed to always give a good performance yet was seen to be a backup a lot of the time under Curbs, which I thought was harsh.

Curbs liked players to be versatile and Brownie provided him with great options off the bench, especially the fact that we didn't at times need to have a designated keeper sub because he was such a capable deputy in that role too. You don't see that very often these days, although the designated number of subs rule has changed of course.

I agree he was often used as backup, but I don't think Curbs under estimated his value to the side at all.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Talal said:

Curbs liked players to be versatile and Brownie provided him with great options off the bench, especially the fact that we didn't at times need to have a designated keeper sub because he was such a capable deputy in that role too. You don't see that very often these days, although the designated number of subs rule has changed of course.

I agree he was often used as backup, but I don't think Curbs under estimated his value to the side at all.

I don't suppose he did, it just used to annoy me when he'd put in a few 9 out of 10 performances and then find himself back on the bench until someone else was injured/suspended.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Talal said:

I don't suppose he did, it just used to annoy me when he'd put in a few 9 out of 10 performances and then find himself back on the bench until someone else was injured/suspended.
    I don't disagree and it shows what a great attitude he had being used in that way yet still churning out consistently good performances when called on.
  • Options
    Brownie spot on ,pity peacock does not speak out.
  • Options
    He was a great servant - he did a job for us in the Premiership but lacked a yard of pace to make him a regular. I remember the equaliser in the 4-2 win at Highbury like it was yesterday. Stevie Brown. He never let us down!
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

Off_it said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Imagine if this was happening to Man United!

Obama would be involved by now!

Don't do yourself down mate - you're our Obama. No ifs, no buts.

xx
    Get moaned at for "doing myself up" and for "doing myself down"

You really are just here for the likes and lols aren't you!

Really? Seriously?

Have you ever bigged yourself up on here? Can't say I've noticed.

• Options
    Steve Brown spot on here 'how does the club build a team without a chief scout ? '

He is perplexed as what Duchatelet is doing, why run a club so badly ? I am with Steve Brown on this one. It is a mystery.

Great to see the passion, still Charlton through and through.
  • Options
    That Villa game was ridiculous. They assumed cos he was an outfield player that he'd be no use, so kept shooting from distance, and he looked like he could have gone all day without letting one in. If they'd just treated him like an ordinary keeper and gone for crosses and low shots he'd have had much more difficulty.
  • Options
    Just listened.

Love the bloke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1st thing that comes to mind was when he got sent off v Leicster and was being stretchered off!

Great underrated defender unsung hero. Played with heart.
  • Options

The day he delayed Charlton's relegation by playing in goal after Sasa Illic's red card. An absolute battler, so much respect.imageimage

Amazing game, but I don't think it was Sasa in goal. Andy Petterson maybe?
  • Options
    All 3 of them are spot on. Brownie, Bradley Allen and Phil Parry
  • Options

He was a great servant - he did a job for us in the Premiership but lacked a yard of pace to make him a regular. I remember the equaliser in the 4-2 win at Highbury like it was yesterday. Stevie Brown. He never let us down!

I was torturing myself yesterday by watching the highlights of that game (how did we ever get from that to this?) He was interviewed after with Kins, and what struck me was their sincerity and modesty. Humble, honest, hardworking pros, like the rest of that team. Not enough of that at the club today.
  • Options
    vff said:

Steve Brown spot on here 'how does the club build a team without a chief scout ? '

He is perplexed as what Duchatelet is doing, why run a club so badly ? I am with Steve Brown on this one. It is a mystery.

Great to see the passion, still Charlton through and through.

I don't think it is a mystery - the bloke may have money but he is clueless! He is also most likely to be a bit senile. He is a coward too but that is not relevant here. We can be pretty confident of these things given what we have seen. It is as simple as that really!
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

That Villa game was ridiculous. They assumed cos he was an outfield player that he'd be no use, so kept shooting from distance, and he looked like he could have gone all day without letting one in. If they'd just treated him like an ordinary keeper and gone for crosses and low shots he'd have had much more difficulty.

Steve Brown is my all time favourite Charlton player. He was a pretty good keeper in his own right. He made an absolute flying save against a Wolves free kick once that any keeper would have been proud of.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Missed It said:

aliwibble said:

Steve Brown is my all time favourite Charlton player. He was a pretty good keeper in his own right. He made an absolute flying save against a Wolves free kick once that any keeper would have been proud of.
    I believe it was only; around age 17 he was actually converted from a Goalkeeper to an outfield player. Thats why if Brownie was on the bench often Curb's didn't bother with a reserve keeper.

Top bloke, typifies what a Charlton player should be, 100% heart, 100% commitment.

Ultimate utility player, wherever he was asked to go and whatever he was asked to do, 100%.
  • Options
    My favourite memory of him was that tackle in the play off final that led to our fourth goal. Frightening hard but perfectly fair.
  • Options
    I'm sure he speaks for not just all Charlton fans but all ex-players from his era.What a squad the club had then and what great personalities.One of Curbs' greatest stregths was his ability to bring together players who wanted success and to play for the club and fans.If the interviewer had spoken to Johnny Robinson,Garry Nelson,Deano or any other player from that time he would have had the same heart-felt reaction. It's upsetting to hear an ex-player that downbeat when they all were so positive during their time at the club.We've come full circle from those days.Those years of effort in the past,the respect we had from all over football,just tossed to the wind and ruined in a comparative instant.This regime is insane.
    Trouble is the main lunatic just goes deeper into his bubble and to live in his own perfect world.
    Great respect to Steve Brown---and thank you for all you did at the club and for your continuing support against this tyranny.
  • Options

The day he delayed Charlton's relegation by playing in goal after Sasa Illic's red card. An absolute battler, so much respect.imageimage

Not important to your point, but it was Andy Petterson who got sent off.
    It's important to me though, as it was the first season I got into football.
    Sasa Ilic had been a hero, but then lost his way a bit then got injured.
    Andy Petterson was just monumentally shit.