Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Times reporting that Riga is on his way

Comments

• Options
    Oakster said:

Step forward Wim de Cort, one day a stand will be named after him at The Valley - mark my words!

Only if they change the O and the R to a U and an N in the last part of his name.
  • Options
    Asked if he would remain at The Valley, Riga told BBC Radio London: "It will be the content of the next meeting.
    "It depends on the context, how they react to things and how they want to do things in the future. That is the most important thing for me."

Riga obviously asked to have a say in the running of things - big mistake with RD and the dominatrix. Next manager?
    image<
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

They will hire the worst British manager possible so they can sack him after a month and say

"we done it your way but I guess British managers are not very good after all HAHA"

Never a truer word in jest. You're probably not too far wrong.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Wasn't he on loan to us in the Upton Park days?
    The White Rueben Agboola.
  • Options
    Les Reid anyone?
  • Options
    ...in light of the club not wanting to build up the fans expectations, I think this would be a great call

; )
  • Options
    Clement, Wilder......what planet are you on. No manager worth his salt will manage our club after a 5 minute conversation with Chris Powell or Jose Riga. So get ready for another no mark from Belgium.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Just what has Riga done to deserve the sack? This is disgusting. Whether you like Riga or not, you have to agree that this ridiculous turnover of managers is destroying the club. There is one thing that would get rid of this regime quicker than anything, and that would be for Jacko and the players to make a stand for the fans, for the club, and perhaps for Jose Riga, by sitting down in the centre circle and refuse to kick another ball for this club. What have they got to lose?, most are moving on anyway, and everyone in football is aware of the diabolical circumstances they are having to operate under. I doubt any future employer would hold it against them.
    Let RD try to run a football club where players refuse to play, it may be a world first. Over to you players, the fans have tried to do their bit, Jose tried to do his bit, now it's your turn. If you respect Jose Riga, Chris Powell, Phil Chappel and numerous other good people, and the supporters of this great club, make a stand and sit down on Saturday, it will make great TV!

I'd actually say it's the turnover of ridiculous managers.

Riga, much as I don't buy nto his "I love the club" schlock, is admittedly not as bad as Fraeye or Luzon. His departure back to obscurity, (and probably another Network job), represents the rotten regime's best chance to appoint an up & coming young manager with at least some know how at L1 level.
    This.
  • Options

No manager worth his salt will manage our club after a 5 minute conversation with Chris Powell or Jose Riga.

Um, or Katrien or Roly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fumbluff said:

Can he be ruled out for definite?

Has the guy behind Roland just caught sight of his shoe?
    No. He just overheard Roland say 'What are your plans after the Euros Marc? Because I own this little club in London.......'
  • Options

Dougie Freidman.

Roland to Katrien..."OK, what do we do to make these bloody fans happy"? Katrien ...."Why not appoint a Palace legend " ?
  • Options
    Agree with the bulk of this ^ we're almost on the same page Gary.
  • Options

Oakster said:

Just what has Riga done to deserve the sack? This is disgusting. Whether you like Riga or not, you have to agree that this ridiculous turnover of managers is destroying the club. There is one thing that would get rid of this regime quicker than anything, and that would be for Jacko and the players to make a stand for the fans, for the club, and perhaps for Jose Riga, by sitting down in the centre circle and refuse to kick another ball for this club. What have they got to lose?, most are moving on anyway, and everyone in football is aware of the diabolical circumstances they are having to operate under. I doubt any future employer would hold it against them.
    Let RD try to run a football club where players refuse to play, it may be a world first. Over to you players, the fans have tried to do their bit, Jose tried to do his bit, now it's your turn. If you respect Jose Riga, Chris Powell, Phil Chappel and numerous other good people, and the supporters of this great club, make a stand and sit down on Saturday, it will make great TV!

Riga, much as I don't buy nto his "I love the club" schlock, is admittedly not as bad as Fraeye or Luzon. His departure back to obscurity, (and probably another Network job), represents the rotten regime's best chance to appoint an up & coming young manager with at least some know how at L1 level.
    I have to agree here. Riga is a very nice man and he conducts himself well but I think we really have to look at the standards we now set ourselves for managers. We loved Riga when he came in because we stayed up, but also because in the early days of RD immediately post-Powell we feared the absolute worst. Instead we got an articulate coach who said all the right things about the club and the fans, so we took to him. Then when he was asked back he was replacing Mad Dog Luzon and Karel 'Literally Satan' Fraeye. But really Riga's done a poor job on his return.

Look at the squad we have. In Pope and Henderson we have two keepers who are better than quite a few teams' number one. Our back four with the strengthening signings is actually very decent. Motta and Solly at RB, Fox and Yun at LB, Fanni, Teixeira, Lennon and Diarra for centre halves is strong. Johann, Cousins, Vetokele, Lookman, there's no way this side should have carried on its crap form once Riga took over and the transfer window closed. We can talk all we want about bad feeling in the club and how sad the players were and their confidence but a manager worth his salt would have lifted spirits, tightened up and started grinding out results. Like Warnock did at Rotherham. After we smashed Rotherham 4-1 at their place we should have gone into our next games raring to go, but instead we barely turned up against a relegation rival and it all went back to the bottom of the hill at the first opportunity. He's failed. He was brought in, backed with some new signings, blessed with a cluster of very winnable fixtures, and should have been able to lift players who were playing well below the standards they are capable of. Instead we lost to Bristol City, bore-drawed our way through MK Dons at home, managed to lose a game where we put three past the opposition at home and couldn't even score against Bolton to keep ourselves alive. Is Riga the best Network manager we've had? Yes. Is he good enough to manage the club on this evidence? No.

Personally I'm sick of looking at a bad hand and resigning myself to the least worst option. Can't wait until Roland sells up. And breaks another shoe.
    Pope, Fox, Johann, we're playing poorly before Riga arrived, he lifted their form as well as Cousins. Vetokele and Diarra were still out injured/lacked fitness for a long period under Riga. Riga brought in Teixeira, Fanni and Yun, but it takes time to integrate new players and once again, aside from Tex, they were lacking match fitness. Yes we should have followed through following the great result at Rotherham, but once again, we lost Vetokele, and the crowd v Bristol City was frankly, as flat as a pancake. Results on the whole could have been better, but when you take into account the mitigating circumstances and the tough fixtures, 5 wins out of 18 is not too shabby and certainly doesn't warrant the sack.
  • Options

It will either be Vignejvic or O'Loughlin, I can't see it being anybody else. Duchatelet has only ever appointed his own men, I can't see him appointing anybody that doesn't already know what he is about and isn't ready to tow the line. Clearly the reason Riga is off is because he doesn't just quietly do as he is told.

Peeters wasn't in Roland's circle previously though was he? Not that that went well behind the scenes either I suppose.
  • Options
    What has impressed me about Riga latest spell?
    Well he dropped Roger J and Diego and has tried to give Callum a bit of confidence.
    However there remains lots of questions like with Henderson, Solly to an extent Jacko.
    My biggest concern is how such an apparently cultured football man can cope with the muck and bullets of the likes of Scunthorpe away week after week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Can he be ruled out for definite?

Well @colin1961 says he is nailed on, a done deal etc........so yes he can be ruled out.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Agree with the bulk of this ^ we're almost on the same page Gary.

Hug?
  • Options

Oakster said:

I have to agree here. Riga is a very nice man and he conducts himself well but I think we really have to look at the standards we now set ourselves for managers. We loved Riga when he came in because we stayed up, but also because in the early days of RD immediately post-Powell we feared the absolute worst. Instead we got an articulate coach who said all the right things about the club and the fans, so we took to him. Then when he was asked back he was replacing Mad Dog Luzon and Karel 'Literally Satan' Fraeye. But really Riga's done a poor job on his return.

Look at the squad we have. In Pope and Henderson we have two keepers who are better than quite a few teams' number one. Our back four with the strengthening signings is actually very decent. Motta and Solly at RB, Fox and Yun at LB, Fanni, Teixeira, Lennon and Diarra for centre halves is strong. Johann, Cousins, Vetokele, Lookman, there's no way this side should have carried on its crap form once Riga took over and the transfer window closed. We can talk all we want about bad feeling in the club and how sad the players were and their confidence but a manager worth his salt would have lifted spirits, tightened up and started grinding out results. Like Warnock did at Rotherham. After we smashed Rotherham 4-1 at their place we should have gone into our next games raring to go, but instead we barely turned up against a relegation rival and it all went back to the bottom of the hill at the first opportunity. He's failed. He was brought in, backed with some new signings, blessed with a cluster of very winnable fixtures, and should have been able to lift players who were playing well below the standards they are capable of. Instead we lost to Bristol City, bore-drawed our way through MK Dons at home, managed to lose a game where we put three past the opposition at home and couldn't even score against Bolton to keep ourselves alive. Is Riga the best Network manager we've had? Yes. Is he good enough to manage the club on this evidence? No.

Personally I'm sick of looking at a bad hand and resigning myself to the least worst option. Can't wait until Roland sells up. And breaks another shoe.
    Pope, Fox, Johann, we're playing poorly before Riga arrived, he lifted their form as well as Cousins. Vetokele and Diarra were still out injured/lacked fitness for a long period under Riga. Riga brought in Teixeira, Fanni and Yun, but it takes time to integrate new players and once again, aside from Tex, they were lacking match fitness. Yes we should have followed through following the great result at Rotherham, but once again, we lost Vetokele, and the crowd v Bristol City was frankly, as flat as a pancake. Results on the whole could have been better, but when you take into account the mitigating circumstances and the tough fixtures, 5 wins out of 18 is not too shabby and certainly doesn't warrant the sack.
    This is terrible. Riga's brief was to win a relegation battle. He's won less than a third of his games, and one of his wins was after we were already relegated. If we can't beat a relegation rival because the crowd isn't cheerful enough then we really are hitting the bottom of the excuses barrel. I'm not saying Riga should be sacked even, I'm well aware that whatever RD brings in next will be worse, I'm just pointing out that are standards are far too low these days. 5 wins out of 18 is shabby. It's shabby, it's poor and it's contributed to our relegation. We deserved better.
    Sorry, but 20 points in 18 games is not terrible. It would have delivered 51 points over a full season and comfortable safety. What Warnock managed to produce was promotion form, and you're right Riga failed to produce promotion form, as did Bolton and MK Dons. Perhaps we expected too much from him after his last spell and some are marking him down because he failed to reach their expectations, I think that's unreasonable.
    He wasn't brought in at the start of the season though was he? He was brought in to try and drag us out of the relegation zone and he miserably failed. 20 points in 18 towards the end of the season with so much to play for, all the players he had available to him with loans/ returns from injury isn't very good at all. Don't get why people love him so much. He survived last time because the 4 games in hand we had made it look a lot worse than it was. As far as I'm concerned he's the biggest puppet of them all. More than happy to work for and get sacked by Roland 3 times. I'd be ashamed to work for him once let alone go back again twice.
    I'm trying very hard, but for the life of me I cannot understand why a compliant Puppet, would have his strings cut, not once but twice, by his puppeteers. If he was hopeless at his job and extremely unpopular, perhaps, but we know that not to be the case. He was very successful in his first spell and average this time in far worse circumstances.
    So let's assume he's the nice compliant puppet you and others think he is. Why is he about to be fired?