Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton & Leicester - Last 4 Seasons

In case RD or KM are reading, was 3 places difference in the season before you took over the key factor in the complete disparity in each club's fortunes, or was one club well governed and the other not so well?

Leicester City

2012-13 Championship - 6th
2013-14 Championship - 1st (Champions/Promotion to the Premier League)
2014-15 Premier League - 14th
2015-16 Premier League - 1st (Champions/UEFA Champions League Group Stage)

Charlton Athletic

2012-13 Championship - 9th
(RD takes over January 2014)
2013-14 Championship - 18th
2014-15 Championship - 12th
2015-16 Championship - 22nd or 23rd (Relegation to League One)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2016
  • Options
    21 Aug 2012 Charlton Athletic v Leicester City W 2-1 League Championship
    19 Feb 2013 Leicester City v Charlton Athletic W 1-2 League Championship
    ----
    31 Aug 2013 Charlton Athletic v Leicester City W 2-1 League Championship
    01 Mar 2014 Leicester City v Charlton Athletic L 3-0 League Championship
  • Options

----

Us losing 3-0 ? Never !
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Scoham said:

One board want to see the club win games of the football.

The other want to prove they can break even while competing with their clever money saving appointments and signings. Even in League One, the lowest tier the club have ever played in, they "don't want to build up expectations".

As depressing as it may seem, I fear they ain't finished yet and worryingly won't be bothered in the slightest to go even lower :disappointed: .
  • Options

----

I used to enjoy playing Leicester. Yann shushing them, the Danny Haynes goal, the Morrison header. Enjoyed it less once RD took over. Just shows what effect team spirit and desire can have against teams with better players, until you tear it all out by selling the best players and undermining the manager. Wasn't that Leicester match Powell's last game?
  • Options

----

I used to enjoy playing Leicester. Yann shushing them, the Danny Haynes goal, the Morrison header. Enjoyed it less once RD took over. Just shows what effect team spirit and desire can have against teams with better players, until you tear it all out by selling the best players and undermining the manager. Wasn't that Leicester match Powell's last game?
    Can Add Shaun Bartlett's wonder volley to that list as well.

TBF whilst I am very happy for Leicester City this morning I am very jealous of their fans too. To think as clubs we were very similar and the story could have been us. Instead we are going in completely the opposite direction to them. And that makes me very sad.
  • Options
    Wasnt the Sheffield U cup game the last Powell game ?
  • Options
    Also there was a disparity that Leicester didn't bother paying their bills and then started again spending huge money for several seasons in the lower leagues. I have no respect for them reaching the PL.

However undeniable that this season was a phenomenal achievement that shows that a football club can be more then the sum of its parts, as we have shown to a lesser extent before. Where as we are less than the sum of our parts thanks to our illustrious leader and his simpleton stooges.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes because he was sacked the very next day...

The Leicester game where we lost 3-0 was the week before the Sheff Utd game
  • Options
    Interesting comparison but it's not really relevant to the RD out campaign.

No one expected Leicester to win the League and the vast majority doubted it when they were top in January or even a week or two ago. They were not 5000-1 for nothing.

Indeed, many other clubs would look bad against Leicester. Putting our standings alongside Blackpool's would probably scare me more as I think we are more like that club.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Got no time for Leicester for the above financial (mis) dealings. It seems that along with the likes of Palace and Southampton, it shows that being dodgy with your money DOES pay .

Along with the fact they have 2 of the most cynical players around in Huth and Morgan.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Interesting comparison but it's not really relevant to the RD out campaign.

No one expected Leicester to win the League and the vast majority doubted it when they were top in January or even a week or two ago. They were not 5000-1 for nothing.

Indeed, many other clubs would look bad against Leicester. Putting our standings alongside Blackpool's would probably scare me more as I think we are more like that club.

If I was going to make a point, it was that Leicester and Charlton are two similar clubs in terms of size and where their natural level is (mid-table finish in the Prem or should be promotion/play-off contenders in the Championship). Both have been recently bought by people with enough money to give both teams a decent shout at fighting to be promoted into the Prem and to stay there. Both already had above average facilities and similar attendances at the time RD took over (Leicester being boosted somewhat due to their winning league position). One team has soared and the other has completely fallen apart, in terms of both on and off pitch success and competence, and we can rightly point to every single decision RD and KM have made since Jan 2014 as the catalyst of our downfall, since Leicester's owners seem to have done completely the opposite to what RD and KM have done and admittedly their success this season is more of a testament to the grit and character of their players, but look at what a well-run and stable club can do to help players concentrate on their football and less on the turmoil of the day-to-day running of a business and sports franchise.

RD and KM - you have utterly failed in this business. You will never, ever find any success with any sporting venture. Get out of our club. Now.
  • Options
    I'm not disagreeing with you, @Fiiish. All I am saying is that you are picking an extreme example, Leicester, to compare Charlton's recent path. The reality is that most fans would have accepted reasonable business decisions, a reasonable manager, reasonable Championship quality players with a reasonable amount of commitment and a reasonable squad size. This could have achieved mid-table status and there would not have been one person protesting let alone 2%. The fear is that the circus rolls on and next year is just as bad or worse. I suppose prospects will start to unfold in the coming weeks but I'm not optimistic.
  • Options

I'm not disagreeing with you, @Fiiish. All I am saying is that you are picking an extreme example, Leicester, to compare Charlton's recent path. The reality is that most fans would have accepted reasonable business decisions, a reasonable manager, reasonable Championship quality players with a reasonable amount of commitment and a reasonable squad size. This could have achieved mid-table status and there would not have been one person protesting let alone 2%. The fear is that the circus rolls on and next year is just as bad or worse. I suppose prospects will start to unfold in the coming weeks but I'm not optimistic.

Fair does. I also was not saying that Charlton would be holding the Prem trophy this season had RD run the club as well as Leicester, but was pointing out the difference good governance can make, yes by using an extreme example. Apart from the fact that Leicester had a better squad than us and their owners were had been more established in 2014 and therefore the club was more stable, there was not a single thing Leicester did in their path to the Prem that RD could not have emulated. Instead he took a completely opposite path to Leicester's owners and the inevitable happened.
  • Options

Yes, sorry, I meant last league game.