Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Please read this 'simple' table and answer the question

What is a D grade O'level taken in 1987 equivalent to in GCSE?

Comments

• Options
    C
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    D until 1994, then C.
  • Options
    C
  • Options
    amazingly there is no official table of this kind, this one is taken from wikipedia. However the DfE have verbally told me they go by this table.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_of_Secondary_Education

Others however do not, mainly Universities for teacher training.

Ofqual and UCCAS have no official table for this.

The exam board that represent what was back then London University for Schools, read this table to mean a grade D is D, I am currently arguing that with them..
  • Options
    Er.....42 ?
  • Options
    I just emailed the secretary of state for Education..
  • Options
    c
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    C now
  • Options
    Back in 1974, for some strange reason, the O levels grades were A, C and E which were the equivalent of A, B or C for any other year. It took a bit of explaining for a few years to employers.....
    ( Sorry I don't really know why I have whittled on about this epic moment in the nation's education system, I am just trying to join in any thread that will have me...)
  • Options
    3blokes said:

Back in 1974, for some strange reason, the O levels grades were A, C and E which were the equivalent of A, B or C for any other year. It took a bit of explaining for a few years to employers.....
    ( Sorry I don't really know why I have whittled on about this epic moment in the nation's education system, I am just trying to join in any thread that will have me...)

That was the case in 1968 too, I seem to recall. But maybe only the London Exam Board?

Going completely off topic, the Headmaster of King Edward VI School, Stratford, was on BBC Breakfast the other day. He was talking about the recent reopening of Shakespeare's old school to tourists and suggested that in the Bard's time by the age of fourteen you had the equivalent education of a Classics Phd.
    Mind you, I'm guessing that they probably didn't do computer coding and the like! The kids also worked from 6am to 6pm six days a week.
  • Options
    Based purely on the table and assuming you mean today C
  • Options
    A*
  • Options
    have you asked Shay Given?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Macronate said:

He would have done a leaving cert.
  • Options
    Surely its D.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely you'd just lie on your CV like everyone else ?
  • Options

Macronate said:

He would have done a leaving certain.
    Intermediate Certificate surely? The Leaving's equivalent to A Levels.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Just make it up, nobody ever checks
  • Options
    My brain hurts........
  • Options
    Kanu
  • Options
    Would need to take Maths and English GCSE, despite an A'level English, and a BTEC 1st diploma which was apparently equivalent at the time to 5 GCSEs including Maths and English, also ignoring BA and MA.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Michael Gove carelessly stated "Our goal is for more and more schools to be above average" (or words to that effect). I liked it.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

3blokes said:

That was the case in 1968 too, I seem to recall. But maybe only the London Exam Board?

Going completely off topic, the Headmaster of King Edward VI School, Stratford, was on BBC Breakfast the other day. He was talking about the recent reopening of Shakespeare's old school to tourists and suggested that in the Bard's time by the age of fourteen you had the equivalent education of a Classics Phd.
    Mind you, I'm guessing that they probably didn't do computer coding and the like! The kids also worked from 6am to 6pm six days a week.
    I'm not exactly sure what that means, but whatever I imagine it might mean I'm sure wouldn't stand up to any scrutiny. PhD at 14? Nah.
  • Options
    From the table it depends whether the letters are indicating the top, middle or bottom of the grade boundaries, or just showing the grades available. I don't think you can claim you got the equivalent of a C at GCSE if you actually got a D at O Level though. Rather than arguing with the exam board it might be better approaching the teacher training institutions direct about whether they'll accept the qualifications you have as being equivalent to a C at GCSE for your application.

Are you looking to do a PCGE, or a Teach First type thing Razil? I get the impression Teach First can be a bit more flexible about those kind of things, but I could be wrong. If they're insistent on you getting the GCSEs, it might be worth looking at applying for a teaching assistant post for next year, while you do your resits, as it'll bring in some ready cash and be good experience to prepare you for the reality of the job.
  • Options
    3blokes said:

I was going to post the same but for 1973. And there's no mention of the 'U' unclassified grade which existed at that time. I successfully achieved one of these in Russian!

Now I wish I had learnt Russian a bit better as it would enable me to converse a little better with our Russian guests, particularly the mother and son that had their passports stolen from the beach yesterday, along with all their cash, credit cards and phones. Not a good idea to leave a bag with all your valuables lying on a beach whilst going for a sunset swim. I think he vaguely understood those fine English words "stupid prats".