Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

1947 FA Cup Winners

Comments

• Options

The model of the FA Cup that my late mum and her sister took to Wembley in 1947 - it is autographed by all the players and will hopefully be going to the CAFC museum soon.

Great item @GoldthorpesHeel and thanks for letting us display it.
  • Options
    Move on.
  • Options
    Why are some of the medals in the case displayed at a wonky angle whilst the others are straight?
  • Options
    Above/below 7 in the players marks thread.
  • Options
    I was going to bid for a winners medal once and if I'd got it was going to loan it to the club for display.

I then found out about someone else who was going to bid so decided against it as I knew I wouldnt be able to live with the competition. Turns out he did exactly the same thing!
  • Options

The model of the FA Cup that my late mum and her sister took to Wembley in 1947 - it is autographed by all the players and will hopefully be going to the CAFC museum soon.

Superb memorabilia
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Seed didn't give scores but did make comments on each player. Some got "poor" for a cup winning performance.

• Options
    Stig said:

70 years to the day that we were cup runners up.

Is that a picture of the Valley crowd before RD and KM took over :wink:
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Seed didn't give scores but did make comments on each player. Some got "poor" for a cup winning performance.

I am fairly confident he didn't do a dance like a middle aged man at Rio carnival when we scored.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

FA Cup display from the Museum @chathmuseumimage

More items from the display including the replica FA Cup given to all winners, A royal box programme with no adverts so as not to offend the dignitaries, tickets, rosettes and Jimmy Seed's match notes and drawing of the FA Cuo

Skipper Don Welsh going on a wild bender after game ; - )

Fabulous stuff.
    Have one or two signed bits and bobs from the dinners, and Jimmy's programme.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Katrien, being a passionate fan of the club, must have organised something special to mark the event. I am sure it will all become clear later when her plans for a celebration are released.

I definitely won't be invited!
  • Options
    edited February 2017

MrOneLung said:

He was consistent. I doubt the players got to see his comments?
    And I love that newspaper headline 'Charlton's FA Cup at Last'. How long were they waiting?

Also, as you know, back in the day the FA Cup had more prestige and glamour than winning the League.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

MrOneLung said:

And I love that newspaper headline 'Charlton's FA Cup at Last'. How long were they waiting?

Also, as you know, back in the day the FA Cup had more prestige and glamour than winning the League.
    I'd still rather us win the FA Cup than the league (not that either are a reality)
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

MrOneLung said:

I'd still rather us win the FA Cup than the league (not that either are a reality)
    There is still something magical about the fa cup and being there for that final must be amazing when the full time whistle goes and you have won.

I preferred winning the playoffs to winning division 1
  • Options

I found lots of paper cuttings not stuck into the scrapbooks and amongst them were two programmes.

They are from the 5th and 6th (quarter final) Preston and Brentford.

They are a bit tatty and had what I at first thought were team changes.

Then I looked again and realised they are player autographs.

Another quality addition Henry.

I have to say, I can't quite see what a fragrant Afrikander is at the top of the page, but a shag for 2 1/2 old pence must have been popular in 1947 :smile:
  • Options

Sorry to disappoint but it's tobacco : - )
  • Options

Sorry to disappoint but it's tobacco : - )

Aw shucks! And looking closer its actually 2 shillings and tuppence ha'penny
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I found lots of paper cuttings not stuck into the scrapbooks and amongst them were two programmes.

They are from the 5th and 6th (quarter final) Preston and Brentford.

They are a bit tatty and had what I at first thought were team changes.

Then I looked again and realised they are player autographs.

Extra rarity value to see that Charlton's defeat to Fulham is shown on the page too. The only time a team has lost en route to the FA Cup final.
  • Options

Sorry - not been around here much lately (what with training for the London marathon and last week's trip to the French Alps!). On behalf of myself, my brother Ian, and my cousins Marian, Judith and Kathryn (who sadly wasn't able to attend), it was a huge pleasure to meet you Ben and the others. Hope you get much pleasure from the material there.

Interesting to see the old programmes. And the "It was Newcastle who had the pains" clip had almost legendary status in our family as we were growing up.

Again - thanks for giving all of this a proper home at last,

Keith

The pleasure was all ours.

The replica trophy is now in the FA Cup cabinet and the comms team are using the scrapbooks for the programme.
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

Photo of Chris Duffy scoring the winning goal.Photo from The Daily Scetch which my dad sent away for as he was there.

With rationing etc, surely they could have made the shorts a bit smaller. Those Burnley shorts have enough material to close a family each!
  • Options
    I went to the old Press Association library just off Fleet St about 25 years ago and ordered a couple of prints from the final. You could go in, give them a topic and year and they would come out with a strip of small, original photos that you could order. Stupidly, I ordered a couple that are well known pictures but there must have been another 15 or so that you rarely/never see now.
  • Options
    Won the FA cup on Saturday 26 April 1947. So on the last home game of the season on 30th April I expect the management team will arrange a huge 70th Anniversary celebration...
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    That 1947 program must be very rare.
    Would love to have that as part of my collection.
  • Options

That 1947 program must be very rare.
    Would love to have that as part of my collection.

Decent ones go for around £150-£200
  • Options
    Not the one the museum have