Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johan Cruyff RIP

13»

Comments

• Options
    Amazing player - changed the game. Fortunate enough to see him play at the 1971 European Cup Final at Wembley - too young to appreciate what I was watching.
  • Options
    One of the less surprising cancer deaths really due to his smoking. Great player.
  • Options
    This day will come to us all but it's never easy the passing of a hero to many.
    I saw the Dutch beat us in 76 with the best team that has ever played the game. It was expected they would win and win they did. Best team never to win the World Cup. Cruyff, the best of a great team.
  • Options

Bloody hell, this is a shock. Was he ill or is this a sudden death?

RIP Johan, you knew how to entertain.

No shock to people living over here,been sick for agood few months.Lung Cancer 40 aday man.

Everyone who is anyone will all be saying how great he was.Playing football yes but not the best for me that was Johnny Rep.....With Johan and managerment working at Ajax people never could agree with him.Best thing he done was leaving Ajax sticking two fingars up to them saying he could still give football something,had a point he won the league with Feyenoord the next season.Then went to USA .
  • Options
    His playing career was before I was so I didn't really get to watch him play. But a great ambassador for the game has been lossed. RIP.
  • Options
    Very sad news, a world football legend., RIP
  • Options
    Poor sod, he didn't last long after being diagnosed. Now he was a footballer!!! RIP.... JC

FUCK OFF CANCER!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    A player that never ceased to amaze and who created so much that is now taken for granted in football.
    An absolute master--without doubt one of the top five greatest of all time.
    Watch Messi now and that was Cruyff in his day,unpredictable,fantastic pace and jaw-dropping ball skills.A genius footballer,then coach and manager.
    And an innovator of so many facets of attacking play and team play.
    So sad when someone such as him leaves us.
    Thank you Johan for so many wonderful footballing memories.
    Never to be forgotten.
  • Options
    Very sad news. I'm shocked. RIP Johan
  • Options
    RIP Johan.
    Thanks for the truly beautiful memories
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The King of modern football....will never forget the way you lit up the 1974 world cup. RIP
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2016

RIP.

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Johann Cruyff RIP

A man who sits on the top table of world great players.

Cancer doesn't need any help to weave its evil, but by the time
    Johann Realized this, the damage had been done and years of heavy Smoking couldn't be reversed. After a Heart bypass in 1991 he became an ardent campaigner against Tobacco.

A player who made watching football a beautiful game with his graceful movement and skill.

The Rudolf Nureyev of football.
  • Options
    RIP

However , taken from a post I made a few months back - could the 'cruyff turn' have actually been used by a Charlton player first?
    http://youtu.be/677_tFITzT4 Take a look at around 1:17
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39713144

Johan Cruyff: Dutch giants Ajax to rename stadium after club legend

Ajax's Amsterdam Arena will be renamed the Johan Cruyff Arena in tribute to the Dutch legend, who died in 2016.

The Dutch forward, widely regarded as one of the world's greatest players, spent 11 years at Ajax during two spells, and also managed the club for three years from 1985.

In his first spell as a player with Ajax he won six domestic league titles and three European Cups.

Cruyff died on 24 March 2016 following a battle with lung cancer.
  • Options
    I just read the Secret Footballers guide to the modern game.. i didn't realise Cruyff was behind the Barcelona team
  • Options
    It always struck me as a bit odd that he's mostly remembered as a remarkable football player , but not that much as the fantastic manager or genius tactician he was. Unique man who derves every bit of tribute by anyone who likes football.