Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD: Correspondence to the club's new email address.....

Comments

• Options
    Copy of my enquiry sent on Tuesday - I guess, in part, it's been answered tonight:

Hello

Given that the uncredited and poorly worded statement released on the club’s website on Tuesday has merely served to further alienate ‘customers’ and exacerbate problems at the club, can we expect the club to reveal the identity of the author?

Given the unmitigated PR disaster that it is, can we expect the imminent resignation of whoever was responsible, and the CEO (if, indeed, it was not one and the same person)?

Thank you in anticipation of your reply

Mark West

• Options

Just sent this:

M. Duchatelet et Mlle. Meire

I thought I would take the opportunity to respond to the Statement (or was it an open letter) to "Fans" that was posted to the club website on Tuesday evening. 

Firstly - I know it was written by one of the two of you, maybe it was a collaborative effort? As a student of English it was an excellent try.

I am sure those "Fans" who work in public and media relations will want to question the wisdom of attacking those who turn up week in week out to witness the demise of a great family club, I will leave that to them.  

Can I just take you up on one aspect. The footnote I believe was a verbatim transcript of Mlle. Meire's Dublin speech, apart from the clarification given to the word "weird" by indicating that it's meaning is "unique". May I point out that will not get you a pass in GCSE English. Never in the annals of the English language has "weird" ever been a synonym for "unique".

Just to help you for the future, here are some true examples of what is meant by "weird". 

All of the examples may have a familiar ring about them :-

1. Selling Yann Kermorgant whom you described as not good enough, (the best player in our team and the best player Chris Powell has worked with) without a suitable replacement. He is then instrumental in gaining promotion for his new team whilst your team flounders. Just to compound things, you then try and get him back on loan when all your strikers were injured or firing blanks. That's a text book definition of "weird" meaning "strange".

2. Without any understanding of the requirements of the Championship, you parachute players you control from inferior leagues around Europe or reserves who have failed to make the grade in these clubs you control. One player - a goalkeeper was so poor, the coaches at Charlton believed that he would not be good enough for the fifth tier in English football let alone the second tier. That M. et Mlle is "weird" meaning "very odd".

3. Having brought in a load of inferior dross which failed to improve the squad or the team, you sack the existing manager/head coach and replace him with somebody known to you. That manager immediately ditches almost all of those inferior players and builds a team based on the one the sacked manager had built. That is really "weird" meaning "very strange".

4. You fail to reappoint the manager/head coach who had done an excellent job with the previous managers squad and replace him with a manager/head coach who's track record was less impressive and had never managed in the English League. He lasts less than half a season. After replacing him and sacking both his replacement and his successor, you appoint the bloke whom you failed to reappoint at the start of the previous season. That's very "weird" meaning "abnormal".

5. Prior to the current manager/head coach, you appointed an "interim" manager/head coach who's past footballing achievement was so miniscule that you could have gone outside the ground with a net and brought in random people with a better track record. But worse than that you then sack the "interim" holder of the position. If he was "interim" why was the replacement not ready to take over? That is another example of "weird" meaning "not normal".

6. Having a fans sofa - trying I assume to enhance the idea that Charlton is a family club with family values yet in the summer, the club publicity team produced a promotional video of a couple simulating sexual intercourse on the pitch. To create that paradox fits the text book definition of "weird" meaning "completely unexpected".

7. Finally you realise that the club is not communicating it's message to "fans" and after a long search, you appoint a professional in public/media relations. Yet within 44 days of her appointment you decide to completely ignore her expertise and publish your "statement" on Tuesday. It is clear that anyone who understands public relations would never have put their name to such an own goal. Irony upon irony she resigns. We have a saying in English, "why have a dog and bark yourself". Never has the epithet "weird" been more aptly demonstrated meaning "unreal".

Our club is a laughing stock in the wider football community but for us "fans" it's not funny at all. This club is in our soul. We will be Charlton until we die. You may not have understood this up until now. Sunday will have changed all that. We want the club to succeed. You have singularly and spectacularly failed in your "weird" experiment that has turned into a nightmare.  

In the immortal words of Oliver Cromwell :

"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

Yours in hope,

David Bingham

Member of a family of Charlton Fans
    Father of Joshua Bingham
    Son of Kenneth Bingham 
    Grandson of Frederick Bingham
    Nephew of Audrey Nash
    Nephew of George Janes
    Second Cousin of Brian and Kevin Lawrence

And their children and grandchildren 

Such a shame that as a student of English you used "it's" when you meant "its". I suspect whoever read it at the club lost all respect for you at that point and filed it in the bin.

Seriously, that's a great missive to send to the club and it gets a 'like' from me. Of course, there's no chance of a reply.
  • Options
    Happy to eat my words on this but the new email address is just going to be another one to add to the list isn't it?
  • Options
    Kudos to Bingaddick.

Despite the surreal times we are living through being CAFC fans,
    Seeing yet another erudite post on the absurd Samuel Becket World that Charlton now occupy in the minds of football fans worldwide, This post has stopped me getting too low, since going down with Man flu after going to a funeral on Sunday.

Bing we must Hope,
    We are not on the Road to Hell on earth.

(No Dorothy Lamour in this movie)

• Options

Just sent this:

I thought I would take the opportunity to respond to the Statement (or was it an open letter) to "Fans" that was posted to the club website on Tuesday evening. 

Firstly - I know it was written by one of the two of you, maybe it was a collaborative effort? As a student of English it was an excellent try.

I am sure those "Fans" who work in public and media relations will want to question the wisdom of attacking those who turn up week in week out to witness the demise of a great family club, I will leave that to them.  

Can I just take you up on one aspect. The footnote I believe was a verbatim transcript of Mlle. Meire's Dublin speech, apart from the clarification given to the word "weird" by indicating that it's meaning is "unique". May I point out that will not get you a pass in GCSE English. Never in the annals of the English language has "weird" ever been a synonym for "unique".

Just to help you for the future, here are some true examples of what is meant by "weird". 

1. Selling Yann Kermorgant whom you described as not good enough, (the best player in our team and the best player Chris Powell has worked with) without a suitable replacement. He is then instrumental in gaining promotion for his new team whilst your team flounders. Just to compound things, you then try and get him back on loan when all your strikers were injured or firing blanks. That's a text book definition of "weird" meaning "strange".

2. Without any understanding of the requirements of the Championship, you parachute players you control from inferior leagues around Europe or reserves who have failed to make the grade in these clubs you control. One player - a goalkeeper was so poor, the coaches at Charlton believed that he would not be good enough for the fifth tier in English football let alone the second tier. That M. et Mlle is "weird" meaning "very odd".

3. Having brought in a load of inferior dross which failed to improve the squad or the team, you sack the existing manager/head coach and replace him with somebody known to you. That manager immediately ditches almost all of those inferior players and builds a team based on the one the sacked manager had built. That is really "weird" meaning "very strange".

4. You fail to reappoint the manager/head coach who had done an excellent job with the previous managers squad and replace him with a manager/head coach who's track record was less impressive and had never managed in the English League. He lasts less than half a season. After replacing him and sacking both his replacement and his successor, you appoint the bloke whom you failed to reappoint at the start of the previous season. That's very "weird" meaning "abnormal".

5. Prior to the current manager/head coach, you appointed an "interim" manager/head coach who's past footballing achievement was so miniscule that you could have gone outside the ground with a net and brought in random people with a better track record. But worse than that you then sack the "interim" holder of the position. If he was "interim" why was the replacement not ready to take over? That is another example of "weird" meaning "not normal".

6. Having a fans sofa - trying I assume to enhance the idea that Charlton is a family club with family values yet in the summer, the club publicity team produced a promotional video of a couple simulating sexual intercourse on the pitch. To create that paradox fits the text book definition of "weird" meaning "completely unexpected".

7. Finally you realise that the club is not communicating it's message to "fans" and after a long search, you appoint a professional in public/media relations. Yet within 44 days of her appointment you decide to completely ignore her expertise and publish your "statement" on Tuesday. It is clear that anyone who understands public relations would never have put their name to such an own goal. Irony upon irony she resigns. We have a saying in English, "why have a dog and bark yourself". Never has the epithet "weird" been more aptly demonstrated meaning "unreal".

Our club is a laughing stock in the wider football community but for us "fans" it's not funny at all. This club is in our soul. We will be Charlton until we die. You may not have understood this up until now. Sunday will have changed all that. We want the club to succeed. You have singularly and spectacularly failed in your "weird" experiment that has turned into a nightmare.  

"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

Yours in hope,

David Bingham

Father of Joshua Bingham
    Son of Kenneth Bingham 
    Nephew of Audrey Nash
    Nephew of George Janes

Such a shame that as a student of English you used "it's" when you meant "its". I suspect whoever read it at the club lost all respect for you at that point and filed it in the bin.

Seriously, that's a great missive to send to the club and it gets a 'like' from me. Of course, there's no chance of a reply.
    Well it just goes to show how important proof reading is when making a bold statement....;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Paddy7 said:

Just sent the attached (quite a long ramble for those who haven't got the time!)

Brilliant! You should have posted that in full for everyone to read. I suggest anyone who has not opened and read the document in Paddy7's post should do so now.
  • Options

Just sent this:

Yours in hope,

David Bingham

Father of Joshua Bingham
    Son of Kenneth Bingham 
    Nephew of Audrey Nash
    Nephew of George Janes

Well it just goes to show how important proof reading is when making a bold statement....;-)
    And who decided that the possessive for of "it" - "its" should not have an apostrophe yet all possessives in English (other than his, hers and theirs), requires one as in Roland's or Katrien's.............:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just sent this:

Yours in hope,

David Bingham

Father of Joshua Bingham
    Son of Kenneth Bingham 
    Nephew of Audrey Nash
    Nephew of George Janes

He did say student not master ; - )
  • Options

Paddy7 said:

Just sent the attached (quite a long ramble for those who haven't got the time!)

Brilliant! You should have posted that in full for everyone to read. I suggest anyone who has not opened and read the document in Paddy7's post should do so now.
    Assume you're looking for a wooooosh victim.
  • Options
    Superb post from Bingaddick. I'll be amazed if anyone receives a personal reply.
  • Options
    There's some great stuff on this thread.

But lets face it, it's not going to end well is it?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Mel Baroni would have set up this e-mail as she would have wanted to try and re-engage with fans. Now she has gone they will revert to the original policy of directing them to trash! I have only written one letter to the club - urging Curbs to play Newton and Robinson as wing backs. It didn't deserve a response, but it got one! and an explanation.
  • Options

Just sent this:

Yours in hope,

David Bingham

Father of Joshua Bingham
    Son of Kenneth Bingham 
    Nephew of Audrey Nash
    Nephew of George Janes

And who decided that the possessive for of "it" - "its" should not have an apostrophe yet all possessives in English (other than his, hers and theirs), requires one as in Roland's or Katrien's.............:-)
    And "yours". It's a general thing with pronouns, personal and impersonal. None of them has an apostrophe in the dative.
  • Options
    I sent an email three days ago about having teams on the screen rather than live feed. Just got a reply - they are trialling a new system that will do exactly that. Can't fault the efficiency of the comms team in this case especially if they have also been dealing with the Mel Baroni resignation.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I asked if I could be sent a ST application form, just got this reply.

Dear Mr

Thank you for your email. Season ticket brochures have been posted all season ticket holders and should arrive by early next week.

Regards

Mandy Anderson-Myers

They seemed to have learnt from last years debacle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nadou said:

I sent an email three days ago about having teams on the screen rather than live feed. Just got a reply - they are trialling a new system that will do exactly that. Can't fault the efficiency of the comms team in this case especially if they have also been dealing with the Mel Baroni resignation.

If you look at the minutes from the fan's forum in October 2015 they said exactly the same thing:

PC has had a lot of feedback. Better quality,main gripe is that the team lineups are missed. TK said theyjust waiting for a
    new piece of software. PC thought that there was no need to show game on the screen when it's on the pitch. TK
    said that people like to see the game on the screen but CL said that nobody now looks at the screen..... CP suggested
    lineups be showed and then replays when there is a significant moment. KM has also had complaints about lineups, working on it. AC said that font size is very small and TK said they are onto it
  • Options
    Off_it said:

There's some great stuff on this thread.

But lets face it, it's not going to end well is it?

No.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

I just sent the following. I'm not expecting any substantive response, but good to get it off my chest.

----------

I note M. Duchatelet's rant at Charlton fans on the club website last night. I am not surprised by the clumsy and mis-directed nature of what he said because that has been the hallmark of all club communications during his tenure, but the timing of his message was strange bearing in mind the equally mis-guided but conciliatory tone of the club statement just two days earlier. I surmise that the new Head of Communications was involved in the first statement but not the second?

The time for pleasantries is past. Let us not mince words. Charlton Athletic, a club that within the last 10 years was widely admired has become a shambles; a laughing stock in the footballing world. From the disastrous performances on the pitch to the inept management off it. I do not know to what extent that is attributable to M. Duchatelet's appointment of an incompetent Chief executive and a succession of inadequate head coaches, or his insistence on a rigid application of his own deeply flawed philosophies. Probably a combination of these. Either way, they are his responsibility, and he must take that responsibilty. Ms Meire once advised us that M. Duchatelet “does not do failure”. Clearly, that is no longer true.

Charlton Athletic, for all of us fans, is part of our lives, of our family history, of our community. We love the club and it hurts us more than we can say to be forced into fighting against it. But he are destroying the very soul of that we hold most dear. If M. Duchatelet had done any research at all into the proud history of Charlton Athletic he will have gathered that Charlton fans are amongst the most steadfast, loyal and fair minded anywhere in the world. We are also talented and determined. We will not meekly stand aside and allow him and his Chief executive to bring our proud club to ruin. The fans do not want the club to fail, in the long term, but it is remarkable and sad that many fans would positively welcome relegation if that meant an end to M. Duchatelet's ownership of the club.

He can be deriving no pleasure from his ownership or stewardship of the club. Peter Varney has approached the club at least twice to seek discussions about a takeover and M. Duchatelet has admitted that such approaches are not uncommon. We call upon M. Duchatelet to give up this failed experiment in football economics, sell up and go.

With that in mind:

1. Can the club confirm that this statement was indeed written solely by M. Duchatelet, or was it drafted and/or amended by Ms mere before publication?

2. What does M. Duchatelet make of the unpalatable truth that fans would welcome relegation if it meant the end of his disastrous regime?

3. Is it true that M. Duchatelet receives regular approaches to buy the club and, if so, why this appears to have been missed or forgotten by him in constructing his statement?

Alan Davis

If you really are Alan Davis can you go into Jonathan Creek mode and make Roland and Katrien disappear?
  • Options

Nadou said:

If you look at the minutes from the fan's forum in October 2015 they said exactly the same thing:

PC has had a lot of feedback. Better quality,main gripe is that the team lineups are missed. TK said theyjust waiting for a
    new piece of software. PC thought that there was no need to show game on the screen when it's on the pitch. TK
    said that people like to see the game on the screen but CL said that nobody now looks at the screen..... CP suggested
    lineups be showed and then replays when there is a significant moment. KM has also had complaints about lineups, working on it. AC said that font size is very small and TK said they are onto it
    They say they are trialling it later this season and introducing it full time next season. Whatever, I got a reply when a lot of people were saying nobody would ever hear back.
  • Options

Nadou said:

So CL = Charlton Life, CP = Chris Powell, AC = Alan Curbishley, KM = Pinocchio... struggling with the rest of the people in that meeting.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Dear Mr

Thank you for your email. Season ticket brochures have been posted all season ticket holders and should arrive by early next week.

Regards

Mandy Anderson-Myers

I'd wait to see if they arrive ok before popping the champagne :wink:
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Dansk_Red said:

Dear Mr

Regards

Mandy Anderson-Myers

I'd wait to see if they arrive ok before popping the champagne Diazepam :wink:
  • Options

Nadou said:

So CL = Charlton Life, CP = Chris Powell, AC = Alan Curbishley, KM = Pinocchio... struggling with the rest of the people in that meeting.
    CL Christine Lawrie, CP Craig Parrett, AC Alex Clarke - not heard of any of them except Squirrel Face - I only know cause I stumbled on the minutes the other day while I was looking for something else
  • Options
    mjpcafc said:

This is what I sent over to that email address. I'm not expecting a customised response but in lieu of my personal stance of continuing to boycott attending matches (I sincerely applaud those of you which continue to protest at the games, as I initially did myself) I thought the least I could do was to add to the mounting critical emails I am sure the club will receive.

Dear CAFC,

Firstly, thank you for providing this contact address for fans to contact the club. Communication is obviously a two-way process and so I look forward to hearing back from you promptly.

I have been a fan of the club since a young child and as my family originates from SE London, it really is a hereditary tradition that my family supports the club.

I am somewhat concerned by the semi-coherent statement released on the official site:

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/statement-3009419.aspx

I already feel disenfranchised as a fan/stakeholder and have stopped attending games as a result (I'm not a season ticket holder, so that is a loss in your revenue). I have a few questions I would appreciate the answers to:

> Please can you confirm that this is an official statement from the board and/or owners?
    > Is the club seriously not aware of the Peter Varney backed consortium who are interested in buying the club?
    > What fans/fan groups were consulted with recently?

I understand that at a purely business level, I am indeed a customer. I pay money and you provide an entertainment service. However, clearly football in the UK is linked to communities and families in a way like no other institution can compare to.

Were I to have the opportunity, I would literally beg the owners to find a way to sell the club, because the relationship with the fans has clearly reached a point of irreparable damage, regardless of the league we find ourselves playing in next season.

Response (received on the 17th March):

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We understand your concerns and we are taking all comments on board.

With regards to the points raised in your email we will try and address these and your concerns as much as possible.
    · Please can you confirm that this is an official statement from the board and/or owners?

o This was an official statement from senior executives at the club, including Mr Duchâtelet. While he knows fans care deeply about the club, for right or wrong he wanted to publicly address his concerns about those who he perceives want the club to lose matches.

· Is the club seriously not aware of the Peter Varney backed consortium who are interested in buying the club?

o The club was aware that Peter Varney had approached us in relation to a consortium. On August 19th 2015 he wrote to us saying: “I have an interesting investment proposal to discuss with you in relation to Charlton Athletic.” This is however a very different message than “I have a buyer for your club”. The club agreed then that there was not a need for anybody else to provide additional financial investment. On Jan 6th 2016 it became clear what Mr Varney meant when he wrote: “I met in London today with the overseas investor interested in acquiring Charlton Athletic FC.” All that said, currently, Mr Duchâtelet has no intention of selling the club.

o It may be useful us providing background on the sales process and how it relates to Charlton (apologies if this is something you have knowledge of). The owner gets many enquiries regarding the sale of the club, however they are nearly all from middlemen/brokers who want to earn a commission on the sale transaction. The brokers will ask for a mandate to sell the club and then they will start to search for buyers. There are exceptions of course when they have an “interested party” already. Mr Duchatelet’s business has extensive experience of acquiring and selling firms, so could can handle this type of transaction if it is decided to do so. Since a serious buyer will want to have lots of representation and warranties, this means that the financials need to be 100% correct, available and recently audited. A data room needs to be organised with all contracts for example. Terms and conditions need to be negotiated as well as representations and warranties. This process can easily take up over six months of work. In such a case, the sale would start with a structured approach whereby parties which expressed interest in the past would be contacted, and possibly an investment bank or other specialised M&A organisation might be involved in the process.

What fans/fan groups were consulted with recently?
    o All of the Senior Management Team attend the quarterly Fans’ Forum and several of them also attend the Target 20,000 meetings (there have been four meetings since the group started in December). The Senior Management team also met with club partners this week, who are nearly all Charlton fans. During his visit in February, Mr Duchâtelet met a similar group of fans who have an excellent knowledge of the club. There was a full exchange of views on issues like recruitment, communication, supporter relations, finance and the importance of the club to community.

At the club we do understand the emotional and historical connection of Charlton Athletic to the community and families like yours. We also know that we have a job to do to win back the trust of many fans, but we will endeavour to do that.

Best regards