Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2016
    30,000 on just one terrace..the East terrace..The Valley!! unbelievable!! Now RD/KM what you got to say about that....twunts!!
  • Options
    Superb photos. 2 questions.

1 Is that photo of Selhurst Park really early 70's. A small terrace and grass, behind the goal ?
    I went to Palace v Charlton September 1974 & there was a large terrace behind both goals.

2 Does The Queen think England is sparsley populated ? There is no one on that tube !
  • Options

30,000 on just one terrace..the East terrace..The Valley!! unbelievable!! Now RD/KM what you got to say about that....twunts!!

30000 ? I remember reading it was 45000
  • Options

1 Is that photo of Selhurst Park really early 70's. A small terrace and grass, behind the goal ?
    I went to Palace v Charlton September 1974 & there was a large terrace behind both goals.

2 Does The Queen think England is sparsley populated ? There is no one on that tube !

In 68/69 it was grass & terracing definitely cause in the FA Cup replay it was pissing down & a sea of mud, every crowd surge people were slipping over :-) Happy days lol
  • Options

30000 ? I remember reading it was 45000
    Might have been when the capacity was restricted to 66k. Think at that time we had the worst (best) ratio of terracing/seats 63500 /2500. I agree - when when think that the Kop held 27k our East Stand dwarfed it. Mind you our Open end was enormous too.
  • Options

In 68/69 it was grass & terracing definitely cause in the FA Cup replay it was pissing down & a sea of mud, every crowd surge people were slipping over :-) Happy days lol
    Think I was at the same game. We filled the White Horse Lane end and it was a fair size.
  • Options

My dad was a Palace supporter and carted me off there at some point around 1966 for a match. I remember walking through mud. I didn't return to Selhurst until some time in the 80's.

• Options
    edited March 2016

Was there that night traffic was horrendous going up Sydenham Hill. Missed the opening goal as a result, second one made up for it though, howitzer from Treacle from about 25 yards just under the bar. Definitely grass / mud terracing, at what is now the Sainsbury's End. It was a poxy old third division south ground and has always been a sh*thole.

04 Jan 1969 Charlton Athletic v Crystal Palace D 0-0 FA Cup 3rd Rnd
    08 Jan 1969 Crystal Palace v Charlton Athletic L 0-2 FA Cup 3rd Rnd Replay

Great photos MOG btw, very nostalgic.
  • Options
    Some good pics of London grounds in the Londonist including some of the Valley

http://londonist.com/london/art-and-photography/london-s-football-grounds-through-the-years?rel=handpicked

Hadn't seen this one before. Tagged as "Spotter, watching out for German air raids, during a Charlton Athletic vs Arsenal match at The Valley, 1940" though surely competitive football had stopped by then.

• Options
    Jints said:

Some good pics of London grounds in the Londonist including some of the Valley

http://londonist.com/london/art-and-photography/london-s-football-grounds-through-the-years?rel=handpicked

Hadn't seen this one before. Tagged as "Spotter, watching out for German air raids, during a Charlton Athletic vs Arsenal match at The Valley, 1940" though surely competitive football had stopped by then.

Either that or Dave Basset era Wimbledon were in town..