Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Laurence Bloom on his way to Nott' Forrest (now Millwall)

Comments

• Options
    Who is/was the head of fitness at the academy?
  • Options
    In fairness I looked through many threads before committing to that comment :wink:

Genuinely I looked back over the U21's games and they seemed to certainly feel like they have less over the last 2 seasons.

I could be wrong but it's how I saw it from what I could find.
  • Options

One of the many questions I think we should expect an answer to is

- what is the budget for fitness and medical staff this season and what was it in 2013 -14, and in 2012-13?
    - what has been the expenditure on external medical costs (operations and consultations) in that period
    - who have been the senior permanent staff on the payroll for fitness and medical in the period under review?

Fat chance of getting an answer? Well hang on, we are customers, and we have a right to know before we buy, that the goods are fit for purpose. For example when you get on a plane, you believe the pilot has passed all appropriate medical checks.

And what exactly would you do with this data / information if you had it? It's meaningless out of context and without a comparison across the league. Even then it proves very little as health and fitness are very individual things. Which clubs publish any of this?

Root cause of results could be linked to poor fitness training and rehabilitation but not proven. I'd suggest you would need former players to observe that this aspect of the club is in some way inferior. I've not seen that stated.

The analogy to a pilot is also flawed - do you request this before you buy a flight or holiday?

We presumably do a medical of all,signings for insurance purposes if nothing else.

So much in football is subjective. It's not helpful to dwell on this. Staff move for all variety of reasons even from successful teams. The most valid observation is simply it's a longer term staff member choosing to go and that suggests general dissatisfaction with CAFC as an employer but not necessarily anything more sinister.

Just possible a change in this area might have a positive change with fresh eyes / different approach? Too late for this season of course.
  • Options
    Would be good if we could get a journo to do an interview with LB, it would be good to hear the truth as to what's really going on.
  • Options

One of the many questions I think we should expect an answer to is

- what is the budget for fitness and medical staff this season and what was it in 2013 -14, and in 2012-13?
    - what has been the expenditure on external medical costs (operations and consultations) in that period
    - who have been the senior permanent staff on the payroll for fitness and medical in the period under review?

Fat chance of getting an answer? Well hang on, we are customers, and we have a right to know before we buy, that the goods are fit for purpose. For example when you get on a plane, you believe the pilot has passed all appropriate medical checks.

And what exactly would you do with this data / information if you had it? It's meaningless out of context and without a comparison across the league. Even then it proves very little as health and fitness are very individual things. Which clubs publish any of this?

Root cause of results could be linked to poor fitness training and rehabilitation but not proven. I'd suggest you would need former players to observe that this aspect of the club is in some way inferior. I've not seen that stated.

The analogy to a pilot is also flawed - do you request this before you buy a flight or holiday?

We presumably do a medical of all,signings for insurance purposes if nothing else.

So much in football is subjective. It's not helpful to dwell on this. Staff move for all variety of reasons even from successful teams. The most valid observation is simply it's a longer term staff member choosing to go and that suggests general dissatisfaction with CAFC as an employer but not necessarily anything more sinister.

Just possible a change in this area might have a positive change with fresh eyes / different approach? Too late for this season of course.
    What would I do with it? It depends on what the figures are, doesn't it?

If they show a significant decrease compared to the previous regime's figure, then I would ask Mr Duchatelet why it has been decreased. And then whether he does not see a connection between this decrease and the injuries, the patent fitness issues of the current squad, and the apparent dissarray in dealing with injury issues, particularly in Vetokele's case. If there is no decrease in the budget, then we might look at changes in personnel for an explanation.

Of course the views of former players, and certainly Mr Bloom himself would be useful. Although in these cases, their views would still be subjective. Figures are figures.

I'm not 'dwelling' on the departure of Mr Bloom. I don't know anything about him. I'm dwelling on the apparently parlous state of our medical and fitness regime. And I dwell on it because we have been here, before, round about 2002. Fans continuously raised concerns about the medical side for a year, but it was only when Parker took two months to recover from a pre-season knock that the Board took decisive action. Heaven knows how or why fans could see the problem before the Board did, but that seems to have been the case. And that was when we were a properly managed club.

The pilot thing was meant to be a joke, to make a point. I'd have thought you'd have worked that out, because it was preceded by another joke, that we are customers.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    You're like a dog with a bone on the medical / fitness side of things at the club @PragueAddick and you have every right to be. Circumstantially and from what I heard on the grapevine the other week, it stinks :wink:
  • Options
    Bellamy on Sky Sunday discussing Sturridge repeat injuries, said, if he keeps coming back with another injury, it means he was not fit to start with and the fitness coach should look closer at what he does to find out why. It is the responsibility of the fitness coach to make sure all players are fit to resume after an injury
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Bellamy on Sky Sunday discussing Sturridge repeat injuries, said, if he keeps coming back with another injury, it means he was not fit to start with and the fitness coach should look closer at what he does to find out why. It is the responsibility of the fitness coach to make sure all players are fit to resume after an injury

Exactly.

Of course all clubs have injuries, and some just come together by coincidence however, the charge sheet is:

- Vetokele; apparently played when suffering from an achilles injury, then pushed back in at beginning of season; alleged arguments within staff about whether fit enough, when apparent to everyone watching that he was a stone overweight, whatever else
    - Kashi; uncertain diagnosis, uncertain treatment plan (although at least an attempt to explain it to us in his case)
    - Bauer; injured in training
    - Lookman; pulls up in first half, off the ball. An 18 year old. It happens I suppose
    - Cousins; a naturally fit player, yet in out, in out in last thee months. Latest injury the result of being rushed back?
    - Sanogo; arrives and immediately picks up a back injury

But I won't include:
    - both Ba and Watt never look(ed) fit, but that may be their fault
    - similarly Diarra and Jackson may just be more injury prone because of their age

Fair/unfair? Any I missed?
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Correct but a) Bellamy is a bellend and b) the coach can overrule this, the medical fitness team can advise thy don't play him when he's not fully fit but can't stop him from being picked unless he's totally out of action. Wenger often does this with players (most high profile case I've heard, although Sir Alex was on the same lines) brings them back at 80-90% and they aggrevate or work too hard on the training field during the week before hitting fitness and are out for a much longer period.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

ross1 said:

Exactly.

Of course all clubs have injuries, and some just come together by coincidence however, the charge sheet is:

- Vetokele; apparently played when suffering from an achilles injury, then pushed back in at beginning of season; alleged arguments within staff about whether fit enough, when apparent to everyone watching that he was a stone overweight, whatever else
    - Kashi; uncertain diagnosis, uncertain treatment plan (although at least an attempt to explain it to us in his case)
    - Lookman; pulls up in first half, off the ball. An 18 year old. It happens I suppose
    - Cousins; a naturally fit player, yet in out, in out in last thee months. Latest injury the result of being rushed back?

But I won't include:
    - similarly Diarra and Jackson may just be more injury prone because of their age

Cousins being deemed fit to play when he had been ill the preceding week. End result was him passing out after 45 mins on the pitch.
  • Options

ross1 said:

Exactly.

But I won't include:

PA I don't disagree with any of the stuff that you've said, but LB is not a newbie, and we haven't had this amount of injury/ fitness problems before at the same time ( that I can remember) so what's changed ,or is stuff getting lost in translation, I just want to know the truth.
  • Options
    Is that the going rate?? I know from some of the previous salaries that have been mentioned on here that the Club pays very badly but this seems low to me.
  • Options
    That's a junior's salary for any job in London...
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Is that the going rate?? I know from some of the previous salaries that have been mentioned on here that the Club pays very badly but this seems low to me.

for someone with a degree and relevant experience too.

It's a very hard field to get into though with lots of sports science grads eager to get a role to boost their CV
  • Options
    That salary is pretty pathetic, but as you say there are lots of people after such a role, and having a professional football club on your CV will be a big benefit for future employment
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Got very little knowledge of that area, but a quick google search shows a 'Head of Football Science and Medicine' role at Hibernian that was being advertised at £48,000-£57,000 a year. Imagine the fact that the CAFC one is an academy role means that it makes sense it'd be a fair bit less than the Hibs one.

http://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Hibernian-Football-Club/jobs/Head-Football-Science-Medicine-e30464d71e7674af?q=Sports+Science

Anyway, we've had managers earning less than that under Duchatelet, so nothing should be that surprising.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Don't forget the benefits, probably they can see the first team for free if not away with youth team. Hang on, is that a benefit?
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

Got very little knowledge of that area, but a quick google search shows a 'Head of Football Science and Medicine' role at Hibernian that was being advertised at £48,000-£57,000 a year. Imagine the fact that the CAFC one is an academy role means that it makes sense it'd be a fair bit less than the Hibs one.

http://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Hibernian-Football-Club/jobs/Head-Football-Science-Medicine-e30464d71e7674af?q=Sports+Science

Anyway, we've had managers earning less than that under Duchatelet, so nothing should be that surprising.

@rob62 Do you mean first team managers (coaches) earning less than £48 to £57k or less than £25k

Or other managers, non-football, earning less than £25 or £48 to £57k?
  • Options
    Didn't someone post on here that Fraeye was on £30k pa?
  • Options

I heard it was 44

• Options

Don't forget the free laundry basket!
  • Options
    I remember thinking during pre season that something was not right with the fitness levels and dont think it has improved.

At the time it appeared hardly any players played 90 minutes more than once, I have not checked so may be wrong.
  • Options
    Now working for Millwall?
  • Options
    Looked like it from a pic out up by Cawley
  • Options
    Why I left Charlton

"“I’d seen a lot of changes in my time – Powelly going was one of them,” he said. “There were a lot of different coaches coming in and out. I felt I needed a fresh challenge and something with a bit more stability – working with a manager and a group of players for a longer period of time."

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/26370/millwall-head-performance-laurence-bloom-chose-quit-charlton-athletic/
  • Options

Why I left Charlton

"“I’d seen a lot of changes in my time – Powelly going was one of them,” he said. “There were a lot of different coaches coming in and out. I felt I needed a fresh challenge and something with a bit more stability – working with a manager and a group of players for a longer period of time."

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/26370/millwall-head-performance-laurence-bloom-chose-quit-charlton-athletic/

“Powelly is a true gentleman, it was like working with your family. That first season was remarkable really, we won the league with over 100 points."