Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A simplistic version of RD's strategy

edited February 2016 in General Charlton
I'm spending £12M on the Academy. So in order to pay for this investment I will need to put as many Academy players into the first team that I can, in order to sell them & recover my outlay.

Any experienced manager/coach will not go along with this. So I need to appoint any "coach" that has recent experience with coaching youth teams and will play them, regardless of results, as winning first team matches is secondary.

This will be supplemented by cheap foreign imports and loanees to make up the numbers.

It really is far more simplistic than we've been thinking and scratching our heads at.

It's the same as when the Academy play and we quite rightly say, the results are secondary at that age, to the development of the players.

Basically, he wants to play the Academy in the first team, but on a similar basis, without caring about the results of the games.

He cannot/will not change his strategy, because this is the only reason he bought Charlton.

Comments

• Options
    Incredibly accurate @Covered End
  • Options
    Ah, but success is defined by being able to sell one of the girls to Broadway, not by putting on a good show.
  • Options
    @Covered End perfect summary. We've been assuming there's a genius formula so smart we couldn't work it out.
    It's really just ignorant crass stupidity.
  • Options
    Not backing him up here, but if results don't matter in Roland's world, why have we sacked 4 managers for poor results?
  • Options

Not backing him up here, but if results don't matter in Roland's world, why have we sacked 4 managers for poor results?

Managers are interchangeable - I doubt any of them have any meaningful input beyond running training
  • Options
    This is it even simpler

• Options
    The strategy is to make us the new leyton orient with a good academy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bit like Crewe really
  • Options
    My reading of the strategy was that it was to make the club financially independent of owners and directors, by minimising outlay to agents, avoiding wherever possible buying players from divisional rivals ("Why financially strengthen your opponents?" is a Roland quote from a while back), using a network of clubs to give first team experience to academy players, and eventually selling them on.

I'm sure that's just what football fans have been crying out for, the excitement of seeing the club break even...
  • Options
    Given that we can't train, drill and keep fit a first team, who does this unique "no football people in a football club" model work in developing youth then?

No surprise that the yuuff are a shadow this season of last season throughout the academy.

Top bosses get a club playing in the style of the first team from u9s upwards.

For obvious reasons, I don't see how we can compete at youth level with the Staprix model, no matter the wedge they through at it.
  • Options
    Mackle said:

My reading of the strategy was that it was to make the club financially independent of owners and directors, by minimising outlay to agents, avoiding wherever possible buying players from divisional rivals ("Why financially strengthen your opponents?" is a Roland quote from a while back), using a network of clubs to give first team experience to academy players, and eventually selling them on.

I'm sure that's just what football fans have been crying out for, the excitement of seeing the club break even...

Quite right. This is how he supplements the Academy players.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Roland has said, I have heard him say it, that winning games isn't that important to him.

This does not means he wants to lose. It just means what he says, that winning isn't that important.

The main importance is putting academy players and others players that he thinks he can make a profit on, in the shop window.

He can't really put them in the shop window in the U21's, unless like Gomez they don't even need to be displayed in the shop window.

A classic example of RD's plan is Lookman.

If we had a decent squad Lookman would probably not have played for the first team.

Because we do not have a decent squad, Lookman has played and has a decent price tag on him.

In RD's world, his plan is working, up to a point.
  • Options
    Mackle said:

We are in the black
    Say we are in the black

We've got more money than you
    We've got more money than you

What's it like to have a loss
    What's it like to have a loss

• Options
    He won't tolerate any coach who puts the objective of getting results above the plan to chuck as many kids as possible into the deep end. That's exactly what he told the SLP a few days ago. He does not want a normal head coach or manager, who assumes his job is to pick a strong team and thus to bring success on the pitch. Therefore, he will knowingly recruit mediocrity.

It's crazy. I just can't believe it, but it's the real Charlton Athletic, today. Mind-boggling.