Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stoke City- Seen it all before

2»

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:

As much as Stoke will lose a lot of players they will still have massive windfalls for a few years that should enable them to get promoted again. Sunderland have been a joke for a while whereas Stoke seems relatively sensibly run so whilst they are not a "Big" team they should have enough.

I think they'll push us hard for the Championship title next season

Well we need to get revenge on them and West Brom for stealing the auto spots in 2008

Although we were handicapped by having Pardew as Manager
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Seems that without huge financial outlay that seven to ten years is the maximum stay for any side in the Premier League, then changes to personnel and the ethos of the club will have changed so much that they will have completely lost what got them promoted in the first place.

Adrian Chiles made a fair point on the radio last night, that after a while the excitement of being in the PL starts to wear off too. Season after season of fighting to get to 40 points, keeping it tight to grind out draws or 1-0 wins.

After a few years, many fans and owners get bored of the Pulis/Allardyce style and crave more exciting football. And that's where it often starts to go wrong...
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

As much as Stoke will lose a lot of players they will still have massive windfalls for a few years that should enable them to get promoted again. Sunderland have been a joke for a while whereas Stoke seems relatively sensibly run so whilst they are not a "Big" team they should have enough.

I think they'll push us hard for the Championship title next season

They could get Pardew in and he could spunk all their "windfall" in a couple of months
  • Options
    Interestingly as I doubt Boro are gonna win play offs none of last seasons relegated teams went straight back up and I can see the exact same thing happening next season
  • Options
    edited May 2018

cfgs said:

Seems that without huge financial outlay that seven to ten years is the maximum stay for any side in the Premier League, then changes to personnel and the ethos of the club will have changed so much that they will have completely lost what got them promoted in the first place.

Adrian Chiles made a fair point on the radio last night, that after a while the excitement of being in the PL starts to wear off too. Season after season of fighting to get to 40 points, keeping it tight to grind out draws or 1-0 wins.

After a few years, many fans and owners get bored of the Pulis/Allardyce style and crave more exciting football. And that's where it often starts to go wrong...
    Was saying the exact same thing to a mate last night. Apart from the Leicester story, most teams just fight it out for between 9th-17th now. There is the odd surprise, like Burnley this season, but the top 6 are clear and Everton are just behind. Even with a crap start they have managed a top half finish.

It's the same in most top European leagues, except I would suggest we are the only ones with a clear top 6 rather than just 3/4.

Some clubs are just being run sensibly, but I don't get others, like Watford who achieve what they set out to do and then sack their manager.
  • Options
    stoke and swansea, two sides who came up playing a specific brand of football and established themselves playing that style of football. Bit of a shame that they lost their way in that respect and have gone down, as i really think once a team has established themselves and gone down, their wage bill etc is so high its very difficult for them to bounce back up.
  • Options

stoke and swansea, two sides who came up playing a specific brand of football and established themselves playing that style of football. Bit of a shame that they lost their way in that respect and have gone down, as i really think once a team has established themselves and gone down, their wage bill etc is so high its very difficult for them to bounce back up.

All teams have that problem. Lets face it, Charlton were never quite the same again when the players who got us promoted retired or were moved on, even under Curbishley.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Reading the piece on BBC sport today about Charlie Allen saying 5 or so players have been hiding and taking the piss this season. He should name them. He’s a decent pro and along with the likes of Shawcross, Butland and Xhakiri have probably tried their best. The money footballers earn these days, if they have 5 players who have taken the piss, they should be outted.

These players are just going to fade out into the background without any accountability, whereas the fans are the ones who will have to help them rebuild

For me when clubs have pisstakers on their books there should be some shaming

Charlie Adam or Joe Allen?