Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Australian Open 2016

Apologies for the late kick off.

OK. So I've had a few days off work and have been sitting up in the early hours watching a stream of the Aussie open. I'm gong one step further tonight. Setting my alarm for 3am, to watch Andy Murray v Sam Groth. I have a bottle of Prosecco in the fridge and as I don't have to get up in the morning may have a glass. Or drink the bottle. So far seen Murray destroy a rather cocky Alexander Zverev, who in his bright coloured shirt and apparent surprise at having arse kicked probably counts as having "personality", and some of the Nadal match, which just made me a bit sad, though I like Verdasco having seen him lose on the outer courts at Wimbledon 3 years ago. Djokovic continues to roll over all comers, though young Frenchman Halys gives some indication of being a contender in the future. Mostly what I take away is that all and any of these players are almost superhumanly good. And I always remember a good amateur footballer telling me about his experience of playing a fourth division "journeyman", in reply to my comment that he was probably not up to much. "No. It was incredible. I couldn't even get close to him".

Comments

• Options
    It's a shame Nudger and Feds aren't what they used to be for whatever reason, with those two plus Djok at their peak, and a genuine British talent to follow in Murray, it was a great time to be a tennis fan.

Djok is still a huge talent but he lacks a genuine rival right now. Feds can still produce the odd moment of magic and you sense Murray still has it in him to beat Novak, but it'll stretch him his limits if he ever does it at a Slam.

That said, the general standard of mens tennis is still very high, but it was more competitive at the very top of the game - i.e. the last 4 of Grand Slams, a few years ago.
  • Options
    Federer was looking very beatable a couple of years ago, but he looks a beast in the last 12 months. I was thinking how tennis champs come in packs. Maybe it'll take the next generation to move on now.
  • Options
    Feds has looked good, Murray has looked god, but they still both don't seem to be able worry Novak when it comes to Grand Slam finals though, He can't keep it up forever though so maybe one of them can find a way past him this time. I;ll be watching Andy tonight, a more civilized 8 pm my time though.