Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton CEO Katrien Meire reveals the club are already lining up January transfer deals

The Valley chief executive also discusses the club's tendency to recruit player's from abroad.

Link to the exclusive interview here:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/13802697.Charlton_CEO__We___re_already_lining_up_January_transfer_deals/

Comments

• Options
    transfer targets that we won't sign that is
  • Options
    Talk is cheap
  • Options
    yes we have to temper that with the more candid/unguarded interview she gave the belgian journalist
  • Options
    Just like the one maybe two players we were going to bring in before the window shut last month. If we are already over budget then players will leave before we bring them in. Or we could let them go with no replacement like Harriott. If we do have the third lowest budget in the Championship then we have to over achieve big time or we will forever produce losses and at best be midtable.
  • Options
    The club's transfer policies are hard to understand. Last January we brought in Watt, Markovic and the Lepointless, but then after the window closed we signed the free agents Diarra, Johnson and Eagles and suddenly the squad looked much stronger. The second half of last season our squad was larger than our current squad, I'm not sure how the wage bill compares
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Easy to talk about making signings when you're three months away from a transfer window
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    She likes the media. Can we get her on to that well known show to do a lie detector test? He's coming for you...

• Options
    Too little, too late Katrien,
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    January, i'm sick and tired you keep hanging on me,
    I can tell by your eyes, your telling me lies.
    no show, no show.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    It looks to me as if the new guy at the News Shopper has done one interview and is making it into a number of stories spread over several days, which is entirely reasonable but it may give readers the impression that KM is doing a round of interviews when that is not the case. As with the Vetokele one, she's answering questions so you have to read what she says in that context rather than as if she is choosing to comment on particular topics.

That said, the idea that all seven summer signings being foreign is a "coincidence" made me laugh.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    The Addicks have enjoyed some productive transfer windows in the last few years

Le Point anyone?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

“Our future lies in a mix of really good academy players, experienced Championship players and guys from abroad, that will help balance the books and hopefully enjoy success.”

@NewsShopperSport

Don't suppose our wonderful Chief Executive Officer gave any indication of what she classes as "success"?

Not going to happen because that would let us know our target and then we (and the outside world) could see if success has been achieved or not.

Safer to be unaccountable - pity - she goes down in my estimation with each announcement lately.
  • Options

Le Point anyone?

Is having a great time at his new club and performing accordingly.
    https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nl/nieuws/lees/2015-10-02/christophe-lepoint-doet-het-erg-goed-met-zulte-waregem
  • Options
    If you have identified the need Km then act now in the loan window, rather than waiting till it is all to late.
  • Options
    skywalker said:

Le Point anyone?

Is having a great time at his new club and performing accordingly.
    https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nl/nieuws/lees/2015-10-02/christophe-lepoint-doet-het-erg-goed-met-zulte-waregem
    "Lepoint is Fellaini of the Jupiler Pro League"
    Perhaps he's wearing a wig now!

It does suggest though that players can struggle to adapt to an overseas league, while Lepoint was useless for us, his career record suggests he's better than we saw.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

stonemuse said:

MrLargo said:

“Our future lies in a mix of really good academy players, experienced Championship players and guys from abroad, that will help balance the books and hopefully enjoy success.”

@NewsShopperSport

Don't suppose our wonderful Chief Executive Officer gave any indication of what she classes as "success"?

Not going to happen because that would let us know our target and then we (and the outside world) could see if success has been achieved or not.

Safer to be unaccountable - pity - she goes down in my estimation with each announcement lately.
    Our future lies with her sacking and a new owner coming forward. Until then treading water with breaking even on the back of player manoeuvring as success.
    I wouldn't go that far - I am still ok (if confused to an extent) with our owner - it is the actions of our CEO that disappoint me lately.
  • Options
    Why would she even say that?
    Now is not the time Katrien.
    Basically saying "we know areas of our squad are crap and we are looking to address that in January."
    What kind of message does that send out to the players we already have?
    You had the chance to address it in the Summer but chose not to,I'm guessing because you thought we were strong enough.

So In under 2 months you're already writing them off. Give them some bloody support. Its your bed.
  • Options
    All clubs will be working on January deals - How good ours are or whether they get any across the line is key and we can't answer those questions.
  • Options
    Having been critical of her recently (and before) I have to say that there really isn't much more she can say in this instance.

She has been asked about the January transfer window in October which is hard enough. She can't list the players will are considering because that is giving the game away. So they are general and understandably vague answers.

It could be that she isn't even sure what the transfer budget is going to be or, considering all the injuries, what areas need strengthening.

I agree that having a clearer definition of "success" or progress would be very useful but that was really done to the interviewer to ask that question.

However, the situation has in part been created by the very random and guarded communication that has occurred before. People pick over the rare statements in detail and find it hard to believe her.

If the communication was more pro-active with the agenda set by KM via club sources that might not be the case.

The good new is that KM is speaking to the NS and the NS is asking questions. This new reporter seems a lot better than the old bloke : - )

• Options
    Can't wait for that 'Championship Experience', the one in which we disposed any we had. Our current transfer malarky is a mess, if they're not injury prone/attitude problems (hence the cheap price/available to us not a better team) then they are unadapted to this league and a simple dose of common sense tells you that will take time, time in which we don't have due to the smallest squad possible with some youngsters who are far from ready chucked in.

She needs to stop beating around the bush, tell the cold hard truth rather than saying we need this but can't always get what you want. Bit like telling your kid at Christmas you know he needs an iPad to play his favourite game, but you can't always get what you want... then importing a cheap Chinese import that lasts a few weeks and fails to flatter.