Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic captain Johnnie Jackson reveals his fear after making scoring return

edited October 2015 in General Charlton
http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=3859

Johnnie Jackson admitted he had doubts about whether he would ever be the man of the moment again for Charlton after he helped spark a late fightback in Sunday’s 2-2 draw with Fulham.
The Addicks’ club captain came off the bench with 10 minutes to go and scored with his first touch seconds later - heading into the net - before Jordan Cousins levelled just before full time.
And Jackson, who has seen his game time limited by niggling knocks and not being selected by Charlton head coach Guy Luzon, said: “I’ve had my moments [at the club] but I probably started to think there might not be anymore - you can’t help but think that way when you’re not involved.
“All I’ve done is shown him [Luzon] I’m ready to play my part. Whether or not he had reservations before today then maybe he won’t after and he’ll know I’m there willing and ready if I’m needed.
“I was a bit emotional when I scored - it was a bit of an outpouring. There were a few months of frustration coming out there.”
Jackson hasn’t started a league game since February, when injury ended that campaign.
And since coming back he has still had the odd untimely niggle along with seeing Ahmed Kashi, El-Hadji Ba and Jordan Cousins selected ahead of him in the middle of the park.
“I’ve been a little bit unlucky with a couple of games,” he said. “I think I would have started Peterborough in the cup and probably at Palace as well. I rolled my ankle two days before Peterborough - a complete freak - and it was the same with Palace, I pulled my groin.
“That was frustrating but it’s also been the case I’ve been down the pecking order for the league games. That’s the game, I understand that.
“We’ve spoken openly about it, there is no problem there. Obviously I’m frustrated when I’m not playing. I still feel I can and I’m capable of it.
“I had a bad injury at the end of last season which hampered my pre season. It didn’t help not being 100 per cent fit for the start of the season and that probably played a part in the management decision-making as well.”
Jackson also reckons his side don’t capitalise enough on dead ball situations.
He powered onto Johann Berg Gudmundsson’s corner to halve the deficit.
“It’s a bit of a bugbear of mine - I don’t think we score enough from set-pieces,” he said. “ I don’t think we are aggressive enough when we attack the ball. We sometimes let opportunities pass us by and they are goalscoring opportunities.
“I’m capable of scoring and every person attacking the ball should think like that. You have to be aggressive and really attack it. Sometimes we’re guilty of not doing that.”

Comments

• Options
    He made me very happy yesterday! Didn't think Luzon was ever going to bring him on :(
  • Options
    I reckon by the sound of things that if he gets fully fit he'll move ahead of Ba in the midfield order... Watching Luzon's comments on Sky when I got home and it seems the Manager is full of admiration of Jackson and isnt just keeping him around for the fans.

Watched him a lot yesterday and see him playing the Quarterback role for us, just sat in the pocket of Midfield, far enough away from the Fulham area which allowed him to pass the balls about whilst also having that Johnnie look about him of someone who would make a late invisible run into the box if possible.

Is a perfect position for him if he doesnt have the spring in his legs as can have Cousins doing the nitty gritty stuff to win the ball back, he wont be our Pirlo but he's a man who shows how he can adapt his game once he loses a bit of pace
  • Options

I don't think JJ will or should start every game. He is 34 now.

When Kashi is fit then I expect him and Cousins to be the starting pair.

The point is that JJ still has a lot to offer. Always had even though some people were writing him off 4 seasons ago. Were is Colin today?

He is a class player, leader, motivator, passer, defender and goal scorer at this level. And he has the experience too that we need with such a young squad.

Great to have one the bench when chasing a game or when you need to see out a win when there is one goal in it
  • Options

The point is that JJ still has a lot to offer. Always had even though some people were writing him off 4 seasons ago. Were is Colin today?

He is a class player, leader, motivator, passer, defender and goal scorer at this level. And he has the experience too that we need with such a young squad.

exactly
  • Options

Given what happened yesterday, and having been always one of the more vocal ones to question whether or not he's still got something to add on the pitch, boy do I feel silly. I'm not suggesting we all get carried away and automatically he starts every game, as I stand by earlier comments that it wouldn't work. However, the team just looked a whole lot happier when he came on. Obviously, the first touch being the goal really helped, it set the scene. He seems to be the one person that can instill a bit of unity by the looks of things. That's what we've been missing since Hull imo. That and leadership. These are the two things he brings in abundance, as well as his ability to score.

So we have a bit of a challenge around possible line ups and team selection going forward. The only way I could see him fitting in is as part of a 5 man midfield. Kashi & Cousins eitherside. Both of those two like to sit deep anyway (Cousins infuriatingly so). If you let Jackson just ghost and and have a free role like he did when he came on, maybe there is an argument there.

It will certainly give GL something to think about as we couldn't go on playing the way we did post Hull. We've been awful. And contrary to a few opinions on the post match views thread y'day, I thought we were terrible up until the point JJ came on.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

I don't think JJ will or should start every game. He is 34 now. (edit 33)

If JJ is not going to start games, and I accept he's not going to start every game.
    I hope he's a frequently used substitute. Not by putting him on to try and run down the clock in the 89th minute. Nor by putting him on to bail us out in the last ten minutes (even if worked Saturday)
    Put him on for 30 minutes, give him sufficient time to work his magic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Terrible?? No I don't agree with that. I thought up to the point of going one nil down we were playing well moving the ball around nicely, keeping the ball down & we even carved out a few half chances. The problem was when we conceded our heads dropped, we only grew in confidence after Jackson came on.

I can see based on the post match views that some people felt we played well, I just couldn't see it myself. I appreciate you have a young team there short of confidence and going a goal down never helps, but we were so slow at times. We really lacked leadership and as JJ said in his article about set pieces, aggression. There were a lot of careless balls and misplaced passes. The last 15 was a great effort and to be fair they kept going when others would've given up. Yet everything post Hull has been poor for me. The good thing is that drawing a game when you are 2 down feels like a win, so let's hope some confidence will kick in because of that
  • Options
    2 more goals and the half century will be up. The last players to score 50 or more goals for Charlton?

Leaburn 66
    Lee 65
  • Options
    In a squad short of leaders as well as next to no championship experience, Jackson's presence in this side will be pivotal.
  • Options
    He can always be our impact man, bring him on with 15-20 to go and let him re-stoke the teams fire.

He would be a great choice as a future coach, sadly though the main attribute that JJ has you can't really coach.
  • Options
    That photo is hilarious.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

whatever happens to him (and I still think he has a playing role for us), I really hope they get him involved at a coaching level at the club and keep him in that capacity, still feel we should've done the same with Hughes and it'd be such a waste to let Jackson go somewhere else.

However I think he'll be involved a bit more on the playing side over the coming weeks now

My guess, and it is just that, is that he'll leave at the end of the season for a coach/player role in the lower divisions. Southend or Colchester maybe.

I certainly hope he tries to begin a coaching/management career but he does seem to do a lot of radio work so he might feel that is an easier life.
  • Options
    I think we need Jackson in the side we a basically playing two defensive midfielders. In Cousins Ba And kashi. To me Cousins is our best cdm so he should play in middle with a more creative midfielder which is Jackson or Moussa. Maybe Johan but then we lose our bed wide player.we needed a more creative midfielder than kashi or bad in our summer signings
  • Options

Did JJ Break two CAFC records on Sunday ?

He scored 3 seconds after coming on from the corner.

Plus he wins CAFC MOM after being on the field from the 80th to the 98th minute.

Didn't Kermogant do the same at Sheffield United scoring as he came on?
  • Options

Did JJ Break two CAFC records on Sunday ?

He scored 3 seconds after coming on from the corner.

Plus he wins CAFC MOM after being on the field from the 80th to the 98th minute.

Didn't Kermogant do the same at Sheffield United scoring as he came on?
    Yann either came on for the corner or 20 odd seconds before ?
  • Options

Colin's busy telling Glynne's list it was Bergdich and Moussa who made the difference and Jackson nearly cost us the points with his reckless play.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Colin's busy telling Glynne's list it was Bergdich and Moussa who made the difference and Jackson nearly cost us the points with his reckless play.
    But he won't say it on here because he knows he'll be laughed out of town