Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advise please: London's best tours

Hi all. I just wanted some feedback on any London tours that you could recommend. Whilst I'm here I'd like to do some 'sightseeing' of my home city. I do like a good ghost story etc, I'm open for anything to do. I heard of an old tube station tour that was meant to be good. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    A Jack the Ripper tour - I haven't done one yet but plan to later this year. People I know who have done them say they are fantastic.

Here's one but there are many.

http://www.thejacktherippertour.com/
  • Options
    I walked over the O2 the other week. I really enjoyed it but is expensive at 35 quid each.

Mind you, you are looking over Beckton. Not very scenic but enjoyable anyway.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

Hi all. I just wanted some feedback on any London tours that you could recommend. Whilst I'm here I'd like to do some 'sightseeing' of my home city. I do like a good ghost story etc, I'm open for anything to do. I heard of an old tube station tour that was meant to be good. Any recommendations?

I would recommend Maltby St Market to anyone visiting London.
    Perhaps not a tour of any kind, granted. But worth a look as it's nestled away with some really good little food stalls just past London Bridge. Also come off of Druid Street and head toward the RV1 bus stop. A route with all major London sights along the way, all for £1.50.
  • Options
    Is this your business? I do love my tucker!
  • Options
    I know a few people who have done this and they said it was fun.

http://www.theghostbustours.com/london.html?gclid=CPiHw53V58cCFQadGwodsj0F1g

You never know, if you befriend our old mate Mr Ackworth on Facebook he might take you on one of his ghost hunts!

No idea if you are a Harry Potter fan, I'm not but still enjoyed the Warner Bros Harry Potter tour. Wife and daughter loved it. I'm told its nowhere near as busy as it used to be either.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

A Jack the Ripper tour - I haven't done one yet but plan to later this year. People I know who have done them say they are fantastic.

I done this one in the winter when it got dark early and thought it was good value for money.
  • Options
    My Mrs is a Johnny foreigner and she recently did the open top bus tour of the west end. Excellent she said and good value, £27 or close to.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I have done that one - it's very, very good.
  • Options
    Have a look at Dennis Seevers House and then enjoy a pint at The Water Poet opposite. Nothing else like it in London. http:// www.dennisseevershouse.co.uk/

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Are you still here on 19th & 20th Sept?
    It's "Open House" weekend with lots of stuff available that's not normally open to the public. I'd recommend the Bank of England tour and throw in their museum for free. You get to lift a (real) gold bar too! Check other stuff here: openhouselondon.org.uk/
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

£10 seems a bargain and you can go for a curry in Brick Lane as well. I think I'll do this. Thanks.
  • Options
    Boat from Westminster to the o2, then go over the cable car and admire the valley from a distance and take DLR back.

The right boat trip will get you an amusing commentary which goes right over the heads of most tourists but funnily enough is good for Londoners.

I know a bloke who does good central London walking tours but will need to look up his details if you are interested
  • Options
    How about a mystery tour?

Try and find the trophy room in the rusty tool box.
  • Options
    walksoflondon.co.uk

Self help walks with comprehensive guidance notes to print off, all at no cost. The Dickens secret city walk is excellent. Make sure you do it during the week though as most city (bank area) pubs are closed at the weekend.
  • Options

How about a mystery tour?

Try and find the trophy room in the rusty tool box.

He won't have enough time to find that
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

It's "Open House" weekend with lots of stuff available that's not normally open to the public. I'd recommend the Bank of England tour and throw in their museum for free. You get to lift a (real) gold bar too! Check other stuff here: openhouselondon.org.uk/

Was working that weekend last year nearby, and the queues were ridiculous. Unless there early, be prepared for 1-2hr wait

• Options
    Take a DLR to North Woolwich. Take the free ferry over to Woolwich. Take bus to Woolwich Dockyard. Walk by the river past the Thames barrier. Walk past the O2 to Greenwich looking over towards The Isle of dogs and Canary Warf. Go through the grounds of the Maritime museum and then through Greenwich markey and up to the Royal park, stopby the observatory to look over London, go up to Blackheath and take number 53 through "historic" Nrw Cross, the Old Kent Road and The Elephant and Castle" back into town. £10.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

Tucker?
    Which part of London are you from?
  • Options

ozaddick said:

Tucker?
    Which part of London are you from?
    Sorry, I've picked up Aussie slang from being there 22 years!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thank you all for your ideas.
  • Options
    As stated earlier London OpenHouse w/e sept19th:20th is really good. 2 years ago we got to walk outside and inside 10 Downing Street, the cabinet rooms, gardens etc

I would also recommend the blue badge guides - Simon Rodway is the master tour guide.

http://www.guidelondon.org.uk/blue-badge-tourist-guides

And if you just want to see london on the cheap get the #11 bus from west london (Ealing or Fulham Broadway) and it will take you all the way to Liverpool street in East London right by Brick Lane and Petty Coat Lane having taken in Houses of Parliament, the Abbey and Cathedral, Big Ben, "wobbly bridge" that leads to Tate Modern, The Royal Courts of Justice, Bank Of England and and and ... Worth a ride at £1.50 good luck!
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Was working that weekend last year nearby, and the queues were ridiculous. Unless there early, be prepared for 1-2hr wait

I expect they were using print at home tickets...