Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morgan Fox (ed. New contract extension)

edited September 2015 in General Charlton
Very impressed with him in the past two games. Looks really solid in defence and bright going forward.
Hope he continues to put the Fox haters to bed

Comments

• Options
    Here, Here......
  • Options
    Must have been a big confidence boost to have started both games and see Wiggins go to Sheffield Wednesday. His game has improved so much in almost every conceivable way, must be one of the first names on Luzon's team sheet.
  • Options
    I love players who can prove the doubters wrong. Partially why I love solly so much after people were worried Powell never signed a right back the summer before we got promoted and solly went on to easily be the best right back outside the prem (imo).

Come on foxy, push on lad!
  • Options
    I've been pretty critical of him in the past and I must admit to still not being 100% sure about him as a LB, however he's not really put a foot wrong so far this season and has definitely come on leaps and bounds.

long may it continue, seems like a top bloke as well from interviews I've read
  • Options
    Fox, is (has become) a very very good player. You can see now that he is playing with a lot of confidence, and is looking very solid at the back as well as becoming a decent outlet going forwards.
  • Options
    Didnt go last night but still felt he lacked confidence going forward on Saturday, particularly in the first half.

Well taken goal though so fair play.

Always like one of our own to do well but still feel he is more Paul Sturgess than Scott Minto...
  • Options

Didnt go last night but still felt he lacked confidence going forward on Saturday, particularly in the first half.

Well taken goal though so fair play.

Always like one of our own to do well but still feel he is more Paul Sturgess than Scott Minto...

I've always thought the same but last night I was impressed (I know it was against a l2 team, a poor one at that), I'm now starting to think there could be a very good footballer in the making but I'm still worried about lack of pace. Maybe with Bergdich in front of him could bring out the best

He was our main attacking threat first half but dagenham changed things around at the break and stopped him pushing forward. One great ball first half and one shocker in the second
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've genuinely always rated him, not like you Johnny Come Latelys ;-)
  • Options
    I think under Guy Luzon, he is our most improved player..Very underrated.
    He can put in a lovely cross, does his job well,and I'm sure he will get better and better....
  • Options
    He just needs a good run of games. Hope Luzon gives him this as it will boost his confidence and we'll see what a great player he actually is.
  • Options
    Was our most consistent player over 90 minutes last night. He has improved enormously.

My only comment might be that Morgan is very much a full back in the traditional British sense and not athletic enough to function as a wing back. If GL want to play with two wing backs I just wonder whether Morgan might just get left behind in the pecking order to Bergdich and ultimately THD.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Don't like to disagree with the Guru but but from start to finish last night he was athletic enough to cover more ground than anyone else,
    Also negated the most sought after player in league 2. (Jodi Johnson)
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Don't like to disagree with the Guru but but from start to finish last night he was athletic enough to cover more ground than anyone else,
    Also negated the most sought after player in league 2. (Jodi Johnson)

Fair enough but to be a wing back you need pace and ability to get up and back down the pitch many times during the match. I personally don't see him as that modern style winger/ full back. He's a little too one dimensional in that sense to me. In a flat back four I think he looks fine.

• Options
    Really warming to this chap, ever since I watched him work his socks off at wolves last season.
  • Options
    I was sat in The East Stand last night and as Fox was very attacking, he was right in front of me in the 1st half, quite a lot.

Personally, I thought he was our best player and biggest attacking threat.

2nd half, he was obviously further away and didn't impress as much, but I have to say I didn't notice all these misplaced passes some saw.

Anyway, he's very much improved, so well done to him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Some of our fans have a bizarre propensity to pick on a player who is struggling/has struggled, without having enough about them to realign these opinions once said player starts to improve/play well.

I think Fox definitely falls victim in this scenario. Read some of the bellends on the Facebook page and you'd take from some of the overly-negative comments that he was the worst player in the world. You then get people who, in a bid to defend him (which is very understandable) possibly overstate his ability also. This then turns into a weekly debate between the two factions, and it's very tedious.

Fox may not be the best player in the squad; he may not even be in many people's top five. But he's our best left-back at the moment and doing what's required - and not just for the last two games. Perhaps most importantly though, he WANTS to be here and play for us. You could tell how much the goal on Saturday meant to him.

In a world where players jump ship at the drop of a hat, I'm glad we've got a number of players at our club who have been here for years and are now beginning to form the nucleus of what we hope will be a good team. Fox included.

Brilliant post
  • Options
    I've always though he was decent and would probably remain a decent Chapionship player. But he's surprised me to be fair to him, I thought he was excellent against QPR. He looked more confident and comfortable on the ball, fingers crossed he continues to improve.
  • Options
    First time i saw him was season before last and he seemed so mature in that game I didn't think it could be someone so young. Good player. Said so then and say so now.

Interesting that he may be against Rhoys for a slot in the Wales squad assuming they go on to qualify. Good season for us and he could sneak it.
  • Options

First time i saw him was season before last and he seemed so mature in that game I didn't think it could be someone so young. Good player. Said so then and say so now.

Interesting that he may be against Rhoys for a slot in the Wales squad assuming they go on to qualify. Good season for us and he could sneak it.

Nah no way will Morgan Fox or Rhoys Wiggins get in the Wales squad next summer.

Will be Ben Taylor (Swansea) / Ben Davies (Spurs) who go for their Left-Backs, think there is a third player in that position ahead of our two
  • Options
    Whilst he played alright last night and scored on Saturday, I do think people are being a bit quick with the whole "told you so" stuff.
  • Options
    I can't honestly say if it's revisionism or whether I just missed it myself but his first appearances last season really weren't all that promising to my eyes. These days he seems to be going from strength to strength and Luzon had obviously made it quite clear that Fox was his first choice left back even before Wiggins was sold - and Fox has clearly been boosted by that and whether under instruction or on his own initiative has been venturing forward more than he did last season, which is really great to see.

But I can't tell anyone I told them so because I never thought he'd improve as much as he has. I was expecting solid at best, but he's got potential to be the left-sided Solly if he can match Solly for reliability... and that has come as a very pleasant surprise to me I don't mind admitting.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

I can't honestly say if it's revisionism or whether I just missed it myself but his first appearances last season really weren't all that promising to my eyes. These days he seems to be going from strength to strength and Luzon had obviously made it quite clear that Fox was his first choice left back even before Wiggins was sold - and Fox has clearly been boosted by that and whether under instruction or on his own initiative has been venturing forward more than he did last season, which is really great to see.

But I can't tell anyone I told them so because I never thought he'd improve as much as he has. I was expecting solid at best, but he's got potential to be the left-sided Solly if he can match Solly for reliability... and that has come as a very pleasant surprise to me I don't mind admitting.

This is the correct answer.
  • Options
    I watched Fox from the East stand last night and got a much better perspective of him. And was a lot more impressed than before.

I've not been sure about him, but think maybe its also because I've compared him against other academy graduates who actually are truly outstanding players (Solly, Cousins, Poyet, Gomez). Ie, Fox is probably quite promising, but because others who have made the grade are of such a high quality, he has not looked quite as good.