Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Northampton, Northampton, so good they....named it.

I've been offered a supervisory post in Northampton so will finally have to leave Cornwall and go back to the 21st century. Going up to look at rental properties over the next few days. It is a massive relief that I won't be living on my savings any more after my business kind of fizzled out, then I was being turned down for posts I previously wouldn't have applied for. So, this isn't about expecting you to share in my boundless joy...I was thinking of taking in some local League 2 football. Anybody been to Sixfields? How was it? Anybody know Northampton - and how was that?

Cheers for constructive comments.

Bollocks to the rest of you ;0)

Comments

• Options
    Haven't bean to Sixfields,but have been to Franklin's Gardens (rugby) a few times which is practically next door. Both located on what is basically a huge retail park.

Top tip...Sixfields is below a hill so you can watch the match without having to actually go in by standing by the road above.
  • Options
    It's a nice market town. The man above has explained sixfields pretty well.

It's not the arse end of the world, you are fairly centrally located for a lot of stuff to be honest
  • Options
    I have been to Sixfields many times. Relatively new but small compact ground. Parking available next to the ground but not too easy to get away quickly. Public transport to ground poor.
  • Options
    I lived there 30 years ago. It's not a bad place at all. Got the county cricket ground the theatre and the Derngate centre. There used to be a few decent music pubs, and a decent venue in The Roadmender. Not sure how much that has changed, as I haven't breen back since about 2008. I liked living there.
  • Options
    Spend a lot of time in Northampton and it is a lot nicer than I ever considered prior to the last 12 mths, it's no Cornwall though mind
  • Options
    I wish you good luck in a new phase of your life. Don't know Northampton at all but there are away games in reasonable distance from there.
  • Options

I've been offered a supervisory post in Northampton so will finally have to leave Cornwall and go back to the 21st century. Going up to look at rental properties over the next few days. It is a massive relief that I won't be living on my savings any more after my business kind of fizzled out, then I was being turned down for posts I previously wouldn't have applied for. So, this isn't about expecting you to share in my boundless joy...I was thinking of taking in some local League 2 football. Anybody been to Sixfields? How was it? Anybody know Northampton - and how was that?

Congratulations WMT...

Shouldn't that be

Cobblers to the rest of you?
  • Options
    Congratulations getting back in the game @Wheresmeticket?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I lived in Northampton as a child. It's a quiet town in a nice part of the country with good links to London and indeed most other places. I have many fond memories of living there, although that was fifty years ago!

I first got into football while living in Northampton, when I was friends with the son of Northampton Town's captain, Ray Smith, at primary school. That was in the early sixties, when the Cobblers were on their way to the old first division. Their promotion to the top tier was a truly amazing feat (even more so than Bournemouth's achievement last season, I believe). They had no history even as a 2nd Division outfit never mind at the top level and their ground had only three permanent sides. The fourth side encroached on the county cricket ground and so couldn't accommodate any terracing. That team rose from the 4th Division in four memorable years and, although they went back down almost as quickly, they did nearly survive their first season at the top and who knows what might have happened had they managed to do so. Fulham looked absolute certainties for relegation that year until they went on an amazing winning run towards the end of the season (like Leicester last year) and just pipped Northampton at the end. And so the dream ended. Northampton fell back down through the divisions, never to rise again. Graham Moore, a stalwart of our great 1968/69 side, was a member of that team.

The Cobblers were thus the first team I supported but, even while they were pitting themselves against the might of Spurs, Man Utd etc, my family moved to Bexley. Subsequently, as a teenager, when I wanted to support a team that I could go to watch, not one a hundred miles away, I callously rejected my first love and began to support Charlton. Northampton remain my second team, however, and thank goodness we've never had to play them since I changed allegiance. If we ever do, I will of course be cheering on the Addicks but perhaps a little more quietly than usual.

Sorry - all that is of no use at all in answering your question!

Still a nice story
  • Options

Congratulations WMT...

Shouldn't that be

Cobblers to the rest of you?
    Cheers Soapy. It's bloody hard to get taken seriously once you're over 50 it seems. Massive relief.
  • Options

I lived in Northampton as a child. It's a quiet town in a nice part of the country with good links to London and indeed most other places. I have many fond memories of living there, although that was fifty years ago!

I first got into football while living in Northampton, when I was friends with the son of Northampton Town's captain, Ray Smith, at primary school. That was in the early sixties, when the Cobblers were on their way to the old first division. Their promotion to the top tier was a truly amazing feat (even more so than Bournemouth's achievement last season, I believe). They had no history even as a 2nd Division outfit never mind at the top level and their ground had only three permanent sides. The fourth side encroached on the county cricket ground and so couldn't accommodate any terracing. That team rose from the 4th Division in four memorable years and, although they went back down almost as quickly, they did nearly survive their first season at the top and who knows what might have happened had they managed to do so. Fulham looked absolute certainties for relegation that year until they went on an amazing winning run towards the end of the season (like Leicester last year) and just pipped Northampton at the end. And so the dream ended. Northampton fell back down through the divisions, never to rise again. Graham Moore, a stalwart of our great 1968/69 side, was a member of that team.

The Cobblers were thus the first team I supported but, even while they were pitting themselves against the might of Spurs, Man Utd etc, my family moved to Bexley. Subsequently, as a teenager, when I wanted to support a team that I could go to watch, not one a hundred miles away, I callously rejected my first love and began to support Charlton. Northampton remain my second team, however, and thank goodness we've never had to play them since I changed allegiance. If we ever do, I will of course be cheering on the Addicks but perhaps a little more quietly than usual.

Sorry - all that is of no use at all in answering your question!

On the contrary that was a brilliant bit of history. I'm going to steal that story and pretend it was me when I am accusing other people of not being "proper Northampton"
  • Options

Congratulations getting back in the game @Wheresmeticket?

Thanks AFKA.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

I'm going to steal that story and pretend it was me when I am accusing other people of not being "proper Northampton"

I'd be honoured.
  • Options
    Congratulations ... and if you haven't already, you must watch "Not Safe For Work" !
  • Options
    Welcome to Northampton WMT. I was born, raised and still live in Northampton for my sins. Sixfields is a bit souless but not a bad stadium. The cobblers seem to be improving a bit in recent times so I would say it is worth a trip. Having said that I haven't been for years. Not a bad run to get down to the valley either, generally takes me about 2 hours. If you are looking for rental properties I would try around the Abington area. Walkable to the town centre and generally quite a decent area to live.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Hi thanks for the comments. I've finally got an agreement for a place near Abington, on a quiet street of terraced houses near the Artizan pub, ten minutes walk from work and ten from the park which is really nice. Visited it and it was full of families enjoying the weekend. Took longer than I thought and I had to negotiate with new employers to delay my start date, which is now 7th Sept. The stress of sorting this out from Cornwall has nearly killed me...Hoping my partner Mary will be joining me in a few months, but we'll see..
  • Options
    addicktom said:

Welcome to Northampton WMT. I was born, raised and still live in Northampton for my sins. Sixfields is a bit souless but not a bad stadium. The cobblers seem to be improving a bit in recent times so I would say it is worth a trip. Having said that I haven't been for years. Not a bad run to get down to the valley either, generally takes me about 2 hours. If you are looking for rental properties I would try around the Abington area. Walkable to the town centre and generally quite a decent area to live.

Yeh, we liked Abington too - nice restaurants, pubs, handy for work and the town centre and not too suburban which isn't my thing. I have to say the ability to get to London in an hour or so is a plus..and it was the only house where the landlord was ok to bring the dog...
  • Options
    Salad said:

Congratulations ... and if you haven't already, you must watch "Not Safe For Work" !

Jesus I did - it nearly made me change my mind. Too much identification!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Welcome to town, I'm in Far Cotton. The Artizan is indeed ok, recently done up, good pizzas - they also own Frank's Steakhouse chain, worth a visit. The Welly Road is hit and miss depends what you're after pub-wise, it's the other end of town for me now - Pickering Phipps good for sport, Old House recently done, up Crown and Cushion more traditional, some nice restaurants around about too. If you like real ale, get down to The Albion Brewery Bar, recently opened as a brewery tap within the ground floor of the Phipps Brewery; http://www.phipps-nbc.co.uk/12.html it's where I regularly reside and occasionally lend a hand - also about 100 yards from the Malt Shovel, another great beer pub. Been here for 23 years, still waiting for Charlton to get drawn against the Cobblers in something, not since the Country Ground days and the league cup has it come close - at least we've got MK away on the doorstep. Looks like there's a growing number of exiled fans in the town.
  • Options
    Abington is very close to the county cricket ground. As we seem to be "naming where we live", I am in the town of Olney about 12 miles from Northampton.
  • Options
    +1 for The Malt Shovel.
    Cracking pub, stopped off there a few times. They also get some great gigs, midweek and at the weekends.
    Enjoy your new stage of life!
  • Options
    Yeah - Remember the Malt Shovel. And The King Billy, also The Bantam Cock and the aforementioned Old House (at Home) - many a drunken rockabilly night upstairs in the latter...
  • Options

I've been offered a supervisory post in Northampton so will finally have to leave Cornwall and go back to the 21st century

WMT -are you supervising the whole of Northampton?
    Sounds like one hell of a job, hope you have some support.
    PS
    What are you going to do if it is naughty? Send it to Coventry?
  • Options

Yeah - Remember the Malt Shovel. And The King Billy, also The Bantam Cock and the aforementioned Old House (at Home) - many a drunken rockabilly night upstairs in the latter...

I won't be going to the King Billy, but I might try the others ;0)
  • Options

I've been offered a supervisory post in Northampton so will finally have to leave Cornwall and go back to the 21st century

WMT -are you supervising the whole of Northampton?
    Sounds like one hell of a job, hope you have some support.
    PS
    What are you going to do if it is naughty? Send it to Coventry?
    It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it. I'm starting with the pubs and moving on from there.
  • Options
    My local was The Cricketers Arms in Hervey Street. Proper old fashioned back street boozer, brilliant place. Wonder whether it's still there?
  • Options
    A good local ish team would be AFC Rushden & Diamonds, although still small they are trying to make it up the leagues again, and get very good crowds for that level.