Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v QPR | Sat 08 Aug | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

image v image
Saturday 08 August 2015
Referee: Robert Madley

INTRODUCTION
Feels just like yesterday doesn’t it… May 05 2015 was the last time that Charlton kicked a ball in competitive football as they we down to a 3-0 defeat against AFC Bournemouth, we’ve had a break of three months since that day, enough time for the players to take their holidays and re-charge their batteries.

We’ve seen familiar faces depart the club with contracts ending and Joe Gomez joining Liverpool, thankfully with that deal the floodgates never opened and new deals were signed by our two biggest performers from last term in; Johann Gudmundsson and Jordan Cousins. New faces have joined and there is an air of positivity around Sparrows Lane. For us the fans though, its time to strap ourselves in for the bumpy ride to come… Forty Six matches stand between Charlton and the Premier League, can they make it…?

THE OPPOSITION
Once again it seems as though the fixture computer enjoys throwing up either a relegated or promoted team from the previous season… Having started last term against newly promoted: Brentford; the Addicks find themselves starting the season against a side newly relegated from the Premier League in: Queens Park Rangers.

Last Season: The new yo-yo side from the Premier League; Queens Park Rangers started their Premier League campaign with Harry Redknapp in charge. Once again, they splashed the cash signing the likes of Rio Ferdinand but it didn’t help them one bit and they ended the season with the inexperienced Chris Ramsey in the hot seat. Having never managed a club side before, it showed, and Queens Park Rangers finished bottom of the pile.

Pre-Season: This Summer; Queens Park Rangers have had a variety of friendlies to prepare for the new season, they began in Italy beating Verona Stars (10-0) before losing not only to Monaco (1-0) but also in a match against themselves (4-1), their only other win of the summer came next against Scottish side: Dundee United (2-1) before two draws, against League Two: Newport County (0-0) and finally last Saturday against Serie A side Atalanta (1-1)

This Season: With doubts over the club complying with FFP rules, QPR have barely spent this summer and have had rather a strange summer in the Transfer Market; Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was brought in on a Free from Bristol City whilst Tjaronn Chery a Dutch Midfielder was signed for just over £2m from FC Groningen. With Charlie Austin and Leroy Fer no doubt set to leave Loftus Road before we hit September, will the Hoops be realistic promotion contenders this term?

KEY PLAYER
Is difficult to name someone in particular for this feature when Charlie Austin may not even be with the club come Saturday… Yet should he still appear at the Valley then it’ll be a perfect introduction to English Football for our new Defenders in Naby Sarr and Patrick Bauer… Austin began his career in Non-League Football with his big break coming whilst at Poole Town and signing for Swindon in 2009. Prolific in front of goal regardless the level, he scored twice in a 4-2 win at the Valley which resulted in Phil Parkinson losing his job.

Following his spell at Swindon, Austin would go on to spend two years with Burnley prior to signing for his current side, scoring 35-goals in just 66-appearances for the Hoops and proving just why he is one of the most sought after Strikers in the Championship at present. With Euro 2016 approaching, it will be a miracle if he doesn't move before the end of September; Charlie will be wanting to do all he can to catch the eye of Roy Hodgson.

TEAM NEWS
All I can really do here is shrug my shoulders… My guess is as good as any ones, the only bit of news that I believe I can confirm is the fact that Nick Pope will deputise between the sticks as regular Number one Stephen Henderson recovers from his latest setback.
In defence, Chris Solly and Morgan Fox will surely start as full-backs whilst up front you’d imagine that Tony Watt will partner new signing Simon Makienok as per previous friendlies… the rest, who knows.

Pope
Solly … Bauer … Diarra … Fox
Gudmundsson … Kashi … Cousins … Ceballos
Watt … Makienok

Substitutes Bench: Mitov … Sarr … Ba … Charles-Cook … Bergdich … Ahearne-Grant … Lennon

PREDICTION
The Addicks to begin their new campaign on a positive… Charlton Athletic 2-1 Queens Park Rangers

Comments

• Options
    Bump... :)
  • Options
    I really want to be wrong but this opening fixture is about as tough as it gets. 0 - 2
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Does anybody know how late you can turn up to your best mates wedding and it would still be socially acceptable?

It starts at 2pm. If I got there for about 6.30 would that be ok?

When can you start drinking... So long as you get there before that point I dont see an issue
  • Options
    I think QPR could really struggle this season. they have lost a lot of players. Having said that i'm not sure we have nearly enough up front. I'm going for a 1-0 win.
  • Options
    On the flimsy evidence of the pre-season friendlies I can't see us not conceding, particularly with Austin around. Question is, can we score?.
    Frankly, God knows! We don't know the personnel, we don't know what system, we don't no nuffink.
    Better say 3-2 Charlton then and a rollicking London derby win to whet the appetite for a promotion push.
    You know what comes next.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Does anybody know how late you can turn up to your best mates wedding and it would still be socially acceptable?

Yes that would be fine. As long as you remember to turn up rat arsed, insult his new in laws and pinch the bride's bum you should be in his good books no problem.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Louis, i would say it should be fine, unless your the BESTMAN and then there could be Logistical problems if you turn up at 6.30.

• Options
    2 - 2
  • Options
    3-1 to GL's Red and White Army
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I demand a win. So there!

2-1
  • Options
    0-0 The excitement begins.
  • Options
    Draw to start with 1-1
  • Options
    Surely Ba will start going by the reports in pre season that he has been our best player.

Dont want to see Cousins on the left but think we will - JBG, Kashi, Ba, Cousins.

Also - if Diarra starts centre half we will lose - we have spent nearly £2m on a centre back, so play him. Diarra is a centre mid, and if he starts on Saturday Luzon may regret it.

Still he is paid to make these decisions, and I guess in Guy we trust.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

So turn up at 2.00. Big question is how it looks when you nip out at 2.30 into the waiting Valley-bound taxi
  • Options
    1-0 to Charlton, Makienok to score
    I am definetly more comfortable with Sarr than Diarra at CB but let's just see what's in store!!

P.S. It will be 2-1 QPR if Mick Russell is the referee after Solly gets sent off for blocking a ball with his face
  • Options
    Comfortable home win, 3-0!
    Cousins, Bauer to score on his debut and TWWW to add a third :)
  • Options
    Ba will certainly start
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm Luzon's toyboy
  • Options
    CAFC 2 v QPR 1
  • Options
    1-3 to the hoops roared on by a proper away following,all of whom , as every away fan who visits The Valley does , come from London
  • Options
    I think the players will be well up for this. I think we can create chances. It's all a question of whether we can convert them or not. I'm going for a draw to open the campaign.
  • Options
    Have QPR sorted out their FFP fine then??? :neutral:

My first league game sitting in Lower West...3-1 to Charlton and I'll be asked to relocate for waking up the residents! :smiley:
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Hooray missed these previews. Looking forward to it. Hope we win. No idea... only QPR supporter I know is going to her son's wedding that day, she wasn't positive about their chances
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    3-1 to GL red army...Big Mac, TWWW and a JBG pen