Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deserter on Charlton

For those of you who like what we do and need a break from the deluge of transfer gossip (!), here's our take on Charlton:

http://deserter.co.uk/2015/07/charlton-village-people/

Comments

• Options
    Liked it apart from this comment: "The old, less than welcoming, crowd have been purged as the new guys try to attract new customers who won’t frighten off people with spectacles."

I drank in there for a few years and I wasn't scared by anyone and I wear spectacles. I guess its not the crowd they want. Shame, I think the same is currently happening in my local. Where do the regulars go then... to the Swan I guess.

• Options
    and a farmers market! with farmers market prices no doubt. I'm not sure if the village is ready for the upwardly mobile.
  • Options
    Thanks, Curb_It. Fair enough.

It was clear to me that there was something the new managers were keen to move on from, but don't want to be specific about. I've never had a problem in the 20 years or so I've gone, but neither did ever feel particularly welcome there.

Sometimes it's hard to get over something in a light-hearted way without putting someone's nose out of joint, but it was a development that had to be mentioned. It's a fact, they have turned some people they didn't want to see again, away. I can't imagine you're one of them though.
  • Options
    They had a farmers market in Woolwich on Saturday you know Baldy... okay it was behind the gated enclosure of the Arsenal but a farmer's market in Woolwich! Woolwich is posh. Well maybe I shouldn't go that far.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Curb_It said:

They had a farmers market in Woolwich on Saturday you know Baldy... okay it was behind the gated enclosure of the Arsenal but a farmer's market in Woolwich! Woolwich is posh. Well maybe I shouldn't go that far.

I often wonder what new residents of the Arsenal make of Woolwich. Do they dare to venture beyond the walls or do they live on Waitrose deliveries?
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Thanks, Curb_It. Fair enough.

It was clear to me that there was something the new managers were keen to move on from, but don't want to be specific about. I've never had a problem in the 20 years or so I've gone, but neither did ever feel particularly welcome there.

Sometimes it's hard to get over something in a light-hearted way without putting someone's nose out of joint, but it was a development that had to be mentioned. It's a fact, they have turned some people they didn't want to see again, away. I can't imagine you're one of them though.

Okay and I can probably take a guess at a couple but its Charlton not Chelsea. I just feel a bit sorry for regulars who have been in a place for years but have to move elsewhere as their faces don't fit now. Tho again, some of the faces didn't fit in the first place.

• Options

Curb_It said:

I often wonder what new residents of the Arsenal make of Woolwich. Do they dare to venture beyond the walls or do they live on Waitrose deliveries?
    Probably as far as the DLR / train station. But prob not much more.

• Options
    always mean to pop down to the anchor and hope again. been over a year since I was there. reminds me so much of the ship and lobster in Gravesend. you have to go through an industrial estate to get there and it's right on the river. also a bit run down but friendly enough. known as the first and last pub on the thames.
  • Options
    The Anchor has all new tables and chairs outside and a posh smoking shed?!? Also a new cockles and winkles stall.
  • Options
    Yes I walked past the Anchor Saturday and noticed all the that. I never seem to get down there anymore which is a great shame. Lovely pub.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, 12 covered tables outside - all full on Thursday afternoon. Always a good sign.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

And so cosseted that they are even getting their own big train set to save having to leave the enclave for the DLR or the mainline and mix with the plebs!!!! :wink:
  • Options
    Similar to Daniel Defoe's description of the Hornfair
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

It's a fact, they have turned some people they didn't want to see again, away. I can't imagine you're one of them though.

That fella down the end who always looks like he'd glass you if you caught his eye and refuses to move out of the way when you're taking your 11-year-old to the toilet and have just asked politely? Him? I hope he's been turned away. Used to make me dread going in there.

• Options
    hawksmoor said:

Vincenzo said:

It's a fact, they have turned some people they didn't want to see again, away. I can't imagine you're one of them though.

That fella down the end who always looks like he'd glass you if you caught his eye and refuses to move out of the way when you're taking your 11-year-old to the toilet and have just asked politely? Him? I hope he's been turned away. Used to make me dread going in there.

Do you think he was a regular on Charlton days or an actual pub regular?

• Options
    Curb_It said:

hawksmoor said:

Vincenzo said:

Do you think he was a regular on Charlton days or an actual pub regular?

from what Hawksmoor has said I would guess at a non Charlton supporting pub regular who didn't appreciate his local being taken over on match days by Charlton fans.
  • Options
    Great stuff as always. Usual problem, start with one article and suddenly find an hour has gone as you link to others...
  • Options

Great stuff as always. Usual problem, start with one article and suddenly find an hour has gone as you link to others...

That's great to hear, Algarve.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

That's great to hear, Algarve.
    Not for Algarve's bookie it ain't!
    ;o)
  • Options
    As interesting, informative and amusing as ever Vince. Love it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep, good read, Vincenzo.

Half-life sounds a character lol

• Options
    Big follower of Deserter on FB and the website, love your stuff Vincenzo. I just want to know what Half-Life actually looks like! :0)

Even heard a Palace fan at work talking about the site the other day. Not sure I like that.
  • Options
    http://deserter.co.uk/2016/05/ales-of-the-riverbank-part-1/

Deserter's lastest blog. Starts at The anchor, riverside drinking.

• Options
    Read that earlier Bren - I think my new cry of desperation may become "Half-life on a bike..."
  • Options
    Great read. Though for the record, Long Liz was never on the Princess Alice. She was an attention seeker and compulsive liar who enjoyed making up stories in the hopes of impressing people (sound like anyone we know?). That she survived the sinking is just one of her tall stories. I bet she never bargained on the attention she'd get post mortem. The other thing to remember about her is that she was Swedish and didn't come to England until her early twenties. So If there's ever a portrayal of her in the movies, it always helps if you can imagine her sounding a bit like the Swedish chef.
  • Options
    And another local one. Keep up the good work lads and lasses. I haven't actually read it properly yet.

http://deserter.co.uk/2016/06/whats-up-shooters-hill/