Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Options
    You need to move me14
  • Options
    clb74 said:

You need to move me14

Only recently moved here. Not sure if they have closed the M20 yet as traffic okay at the moment. Hopefully Highways England website was wrong.
  • Options
    A warning for next weekend. From 10pm Friday 27th July until 6am Monday 30th July the idiots who run our highways have decided to close the M20 in both directions between Junctions 4 and 6. The diversion is via the A228, M2 and A229 Bluebell Hill.

This means that on one of the busiest weekends of the year at the start of the school holidays, the two motorways to Europe will both be gridlocked, as will the whole of Maidstone and Medway and probably a whole lot more of Kent.

I cannot think of a worse weekend for this closure. I'm sure the idiots at Highways England try to find the worst possible time to close motorways.
  • Options

A warning for next weekend. From 10pm Friday 27th July until 6am Monday 30th July the idiots who run our highways have decided to close the M20 in both directions between Junctions 4 and 6. The diversion is via the A228, M2 and A229 Bluebell Hill.

This means that on one of the busiest weekends of the year at the start of the school holidays, the two motorways to Europe will both be gridlocked, as will the whole of Maidstone and Medway and probably a whole lot more of Kent.

I cannot think of a worse weekend for this closure. I'm sure the idiots at Highways England try to find the worst possible time to close motorways.

But it will be nice to actually see people working there! They've been there a month and done fuck all thus far apart from install cashpoints / cameras

• Options
    Travelled along a long stretch of the M20 near Ashford today and didn't see anyone working despite there being only 2 reduced width lanes and a 50mph limit.
  • Options

Thanks for the warning. I'm at a car show in Bearsted next Sunday, will have to try and sort out an alternative route.
  • Options

Thanks for the warning. I'm at a car show in Bearsted next Sunday, will have to try and sort out an alternative route.
    Thought they called it dogging :wink::blush:
  • Options

Not trying to belittle your rant but the schools break up this weekend....well certainly in Kent they do.

I live 1 junction before there & wonder if drivers will think about driving along the A20 instead, from Wrotham along to Maidstone.

Luckily I go away on the saturday down to Devon so will miss all the carnage.
  • Options

Not trying to belittle your rant but the schools break up this weekend....well certainly in Kent they do.

I live 1 junction before there & wonder if drivers will think about driving along the A20 instead, from Wrotham along to Maidstone.

Checked website and it states that although individual schools may differ, the majority finish next week. Whenever they finish though, it's a very busy weekend to close the M20.
  • Options

We are planning to go to that as well but we can walk there. The knock on effect of this closure will make all roads extra busy as people follow their Sat nav to avoid the chaos. All junctions along the diversion will be unable to cope with the extra traffic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Checked website and it states that although individual schools may differ, the majority finish next week. Whenever they finish though, it's a very busy weekend to close the M20.
    My kids break up Friday week.
  • Options

We are planning to go to that as well but we can walk there. The knock on effect of this closure will make all roads extra busy as people follow their Sat nav to avoid the chaos. All junctions along the diversion will be unable to cope with the extra traffic.
    I need to get there early to have the car in place before it opens so will hopefully miss a lot of the traffic. Better give myself plenty of time though.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up, I was planning on Folkestone v Dartford next Saturday. The A20 will also be unbearable so I'll have to find something else to do now.
  • Options

I need to get there early to have the car in place before it opens so will hopefully miss a lot of the traffic. Better give myself plenty of time though.
    What car is it, Dave? We’re planning to go to that :smile:
  • Options
    3blokes said:

MGB. If you're planning to attend in a classic, you'll need to contact the organiser as spaces are limited and often sells out. I can send you the details if you need.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I’m play at The London Club Saturday 11:45

Guess I better leave a bit earlier!!

Edit: scrub that, just read closure is next weekend not this.
  • Options

3blokes said:

MGB. If you're planning to attend in a classic, you'll need to contact the organiser as spaces are limited and often sells out. I can send you the details if you need.
    No car to show here i’m afraid I had to sell my potential classic a few years back. I’ll look out for your MGB and keep the kids well away from it :wink:
  • Options
    3blokes said:

3blokes said:

No car to show here i’m afraid I had to sell my potential classic a few years back. I’ll look out for your MGB and keep the kids well away from it :wink:
    Come and say hello, the car reg is AMO 888J
  • Options

3blokes said:

3blokes said:

Will do :+1:
  • Options

What about Christmas?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3blokes said:

3blokes said:

3blokes said:

Will do :+1:
    Brave man meeting Dave Mehmet in a field :wink:
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

I'm there too on Saturday, and teeing off at a similar time!
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Thanks for the heads up, I was planning on Folkestone v Dartford next Saturday. The A20 will also be unbearable so I'll have to find something else to do now.

The Folkestone ground is only a short walk from the Mainline train station.
  • Options
    Nitemare this evening. The M26 was backed up for miles & so was the M20 from j3........the A20 was also chocker from Wrotham Hill all the way down to the M26/M20 junction. I can only assume its the start of the Smart Upgrade & had lane closures. Also M25 backed up to j4 & lots of traffic coming off at j3 & going down to Farningham & along the A225 to Dartford.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Just the start of the problems, next weekend will be far worse with the M20 closed.
  • Options

Taxi_Lad said:

Heritage or International? We’re on the Heritage.
    I’ll be wearing a bright green top (vilamoura old course logo). Say hello if you see me
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Taxi_Lad said:

I’ll be wearing a bright green top (vilamoura old course logo). Say hello if you see me
    Don't like The London.........from the name (its in fucking Kent ffs), the almost mile long drive from the gate (where you have to give your name as if you're a pleb looking for the master of the gaff) to the American style nature of the course (loads of flat bunkers & water).

• Options
    its also the Folkstone air show this weekend for those driving that way
  • Options
    British Superbikes at Brands hatch this week today and tomorrow.

M20 looking bad already this morning with the motorway open, so heaven knows what it will be like next weekend when it is closed from 4 to 6.
  • Options

Taxi_Lad said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Don't like The London.........from the name (its in fucking Kent ffs), the almost mile long drive from the gate (where you have to give your name as if you're a pleb looking for the master of the gaff) to the American style nature of the course (loads of flat bunkers & water).

Tough track for you?? ;-)