Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greenwich Borough FC eyeing up GAA Avery Hill ground

This is interesting, but possibly a bit nuts - Greenwich Borough FC want to take over the old Gaelic sports ground at Avery Hill, which will put them back inside the borough (just). http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/13337654.Greenwich_football_club_planning_to_rejuvenate_troubled_New_Eltham_ground/?ref=twtrec

All looks great until you reach the line... "The ambitious plan submitted by Greenwich Borough is reliant on them moving through the divisions rapidly, with plans drawn focussing on the club being in the Conference Premier in six years."

One promotion every couple of seasons to send up in a place where Welling have been struggling. Is this brilliantly ambitious or utterly crazy?

Comments

• Options
    I don't know much about GBFC, have they got money behind them ?

The non & lower league teams in our parts seem to have become increasingly ambitious lately.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    The GAA ground is land locked with just the one entrance. The locals won't be happy if they start drawing big crowds.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how big the site is, but it seems a bit tight for a Conference-standard ground *and* housing.
  • Options

The GAA ground is land locked with just the one entrance. The locals won't be happy if they start drawing big crowds.

given they had the gypsies and their caravans on it a fortnight ago, i suspect they will be happy!

GB have been throwing money at it. Heard that ex-Spanner Gary Alexander was on 800 a week last season, and they and picking up other ex pros this summer
  • Options

given they had the gypsies and their caravans on it a fortnight ago, i suspect they will be happy!

GB have been throwing money at it. Heard that ex-Spanner Gary Alexander was on 800 a week last season, and they and picking up other ex pros this summer
    Part of it, is in Bexley.
  • Options
    They should save their money. A couple more seasons and they'll be able to snap up The New Den for a song ;-)
  • Options
    They may unearth another Ian Wright
  • Options
    Isn't Danny Dyer their chairman?
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Isn't Danny Dyer their chairman?

No i think he gave that up a while ago
  • Options
    Not sure about them signing more ex pro's but Jenko has been told he has to get promotion, a few of the old Cray Wanderers players he took with him have been released, the Chairman is seriously loaded, he lives abroad , I believe and his brother runs it for him, last season he paid for the squad to do a pre season training camp and friendlies in Cyprus.Gary Alexander was on a fair wedge, Gary Borrowdale was also there last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was about to say Borrowdale was there last season Steve. They signed ex Spanner Peter Sweeney from dartford this week.
  • Options
    also Michael Power ex Cray and VCD.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    Wondered who the money man was, so it's his brother who is chairman?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    Jenko has been told though it has to be promotion this year.
  • Options

Jenko has been told though it has to be promotion this year.

No pressure then.

• Options
    I think the cup run last season earned him another year.
  • Options

also Michael Power ex Cray and VCD.

Didn't know Shaggy had signed for them. He will score bundles at that level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ex Charlton youth players there last season too. Danny Phillips, Aaron Day and Jack Clark.
  • Options

Not sure about that, but the planning issue has always been that if the site is developed for housing there would likely have to be access on the Bexley side, which the locals vehemently oppose. As it's already got permission as a sports ground, it might be difficult to resist a football club at that level, though.
  • Options

Not sure about that, but the planning issue has always been that if the site is developed for housing there would likely have to be access on the Bexley side, which the locals vehemently oppose. As it's already got permission as a sports ground, it might be difficult to resist a football club at that level, though.
    The locals called themselves RAGE, residents against Gaelic expansion.
  • Options
    The funny thing is that when Borough were a successful side in the late eighties winning the kent league by a mile they could never get promotion as they couldn't get planning permission for a bigger stand at Harrow Meadow , the same Harrow Meadow that's now a massive housing estate.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

The funny thing is that when Borough were a successful side in the late eighties winning the kent league by a mile they could never get promotion as they couldn't get planning permission for a bigger stand at Harrow Meadow , the same Harrow Meadow that's now a massive housing estate.

You have to say that the council at that time was anti football, as we had our own problems with them.
  • Options
    Borrow dale lives near me - I was wondering how he could afford it as he does a bit of labouring for a gardener. Now it becomes clear he's on a decent screw at GB
  • Options

buckshee said:

You have to say that the council at that time was anti football, as we had our own problems with them.
    Remember the problems just to get floodlights on the top pitch.
    The irony was that it was the councils sports and social club!
    Working for Greenwich back then you had something like 8p per week out of your wages which gave you full membership.