Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snake

Can any lifers offer me any advice.
My Mum has a 3ft long snake regularly visiting her fish pond. It sounds like a grass snake to me. She is 92 and now frightened to leave the back door open in case it comes in. I know they are a protected species, but think it would be best if I could catch it and transfer it to a more rural environment. I don't know where it lives as her garden is neat and tidy, as are the neighbours. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Options
    Yep, almost certainly a grass snake - they love ponds. I'd leave it if I were you, it's not doing anyone any harm, presumably?
  • Options

Yep, almost certainly a grass snake - they love ponds. I'd leave it if I were you, it's not doing anyone any harm, presumably?

Apart from the fact his 92 year old mother is scared to leave the door open.

If I was you I would call the EA and explain that your mum is 92 and I am sure they will help
  • Options

Stay Rd there a couple of days, see it for yourself, get a spade and chop the head off problem solved

Someone finds out and he gets arrested for killing a protected species
    sounds like a good idea to me
  • Options
    Give this guy a call he's your man
    27.jpg 29.4K
  • Options
    I genuinely thought this was going to be thread about the nokia classic
  • Options
    But that's the point - they're harmless.....
  • Options

Stay Rd there a couple of days, see it for yourself, get a spade and chop the head off problem solved

better that scaring a 92 year old into becoming a recluse
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

But that's the point - they're harmless.....

try telling a 92 year old that
  • Options

better that scaring a 92 year old into becoming a recluse
    as I said contact the EA and explain the situation and they will come and sort it
  • Options
    Talking of snakes, there is a man with a big snake around his neck walking around woolwich
  • Options
    Grass snakes are indeed protected. It is an offence not only to kill them, but also to deliberately disturb or interfere with them.
    Explain to you mother no grass snake will enter her house, they are far too timid.
    You should be honoured to have such a wonderful creature visit your garden/pond.
    I'm equally honoured as one (or possibly two) bask in my pond.
  • Options
    Not sure the relevance of her being 92 really. Does that mean that no-one should engage her with alternative ideas to the 'snakes are bad, snakes are frightening, hit them over the head with a shovel' shit that sadly pervades society?
  • Options
    Totally understand your mum being scared, it scared me shitless finding one in my pond .

I phoned the RSPA , they said not to harm it, as if I'm going to get anywhere near it. Or alternatively,
    get someone to build a wall around it, about 2 and a half foot should do it, works well with a pre-formed
    pond.

Never get the love of snakes, poisonous or not .
  • Options
    this lot advertise their services in the SLP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vgdOjKkCkA
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Snakes deserve anything that's coming to them. Bastard things. The local vicar - that's harmless, not an effing snake!
  • Options
    In 666 lives a Mr Miller
    He's the local vicar and a serial killer.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Daggs said:

You should be honoured to have such a wonderful creature visit your garden/pond.

Yeah, that'll work won't it - telling a 92 year old woman not to be so stupid as she should be "honoured"
    Re-read what I posted. The word 'stupid' came from you not me.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

Off_it said:

Daggs said:

Yeah, that'll work won't it - telling a 92 year old woman not to be so stupid as she should be "honoured"
    No need to re-read anything thanks. I know it did, but it was your insinuation.

• Options
    Off_it said:

Daggs said:

Off_it said:

Daggs said:

No need to re-read anything thanks. I know it did, but it was your insinuation.

Your a mind reader now aswell ? I insinuated nothing. I suggested reassurance. Stop trolling.
  • Options
    Lol. Trolling. Nice one.

Lets leave it there shall we.
  • Options
    Remember if you kill it/move it you're removing part of the ecosystem that could be suppressing populations of insects and small rodents that originally attracted the snake in the first place.

I'm terrified of snakes, if it was an adder I'd sympathise more as they can possibly kill an elderly frail woman. My verdict is get a pro to move it to a protected environment.