Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VE Day

Sorry that it is a day early but I suspect that tomorrow might be all about the election result rather than the commemoration of the 70th anniversary of end of the war in Europe.

The club now has a memorial to all those that served by main reception. If you haven't already, take a look next time you are at the Valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US_CSO0JbGQ

Never forget, never again

Comments

• Options
    Be interesting to hear your memories of VE day Henry.
  • Options
    I've showed you my picture in Berlin '45 before, haven't I?

• Options
    Can't be you, cardies are far too bourgeois.
  • Options

Why did the Lib Dems change their flag ?

• Options

One of the greatest photographs in history.

Up there with the one of the flag being raised on Mount Surabachi on Iwo Jima...
  • Options

One of the greatest photographs in history.

Up there with the one of the flag being raised on Mount Surabachi on Iwo Jima...
    Great photos but they were both staged though.
  • Options
    Don;t forget the importance of beer in winning the war.

https://all-things-aviation.com/aircraft/spitfire-war-beer-runs/
  • Options
    I'll be raising a glass to Churchill and the boys after my shift tonight.
    All our pubs at Antic (the pub co I currently work for) have gone bonkers for VE Day this year.
    There's more union jack flags up around my pub than you'd see at a right wing rally ;)
    Plus we have cockles, so I'm chuffed.
  • Options

Video interview with 1946 cup finalist Arthur Turner who was shot down whilst serving as a rear gunner in a Wellington Bomber

Arthur is now the only surviving Charlton cup finalist.
  • Options
    How would we go about a petition to get the East renamed the Arthur Turner Stand?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    EastStand said:

How would we go about a petition to get the East renamed the Arthur Turner Stand?

You start one ; - )

Or you could ask the fans' forum to suggest it or the supporters' trust to do a survey.
  • Options
    It just seems mental to have am FA cup winner AND WW2 gunner still living, and the club haven't done anything to recognize him (officially).
  • Options
    EastStand said:

It just seems mental to have am FA cup winner AND WW2 gunner still living, and the club haven't done anything to recognize him (officially).

FA Cup Finalist not winner but it is a fair point. Maybe the Museum trustees could do something. Do they post on here?
  • Options
    On sale at The Long Pond today
  • Options
    Everyone in my office stopped what they were doing an observed a 2 minute silence at 3 o'clock
  • Options
    Just back from Gallipoli so I missed out on both the election & VE Day, great interview with Arthur Turner, a prolific scorer for us in such a short post war career, under different circumstances who knows what he could have acheived in the game.

From his RAF service to his decision to choose helping the family business over playing football we can see how like his generation he put others before himself. God bless them all and we should really do something for him as a club or at least the museum.
  • Options

Just read a fine interview with 95-year-old Arthur Turner (Sevenoaks Chronicle 19 May 16).
  • Options