Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deaths of horses at Cheltenham race course

The Cheltenham thread being about horse racing and betting on the outcome of horse racing, here is an alternative view, that records the deaths of the innocent creatures involved. You bet, they die.
Day one: Theatre Queen Fell. Injured. Destroyed
Day two: Rolling Star Fell. Dead.

horsedeathwatch.com/

Comments

• Options
    Elsewhere, some people died as we'll.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    And your point is ? Explain.
  • Options
    If they didn't enjoy it they wouldn't join in
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @Anna_Kissed
    Can we assume you
    a) don't eat meat/fish?
    b) don't consume dairy/eggs/processed foods tainted by animal fats etc?
    c) wear clothes or shoes that use any animal bi-products?
    d) use any products that could have been made using animal bi-products?
    And what about vegetables? Some of them have hearts.
  • Options
  • Options

The Cheltenham thread being about horse racing and betting on the outcome of horse racing, here is an alternative view, that records the deaths of the innocent creatures involved. You bet, they die.

horsedeathwatch.com/

Hey Josh why flag Anna's post? You can disagree with someone without being petty. Have a like on behalf of my 5 year old vegetarian daughter.
  • Options
    Horses make dog food. The circle of life goes on.

As it happens I cannot stand horse racing.
  • Options
    All race horses are lovingly cared for by their lads and lasses on a daily basis.
    If a horse didn't want to jump a fence, it would refuse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's not just Cheltenham, is it? That's an innocent animal dying every 2.5 days. That is disgraceful. This 'sport' ought to sort itself out.
  • Options
    Zzzzzzzzzzz bore off
  • Options
    Absurdistan, I have put a like on your post, not because I am convinced that there's nothing that could be done, but because it's refreshing to have such a well thought out and well put argument rather than people just trying to shout down the opposition.
  • Options
    Would those horses even exist without house racing? No

Do the horses enjoy running as part of a group? Yes

Do horses die in the wild through falling? Yes

Are the people who label the sport as cruelty to animals blinkered by their own narrow minded views? Yes

• Options

I definitely know where AK is coming from, even if others dismiss his views with a degree of disdain.

This makes a mockery of the "flag" option - it's an opinion and one shared by many, maybe not on here though....

Presume those of you who disagree have long & meaningful conversations with our equine friends, who state they LOVE being ridden into the ground ( some literally, sadly) , whipped & pushed beyond the limit time & again ?

And all for what ?

To make the rich richer, the poor invariably poorer & all in the name of "sport" ?

And the Bookies laughing all the way to the bank.

Just hope you gamblers never "come back" as a racehorse !

:neutral:

Do you eat meat?
    Wear leather?
    Wish for a time when you only see horses in the zoo?

If the answer to 1,2 is yes or no in respect of 3 then your a hypocrite.
    Personally I am more concerned about miss treatment of animals we eat or the decline of areas on this planet that wild animals can live in.
  • Options
    I assumed Anna is a woman.
  • Options
    WayneK said:

I assumed Anna is a woman.

Play on Anarchist!
    He's our resident tree hugger.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A cock then :-)

• Options
    edited March 2015

... Wish for a time when you only see horses in the zoo?...

This is a spurious argument. If it were true, we'd never see any types of horses other than race horses. I see lots of horses and very few of them are race horses.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Absurdistan, I have put a like on your post, not because I am convinced that there's nothing that could be done, but because it's refreshing to have such a well thought out and well put argument rather than people just trying to shout down the opposition.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/champion-racehorse-st-nicholas-abbey-dies/1592905/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews

This broke my heart. An interesting read here and elsewhere on the web of the failed attempts to repair minor damage to his leg.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Would those horses even exist without house racing? No

Do the horses enjoy running as part of a group? Yes

Do horses die in the wild through falling? Yes

Are the people who label the sport as cruelty to animals blinkered by their own narrow minded views? Yes

Very good post
  • Options

It always makes me chuckle when people choose to fall back on the 'if it wasn't for the racing industry/meat industry/dairy industry/leather industry etc etc there wouldn't be these animals' argument when it comes to discussing animal rights and what may or may not constitute abuse. I'm sure the animals born into an unnatural, short lived existence of exploitation are grateful for your compassionate reasoning.

Well said, narrow minded Mike !

• Options

Stig said:

It's not just Cheltenham, is it? That's an innocent animal dying every 2.5 days. That is disgraceful. This 'sport' ought to sort itself out.

And if horse racing didn't exist there wouldn't be many horses. Would people prefer that?
    Yep,I can't stand any type of horse. They stink and foul the streets.
    Floyd road on a Saturday dodge the dog shit on the pavement or wade through the horse piss and shit in road.
  • Options

It always makes me chuckle when people choose to fall back on the 'if it wasn't for the racing industry/meat industry/dairy industry/leather industry etc etc there wouldn't be these animals' argument when it comes to discussing animal rights and what may or may not constitute abuse. I'm sure the animals born into an unnatural, short lived existence of exploitation are grateful for your compassionate reasoning.

Eating meat and sports such as horse racing gives the animals involved value. What would you say would happen to the animals both individually and as a species if you had your way?
  • Options

horsedeathwatch.com/

Typical.

I had a fiver each way on both of them.
  • Options
    brogib said:

Eating meat and sports such as horse racing gives the animals involved value. What would you say would happen to the animals both individually and as a species if you had your way?
    Do race horses naturally occur or have they been bred by man to what they are today?
    I know they are sort of traceable back to some Arabian horse but like many animals they exist because we want them to.