Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do you need a good excuse to not go to a game?

Comments

• Options
    While reading original post I was thinking "ere we go again", but the fact you have only missed 2 home games since 87 tells a bit of a story. I was not overly enthused by the idea of going today to be honest and when work asked If i could do a shift today, i rather, without much hesitation just said ok, when usually, id tell em to f*ck off.

Charlton is still charlton regardless of whether you like the players/management. Needs getting used to as a charlton fan in particular, considering our history of player/management affection. For example, Johnny f*ckin Robinson.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    drewman said:

I've got two children under the age of 2 and I live 100 miles away from the valley so I have three excuses but without all of that I feel the same as the original poster and I can't really put my finger on it either. And I've been going regularly since 1995 when I left college and could afford to go in case anyone cares.

A lot of people on here and generally appear to me to have lost interest and feel let down and 'betrayed' since the 'Belgian takeover' and the sacking of Powell .. the calm after the euphoria of the promotion year .. BUT .. promotion was from the 3rd tier. We're with the bigger boys now and the Champ is full with bigger clubs than us with better players, more money and perhaps more ambition. Even smaller clubs than us are doing well. CAFC needs to stabilise and re-group as a club and as a business.

I am not enamoured with the current owners but I am a prepared to give them a chance to suss out this division and to give them time to see if the 'network' experiment works. Roland seems to have been the only punter prepared to put some money into CAFC, sugar daddies are hard to find nowadays, especially for a shop worn old dame like Charlton Athletic.
    Whatever, my football watching is only a part of my life. I can't get all teary eyed and emotional over a football team, almost paradoxically as much as I love CAFC. As I said at the start of this post, if you are fed up with watching Charlton, then don't go ..but give the new owner a chance, it's his first full season, new pitch, new players ,, Come on you Addicks !!!
  • Options
    My mate didn't come today as his boy is ill, I'm now wishing I stayed at home to
  • Options
    Dave 21 says "Charlton is still Charlton" but I am not sure it is. That's the problem.
  • Options
    My late Uncle, who paid his dues at The Valley over many years got it right

"They don't come and see you when you're bad"
  • Options
    I've got to say even though I read this forum often, I have rarely posted anything on here before. However, after reading the comments to this post I had to post my views on this topic, even more so after virtually everyone (except one!) who commented agreed and completely understood what the poster said!

Firstly, I've got to say that I'm the first to admit that I'm not encouraged or impressed by what has happened over the last 12 months both on and off the field...

BUT... I have to make these points which I've listed below after reading so many of the depressing and negative posts, along with some unfair criticism on a few things. I should also point out how funny it is that so many of our fans have a bit of a selective memory considering the shit we were in just before Roland became the new owner!!!

In response to the Roland Duchatelet criticism:

1. Before he become the new owner we were struggling financially and I can't be certain but administration was a possibility if things carried on as they were

2. Rock bottom of the league before he took over

3. Poor performances consistently, most notably the FA Cup Semi-Final which was so disappointing and negative considering the excitement!

4. I agree Chris Powell is a club legend and always will be, but these fans who always have and continue to wear those rose coloured glasses with anything to do with the man need to stop pining for him and accept the 6 months of last season he was still manager was a complete disaster really with poor results, performances, tactics all being the reason we were rock bottom at the end of January! Regardless of whether you like RD or not but Chris Powell had to go and it was the right decision!

5. The appointment of Jose Riga was slated by many before he had even took charge of his 1st game (again a lot of this had to do with the Chris Powell can't see no wrong brigade), but his appointment proved a brilliant decision by RD and Jose Riga impressed many come the end of the season and all those who were slating him certainly had to eat their words!

6. Some promising signings in the summer showed RD was willing to improve the side

7. A brand new state of the art pitch invested in without delay after the horrendous one we had the endure for a long time!

8. The Valley was given an impressive refurb including brand new seats for all those sun damaged worn out ones!

9. Although Bob Peeters appointment was again very unpopular and unexpected, the team started very brightly for the first 15 games, but obviously a poor run of results cost him his job, but I see this as a good thing also because it shows RD is interested in the team and results and wants it turned around as quickly as possible

10. Guy Luzon is yet to prove his ability but he has already impressed me with his post match interviews and saying we need to attack more and create more chances to score and not change our game when we go ahead in games and continue to press and score again... Something which I found Bob Peeters didn't get his team to do as well as being quite negative in interviews.

That's all I can think of right now, there's probably more but I am interested to see if my views get any response and if anyone actually see's it the same as me?

Anyway, the negative posts are quite unwarranted I think, it's still so recent since the take over and at least judge him after a season or 2 and that may have been the reason for his managerial appointments, to get the right one he's happy with and doing well, regardless of how messy and unpopular it may be to fans and look to people on the outside.

• Options
    Tony, I don't think after that post you are in a position to be criticising others for wearing rose tinted glasses.

You can spit out as many words as you like but it's a complete and utter shambles and if you can't see that then you can forget glasses cos you're just plain blind
  • Options

I've got to say even though I read this forum often, I have rarely posted anything on here before. However, after reading the comments to this post I had to post my views on this topic, even more so after virtually everyone (except one!) who commented agreed and completely understood what the poster said!

Firstly, I've got to say that I'm the first to admit that I'm not encouraged or impressed by what has happened over the last 12 months both on and off the field...

BUT... I have to make these points which I've listed below after reading so many of the depressing and negative posts, along with some unfair criticism on a few things. I should also point out how funny it is that so many of our fans have a bit of a selective memory considering the shit we were in just before Roland became the new owner!!!

1. Before he become the new owner we were struggling financially and I can't be certain but administration was a possibility if things carried on as they were

3. Poor performances consistently, most notably the FA Cup Semi-Final which was so disappointing and negative considering the excitement!

4. I agree Chris Powell is a club legend and always will be, but these fans who always have and continue to wear those rose coloured glasses with anything to do with the man need to stop pining for him and accept the 6 months of last season he was still manager was a complete disaster really with poor results, performances, tactics all being the reason we were rock bottom at the end of January! Regardless of whether you like RD or not but Chris Powell had to go and it was the right decision!

5. The appointment of Jose Riga was slated by many before he had even took charge of his 1st game (again a lot of this had to do with the Chris Powell can't see no wrong brigade), but his appointment proved a brilliant decision by RD and Jose Riga impressed many come the end of the season and all those who were slating him certainly had to eat their words!

6. Some promising signings in the summer showed RD was willing to improve the side

7. A brand new state of the art pitch invested in without delay after the horrendous one we had the endure for a long time!

8. The Valley was given an impressive refurb including brand new seats for all those sun damaged worn out ones!

9. Although Bob Peeters appointment was again very unpopular and unexpected, the team started very brightly for the first 15 games, but obviously a poor run of results cost him his job, but I see this as a good thing also because it shows RD is interested in the team and results and wants it turned around as quickly as possible

10. Guy Luzon is yet to prove his ability but he has already impressed me with his post match interviews and saying we need to attack more and create more chances to score and not change our game when we go ahead in games and continue to press and score again... Something which I found Bob Peeters didn't get his team to do as well as being quite negative in interviews.

That's all I can think of right now, there's probably more but I am interested to see if my views get any response and if anyone actually see's it the same as me?

Anyway, the negative posts are quite unwarranted I think, it's still so recent since the take over and at least judge him after a season or 2 and that may have been the reason for his managerial appointments, to get the right one he's happy with and doing well, regardless of how messy and unpopular it may be to fans and look to people on the outside.

Your not Tony Jimenez are you?

• Options
    Also tony, point number 8. Really?! I'm sick to the back bloody teeth of hearing about these new fecking seats!!! Half the ground was a building site with temporary seats in the 90s. I'm going to watch football not admire the quality of furnishing in a national trust house. I couldn't give a monkeys what bloody colour my seat is!!! Please please please stop giving Roland credit for this complete non-achievement
  • Options
    4. There has been endless discussion of this and I will concede that Roland's way of working and Powell's were completely incompatible, therefore Powell getting the chop was the only logical outcome. Powell won League One with players he chose, men of good character. He was denied the opportunity to build on that foundation.

8. The stadium manager admitted he was on a limited budget for the refurb, and the new pitch was paid for largely by the sale of Kermogant. I would argue that Roland has done the bare minimum required on this front.

10. You're obviously easily impressed. A nine year old could provide that analysis of the team's deficiencies.

I admire your optimism but sadly cannot share it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think I'd be inclined to stick to reading posts rather than writing them.

Anyway, point number 3 - when was this? I think I must have missed it.
  • Options

I think I'd be inclined to stick to reading posts rather than writing them.

Anyway, point number 3 - when was this? I think I must have missed it.
    If you meant the FA Cup quarter final you might find that the performance that day was as a result of Kermorgant and Stephens being sold and Powell being told which players to pick.

However, I'm sure that when I started this thread I avoided blaming the new owners or the new manager. I was just trying to see if anyone felt the same as I do. After being so obsessed with Charlton for over 30 years I just wondered if my loss of interest was due to something going on at the club (even if I wouldn't be able know, exactly, what it was) or if it was something going on in my own personal life.

I think I'm inclined, after the posts I've read, to think that it might be what's happening at the club.

I don't doubt your sincerity Tony but I've found that lecturing to people to tell them how lucky they should feel does very little to make people feel grateful - especially when they are not complaining but merely sharing their thoughts/feelings.
  • Options
    Any comments from those posters above who made all the negative posts about the team and the state of the club? Just interested to seexie if you still had exactly the same opinions a month on from this?

I believe Guy Luzon has done really well so far and his management style is very positive if you ask me... I hate the fans who slag off the new managers (regardless of the amount of changes there have been) without given them a decent chance at first! I said I was optimistic about this guy at first just by what he had said in his interviews, yet as always certain fans dismissed him straight away! I hope you are now enjoying watching the team play more!
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Any comments from those posters above who made all the negative posts about the team and the state of the club? Just interested to seeing if you still had exactly the same opinions a month on from this?

I believe Guy Luzon has done really well so far and his management style is very positive if you ask me... I hate the fans who slag off the new managers (regardless of the amount of changes there have been) without given them a decent chance at first! I said I was optimistic about this guy at first just by what he had said in his interviews, yet as always certain fans dismissed him straight away! I hope you are now enjoying watching the team play more!
  • Options
    It's always the darkest before the dawn

When results are bad and performance worse it highlights all the bad things people are talking about,

At the end of the day when the results are good 99% of fans will tolerate the stuff behind the scenes

Had the results been positive before the meeting in Woolwich I'd say hardly anyone would have cared

I said when Luzon was appointed his win % was good (regardless of leagues it was achieved) and if he was appointed by any of the other owners/chairman when we were looking for a mgr he would have been given the opportunity to fail

The problem is this network and it's lack of information in the public domain that everything will be looked at through sceptical glasses

I have issues with selling players especially youth and not reinvestment into the squad, this as of yet hasn't happened but it has been mentioned to be part of the plan

There has to be a point where we have to accept that this is how it will be and focus back into just the football

• Options
    When information does come from the club its always seems to be met with cynicism, suspicion and opposition.

Have we ever had any say in the appointment of managers or the buying/selling of players?

I would prefer to hear about new signings once they've signed rather than hear all the speculation.

If the club say they are looking for players but don't sign anyone nobody believes them, why not? Maybe they couldn't agree a transfer fee or terms with the player/agent.

I would rather they took their time and signed the right player than buying just for buying sake to appease the fans.

• Options

Any comments from those posters above who made all the negative posts about the team and the state of the club? Just interested to seeing if you still had exactly the same opinions a month on from this?

No change from me.
  • Options
    When I started this thread I didn't want to go to the game that day. I just didn't want to go. I didn't have any point to make, just didn't want to watch the game.

By the time we played Brentford I was planning to go but my son said he wasn't feeling very well and I didn't take much convincing to pass on that game as well. As the goals started going in I really wished I'd been there.

By the time we played on Saturday my Dad had come home from his holiday and I was, very much, looking forward to the game. I enjoyed it immensely. I'm still not sure that the club is being run how I would like, but I must be honest and say that I have often felt like that, long before RD bought the club.
  • Options
    I find it hard not to go even though we've had some dross over the years but you always think that this will be a good game but most times you're let down.

Early season was good then it dipped but the last two home games have been entertaining with us in a more attacking frame of mind.
  • Options
    If I can go I always will. I used to build my holidays etc around Charlton games but haven't done that as much over the last few years as it's not fair on my girlfriend, especially with her being a teacher. I probably miss two to three home games a season these days but that's usually because I'm not in the country. I don't go to anywhere near as many away games as I used to either and probably only get to 3-4 of those a season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My problem with the Owner and CEO was the lack of transparency and quality player investment.
    The player investment appears to be sorted, the lack of transparency has not IMHO. However while we are winning 3 in 4 and scoring 9 goals in the process I couldn't care less.
    If however we start losing again, I will bitch and moan with the best of them....
  • Options

If I can go I always will. I used to build my holidays etc around Charlton games but haven't done that as much over the last few years as it's not fair on my girlfriend, especially with her being a teacher.

My sympathies, it must be difficult to fit things in, as she has so few holidays. :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • Options

If I can go I always will. I used to build my holidays etc around Charlton games but haven't done that as much over the last few years as it's not fair on my girlfriend, especially with her being a teacher.

My sympathies, it must be difficult to fit things in, as she has so few holidays. :smiley::smiley::smiley:
    Ha - works hard enough for them throughout the year in my opinion…but that's a whole new thread! Paulie?
  • Options

To all those negative fans who replied to my post I sent in March when you were all berating Guy Luzon and RD already, does anyone think my positive post and excitement at the time is finally looking quite relevant and credible now???
  • Options
    Looks good on the pitch so far, although two games is far too early to make a meaningful judgement, the start we made last season is a good example of why.

We all have our own individual relationship with the club. Some people are interested only in the results and, to a slightly lesser extent, the performances on the pitch. For others, such as myself, there's a bit more to it than that. Excellent performance against QPR on Saturday, I just didn't feel any connection to it, don't think I'm the only one who feels like that either - a lot of long term, regular faces missing on Saturday, including a season ticket holder of 20 years who hasn't renewed and another one gone who's had a season ticket since pre-Selhurst days.

Roland and Katrien have severely damaged my relationship with the club through their (ongoing) catalogue of blunders on and off the pitch since they arrived - they need to work exceptionally hard to win me back and, judging by their handling of the season ticket fiasco, I just can't see that happening.

We could be 15 points clear at the top come Christmas and I'd still be delighted to see them sell up and take their money and their secret plan somewhere else. Others will consider that to be a ridiculous perspective, each to their own I say.
  • Options
    As said above , each has their own relationship with Charlton and mine is not quite the same at the moment as it was. Had I have renewed and my ticket not turned up that relationship would have suffered further set back, my relationship with Charlton 4,5 years ago would have put it down as one of those unfortunate things that happen. These days it's not on, if you want to treat people as customers then the complete service has to be 100% right, you don't book a table at a restaurant and expect to be told to turn up 30 minutes early to confirm your table. Yes mistakes happen but they continue to happen no one seems to be learning from their mistakes, the club has relinquished 100s of years of experience in Charlton Athletic for various reasons, we have a special football club and it's our football club we played a huge part in its past and want to a part of its future. It's up to the owners if they want to let you or they are only interested in taking your money.
  • Options
    The responses as I expected! :neutral:

Things in life change with time in every aspects of life, maybe you should realise it!
  • Options

*Firstly, I've got to say that I'm the first to admit that I'm not encouraged or impressed by what has happened over the last 12 months both on and off the field...*

*Anyway, the negative posts are quite unwarranted I think, it's still so recent since the take over and at least judge him after a season or 2 and that may have been the reason for his managerial appointments, to get the right one he's happy with and doing well, regardless of how messy and unpopular it may be to fans and look to people on the outside.*

Sorry Tony I was having a crafty read on my phone at lunchtime and missed this, but do your own comments in your original statement warrant being called negative? ;)
    Also to reiterate my early post some weeks back, I have nothing negative to say about Charlton only I don't feel the same. Things very un Charlton like are happening, the opening of the Pierre Bolangi memorial garden, cancelled and never mentioned again for one. (apologies if I've missed it) I want nothing but success for Charlton Athletic but if was just about winning trophies in huge stadium I'd be following Manchester United. Yes, as I said before I have more disposable income and more time to follow Charlton home and away yet but stay away and all I miss are the beer and a laugh with some mates. Ive donated the cost of my season ticket to the Upbeats and will continue to support them with our visits all the while I'm allowed too. But sadly I expect that to change as well, nothing has been said but I fear its coming, we'll see. :(
    Meanwhile hopefully the team will continue to improve under Guy and achieve whatever targets have been set for them.