Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luzon and Ex Liege players

So now Luzon is official, here's the next challenge!
I've seen a fair few comments from both Liege fans and Charlton fans banging on about Luzon and Bulot, Ben Haim and Buyens.
For him to hit the ground running and for us to secure our first win since Reading away this needs to work along with Henderson back and buying a number 9.
Now I've only seen rumours so far, nothing definitive and I suspect there won't be an issue with Ben Haim.
We all know we need our midfield to improve so will that be with Buyens playing a new role or Buyens on the bench?
If Luzon can't work with them then it's a car crash! But if he can then we have the makings of a decent midfield given we have Cousins and Gudmundsson plus this new kid from Spurs.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Thanks - I kinda ran out about 4pm last Saturday but all good now :)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    He has to work with them TBH and Buyens we don't have enough strength in the squad to leave them out or on the bench.They need to leave there differences aside and help the Charlton cause.
  • Options
    Ben Haim in particular & Buyens had their worst ever games for Charlton, under Luzon's direction.

(Matthew said in the 1st half we played the way Luzon had wanted).
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Thanks - I kinda ran out about 4pm last Saturday but all good now :)

It's a good job there's a few still upbeat! Honestly I haven't got a clue what line up GL will put out on Saturday. It depends who's fit, who has demonstrated in training this week that they are worth their place and who he is prepared to put his faith in after last week's debacle. I am not a fan of Etheridge so if Hendo's not fit, it's the Serb keeper for me. Same back four or maybe the new lad at CB for Bikey. JBG, JJ, Buyens, Cousins midfield, Watt & Igor up front. If JJ is not fit Bikey plays and the new lad CM.
    Edit; as mentioned above GL can't afford not to get on with players he's worked with before because we are so thin on the ground especially with experienced players, so it's almost Hobson's choice for him.
  • Options
    It would be interesting to see what RD would do should there be a player revolt. I assume he woould back the manager, and off load the players involved.
    But is this not something that we can all see happening in the near future and almost inevitable that something will, i really do fear an internal explosion within the club which could take years to fix.
    Is this a price worth paying for one person?
  • Options
    There won't be much change in personnel, just style of play.
  • Options

There won't be much change in personnel, just style of play.

Lets hope for that!
  • Options
    Usual CH players not good enough. Should go with youth. I've seen enough of young Joe Gomes over 2 years to know he is more than good enough to start in the CH position. All he needs is a chance. The new lad loaned from Spurs for the season is far to slow, but technically sound.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At centre half I think we are blessed with Bikey, Ben Haim and Gomez. And full back, Wiggins and Solly are sound, plus they also have the ability to play wing back.

To me the big question is the midfield and upfront... Can Luzon get the best out of Bulot, Buyens, Jackson, Cousins, Harriott and Gudmundsson?

And, given that M.Duchatelet has dropped him in virtually overnight it stands to reason that Luzon will get additional players to bolster one of the weakest attacking forces in the division.

I'm looking forward to a change in playing style because, let's face it, it hasn't been too inspiring over the last eight years.
  • Options

At centre half I think we are blessed with Bikey, Ben Haim and Gomez. And full back, Wiggins and Solly are sound, plus they also have the ability to play wing back.

To me the big question is the midfield and upfront... Can Luzon get the best out of Bulot, Buyens, Jackson, Cousins, Harriott and Gudmundsson?

And, given that M.Duchatelet has dropped him in virtually overnight it stands to reason that Luzon will get additional players to bolster one of the weakest attacking forces in the division.

I'm looking forward to a change in playing style because, let's face it, it hasn't been too inspiring over the last eight years.

Or perhaps he got the job but unlike BP he will accept not getting any reinforcements.
  • Options
    It's up to the players to play for him if they don't want to play for him I think we are going to see a few more displays and results like Watford.
    Hopefully jacko can bring the players in line for our club again.
  • Options

Ben Haim in particular & Buyens had their worst ever games for Charlton, under Luzon's direction.

So did Etheridge, Solly, Bikey, Wiggins, Cousins, Wilson, Gudmundsson, Harriott and Vetokele.

Bodes well for the future. </blockquo IMO Matthew should not have said that, two training sessions is hardly playing the Luzon way.
  • Options
    Although I agree that DM maybe shouldn't have said that, he's stated recently that he's looking at having a crack at management in the near future. It's hard enough as it is to get your first foot on the managerial ladder and I'd imagine a 5-0 defeat isn't something he'd want on his CV, so wants to dis-associate himself from it, esp if he didn't pick the team or tactics. Can't say I really blame him either..................
  • Options

Although I agree that DM maybe shouldn't have said that, he's stated recently that he's looking at having a crack at management in the near future. It's hard enough as it is to get your first foot on the managerial ladder and I'd imagine a 5-0 defeat isn't something he'd want on his CV, so wants to dis-associate himself from it, esp if he didn't pick the team or tactics. Can't say I really blame him either..................

Yep fair point Tango i just felt it undermined Luzon a bit - things are what they are at present and if the team don't get behind Luzon we are staring league 1 right in the face.
    I have worked at places where i do not particularly like my manager but i never used that as an excuse to go to work half heartily.
    Players are in a privileged job and they imo have a certain responsibility to us the paying fans, if they do not want to give us 100% they can feck right off.
  • Options

if they do not want to give us 100% they can feck right off.

but maybe that is the problem

Maybe they don't want to give 100% for Luzon and do want to feck right off as soon as they can find another club.

Some of them, maybe.

I don't know but I did see nearly all the same players play out of their skins v Cardiff when down to 10 men.

Gossip was they, the players, told Bob how they were going to play that 2nd half so maybe they felt they had something to prove and tried that little bit harder.

Or we were down to 10, losing 1- 0 and so had nothing to lose either way so went for it.

Whatever it is something isn't right at the moment and Luzon, Matthew and the players need to get whatever was in their heads v Cardiff 2nd half back into them.

Then with some luck and a few new/returning players we'll be fine. imho
  • Options
    The same squad has gone from beating Watford at home and losing to a last minute goal vs Ipswich to shipping eight goals in the two return games
    We can't do much except hope that Mathews, Luzon and Jackson can lead the squad back to the performances we all saw earlier in the season.To me that's all about getting the midfield to work...and for Vetokele to find his shooting boots.
  • Options
    Yep I accept that. My point is that we are in the second half of the season against all the sides who we remained unbeaten against.
    Luzon has to get the best out of Watt, Vetokele and the other players mentioned to give us a chance of getting this club back on track.
    Unlike Peeters and Powell, Luzon has worked for M.Duchatelet before so hopefully there will be clear communication about what is needed. Nobody wants us to sink into a relegation battle but this will surely happen if we fail to beat Rotherham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yep I accept that. My point is that we are in the second half of the season against all the sides who we remained unbeaten against.
    Luzon has to get the best out of Watt, Vetokele and the other players mentioned to give us a chance of getting this club back on track.
    Unlike Peeters and Powell, Luzon has worked for M.Duchatelet before so hopefully there will be clear communication about what is needed. Nobody wants us to sink into a relegation battle but this will surely happen if we fail to beat Rotherham.

This is the only thing part that is keeping from being completely against Luzon and hopefully because they have that history Luzon will be backed a lot better than Peeters, Riga or Powell were. He certainly hasn't hired Luzon to take us into League One.

The problem with the "Network" is we are being given players who are probably some of the best the lower echelons of the Network have to offer but they just are not good enough for the Championship. I can't see what RD would have to gain switching players who he knows are not good enough between clubs. I suspect his network of scouts say they are good enough because in their own leagues they probably shine, but the top half of the Championship is getting so much stronger these days that is almost on par strength wise with the middle to bottom half of the Premiership.

I also can't see what RD would have to gain from knowingly not investing in quality players, but his network of scouts must be convincing him that they have the players from within. If we aint' good enough then we go down and he loses money. Having said that bringing in this Spurs youngster is an interesting move and a Spurs friend of mine says they have high hopes for him in the future. Whether we see him over Bikey and Ben Haim is a different matter entirely.

I still don't like the way the club is being run don't get me wrong and if he sold us tomorrow i would be delighted (unless it was to Simon Jordan), but i certainly don't believe his intention is to ruin us. He is doing what he thinks is right. I don't agree with him and neither do a lot of us. I also don't agree with Luzon being given the job over better more qualified candidates. Time will tell and i just hope that the players he previously had problems with bury the hatchet and start performing. Especially if further strengthening doesn't happen.
  • Options
    I agree with the main thrust of what you're saying: the personnel, strategy and decision making is opaque. And we need quality from outside of the network to improve.
    The ambition to "not get relegated this season is the same as last - we need to be more ambitious.
  • Options
    Madz said:

This is the only thing part that is keeping from being completely against Luzon and hopefully because they have that history Luzon will be backed a lot better than Peeters, Riga or Powell were. He certainly hasn't hired Luzon to take us into League One.

The problem with the "Network" is we are being given players who are probably some of the best the lower echelons of the Network have to offer but they just are not good enough for the Championship. I can't see what RD would have to gain switching players who he knows are not good enough between clubs. I suspect his network of scouts say they are good enough because in their own leagues they probably shine, but the top half of the Championship is getting so much stronger these days that is almost on par strength wise with the middle to bottom half of the Premiership.

I also can't see what RD would have to gain from knowingly not investing in quality players, but his network of scouts must be convincing him that they have the players from within. If we aint' good enough then we go down and he loses money. Having said that bringing in this Spurs youngster is an interesting move and a Spurs friend of mine says they have high hopes for him in the future. Whether we see him over Bikey and Ben Haim is a different matter entirely.

I still don't like the way the club is being run don't get me wrong and if he sold us tomorrow i would be delighted (unless it was to Simon Jordan), but i certainly don't believe his intention is to ruin us. He is doing what he thinks is right. I don't agree with him and neither do a lot of us. I also don't agree with Luzon being given the job over better more qualified candidates. Time will tell and i just hope that the players he previously had problems with bury the hatchet and start performing. Especially if further strengthening doesn't happen.
    Simon Jordan is a palace fan so would have no interest in buying us don't worry. After reading his book I think I can safely say he won't ever buy a football club again! Agree with everything else you say.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    We may well get some indication of any rift that may have existed with players he's previously worked with from his team selection today. Personally I think he has to wipe the slate clean especially as he will be expected to dance to the tune of the pied piper by keeping his misfits in the shop window. :-0
  • Options
    Anyone there at Wolves with a view about Watt, Ben Haim and Buyens?
    Bulot back in a week or three so we will have to see what Luzon does then.
  • Options

Anyone there at Wolves with a view about Watt, Ben Haim and Buyens?
    Bulot back in a week or three so we will have to see what Luzon does then.

How many of the aways do you go to?
  • Options

I agree with the main thrust of what you're saying: the personnel, strategy and decision making is opaque. And we need quality from outside of the network to improve.
    The ambition to "not get relegated this season is the same as last - we need to be more ambitious.

Agreed. The quality of the network players would test the best and most experienced managers, let alone ones who arrive with little or no idea of the league, the opposition or the way things work. There's every indication that we lack the calibre of players and on what we have seen so far we risk RD agreeing to yet more cast-offs. THis weekend coming in a must-win game given what follows. Win that and we might get a spark of self belief but if we lose or even draw to Rotherham then we are in deep mire.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Agreed. The quality of the network players would test the best and most experienced managers, let alone ones who arrive with little or no idea of the league, the opposition or the way things work. There's every indication that we lack the calibre of players and on what we have seen so far we risk RD agreeing to yet more cast-offs. THis weekend coming in a must-win game given what follows. Win that and we might get a spark of self belief but if we lose or even draw to Rotherham then we are in deep mire.
    Just concentrate on milllllllllll and Wigan.

We will another three games, of that I am certain.
  • Options
    Feel sorry for Watt. Very likely his days are numbered before he has had chance.