Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Controlled Flares/Smoke Bombs??

So when we got back from the game, we were discussing today’s Smoke bomb saga! what i was thinking is I love flares and smoke bombs I think it is great HOWEVER it is dangerous especially when a drunk or drugged guy decides to get silly.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to have Charlton staff up the back of the stand and say, at games like Millwall or whatever let them off in a controlled manor?

There is no doubt it adds to the atmosphere, when it is done correctly etc...

Maybe this would then stop the need for fans to bring them in - or would it encourage more?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Interesting idea
  • Options
    Didn't add to the atmosphere today, was embarrassing seeing them set off at both ends when there wasn't even a goal, and twats who throw them kind of make this a non argument
  • Options
    Surely even in a 'controlled' environment there is a chance that things could go wrong where explosives are involved? Probably be hard to get safe distances etc.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Agree with bedsaddick, would be too plastic and is the type of thing you'd expect in Surrey.

It would look as though we're kids relying on our fathers to light our sparklers for us.
  • Options
    I completely agree with C4FC4L1f3, I think we should have smoke bombs and flares in north upper to boost atmosphere. Obviously, making sure no one is throwing them down to north lower. I, being Turkish am used to this pyro environment at football games and can speak from experience that they definitely help boost atmosphere...
  • Options
    Stupid idea. Sort of people who bring these into grounds are the same idiots who think throwing fireworks at each other is amusing.
  • Options
    You love flares and smoke bombs? (Oooooh, look at the pretty lights mummy!)
    What are you a budding arsonist? Frankly, I'd ask your GP if you can get some psychiatric help before it gets out of hand.

Adds to the atmosphere? Yeah, adds noxious chemicals to the atmosphere.
  • Options
    No! Dangerous and totally wreck the atmosphere. Go to a Bonfire display.
  • Options
    Why don't we all just make the the bovril a bit hotter in the flasks and all open them at the same time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The twat that threw it should be banned for life, the flare hit two girls in the lower north, fucking idiot!!!!
  • Options
    Funnily enough r.e. this topic...

When I was in Norway not so long ago, I got speaking to a football fan who followed Norway to every match they played. He was part of their 'utlra supporters' group of which you need an invite to, recently they have been granted permission for things such as controlled flares, bangers and smokes to FRIENDLIES. Not Fifa/UEFA run tournaments as they'd get int rouble, but flares they can as long as it's well prepared... they put on a good show in the home match vs Russia.
  • Options

Funnily enough r.e. this topic...

When I was in Norway not so long ago, I got speaking to a football fan who followed Norway to every match they played. He was part of their 'utlra supporters' group of which you need an invite to, recently they have been granted permission for things such as controlled flares, bangers and smokes to FRIENDLIES. Not Fifa/UEFA run tournaments as they'd get int rouble, but flares they can as long as it's well prepared... they put on a good show in the home match vs Russia.

very interesting, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    I'm up for bog rolls, party poppers and whistles, and let's draw some banners and dress in black and become complete twats !
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    How about at a crucial part of the game we turn all the floodlights out, (like Palace used to do when we played at Selhurst) then we can all light our torches, flares, matches or farts in a massive pyrotechnic display and forget we're at a bloody football match.

• Options
    razil said:

Interesting idea

Think about the cats !
  • Options
    Not good for Asthma sufferers, the smoke is toxic.
  • Options
    I can see this argument from both sides to be honest, if done correctly it can look very impressive (see Milan derby last night). But if one complete numpty acts an idiot then there is no point. We are not a fan culture which really uses flares or smoke, so will look to a majority to be pointless.

If you go abroad the flares and smoke which other clubs use with their flags/banners and streamers etc is so well choreographed it is really good to see.

Please don't associate decent fan displays with Palace, they don't hold a flicker of a light to some of the displays which happen in Italy or Poland.
  • Options
    They're muggy. End of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Depends which muggy is setting them off.
  • Options
    Used to have a cracking atmosphere in the Covered End in the '90s. Even during some dismal mid-Winter home defeats against the likes of Grimsby, there was always noise in the E and F blocks. No fireworks, no drums (until about '96).

They might be popular abroad, but in this country fireworks, banners and adults dressed in black from head to toe is very tragic and very, very Palace.
  • Options
    Throwing flares is both irresponsible and very,very dangerous whoever the tit was that threw the flare into the lower north not only needs banning for life but reporting to the police who should prosecute. If anyone has seen someone with serious burns I can assure you it is not a pretty sight. As for adding to the atmosphere? Give me a break and grow up.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Used to have a cracking atmosphere in the Covered End in the '90s. Even during some dismal mid-Winter home defeats against the likes of Grimsby, there was always noise in the E and F blocks. No fireworks, no drums (until about '96).

They might be popular abroad, but in this country fireworks, banners and adults dressed in black from head to toe is very tragic and very, very Palace.

That buzz was created by being back at the valley, lower capacity meaning always 70% full and mainly die hard supporters getting behind the team.

In this era, there are still a lot of fans who experienced us in the Prem and expect more than some. Add to that the shit of the last 8/10 years and there will be shit atmospheres.